On the Hurtado's answer to my question

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: On the Hurtado's answer to my question

Post by Peter Kirby »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 am
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm It certainly sounds like they tried to do exactly that.
True. I - or better, ''the mythicist who is in me'' - am both happy and disappointed by that answer by Hurtado. Since it is really (in my view) the only answer still legitimate by a historicist.

Afterall, why do I like the marcionites? Not surely for their being historicists, but uniquely for a sense of pure opposition to the proto-Catholic tradition (of which I consider the academic HJ gild the last residue in the post-modern age).
I have a few longstanding thoughts on this whole matter which are probably best summarized as a list:
  • The (proto-)Catholics were (and still are) more inclusive than exclusive. They were able to absorb almost any idea about what Jesus was: the Messiah/Christ, the prophet like Moses, a new Elijah/Elisha figure, the son of God, the heir of David, second member of the Trinity, and so on. They were capable of great syncretism, as well: if your personal bent was more polytheistic than monotheistic, you could treat the saints like godlings; if you were ascetic, you could join a convent; if you liked the idea of a goddess, you could worship Mary.
  • Many of the so-called heretical groups, on the other hand, were more exclusive than inclusive. Marcionites, for example, could not tolerate Jesus being the Jewish Messiah. Certain Jewish-Christian groups could not tolerate Jesus being divine. None of these groups could get along with Catholicism, so long as they remained exclusive; nor, however, could any of them get along with each other, so there was no way to "gang up" on the Catholics. I suspect that, in the end, Catholicism's cultural victory was at least partly due to their inclusive umbrella.
  • Since Catholicism was so inclusive, the only way to mark oneself off as something other than Catholic was to vehemently disagree with one of its (mostly inclusive) tenets. Just to affirm something (Jesus is god, Jesus is man, Jesus is in heaven, and I am an ascetic) would not be enough; you would have to deny something (Jesus is not god, Jesus was not a man, Jesus is not in heaven, though Christ is, and nobody who is not ascetic is okay with God).
  • Therefore, once the idea that Jesus Christ had been a man who lived and died took hold (for whatever reason, whether historical or ahistorical), the only way to mark oneself off as a true mythicist would be to deny that Jesus had ever been a man. To affirm that he was a divinity would not be enough; Catholicism was fine with that.
  • The heresiologists scoured the religious landscape for any and all heresies they could scare up and criticize. There is even evidence that they practically invented a few heresies, based on hopeful misunderstandings, just to knock them down. I remember reading an article about the prospect of discovering new bird species around the world, and the author said that it was virtually impossible that there are new species of birds waiting to be discovered in North America and Western Europe, simply because there are so many eager bird watchers in those areas, and have been for decades. Well, the heresiologists strike me as having done for heresies what bird watchers do for birds, if you will; there were enough of them on the hunt over the course of decades and even centuries that it seems very doubtful that a heretical group was denying that Jesus ever walked the earth any time after the gospel story was being taken seriously. If people were denying it, they kept it a secret and took it to their grave. This is why I find Doherty's assertions about the Logos apologists to be very hard to credit: I find it incredible that a whole raft of influential mythicist authors were writing those apologies right under the noses of the heresiologists without being noticed.
  • These observations, however, leave open the possibility that there were mythicists before the gospel story either took place or took hold, since before then there would be nothing to deny. This is one of the driving factors behind my hybrid approach to Christian origins. In that reconstruction, a kind of mythicism morphed into historicism. Any purely mythicist group which embraced the identification of its cosmic savior or revealer with the historical man Jesus would be Christian (and now historicist, even if only docetic or whatnot). Any purely mythicist group which rejected this identification would not even be considered Christian; it would be one of the Jewish sects or whatnot. The best way for mythicists to slip under the historicist radar, in other words, is to predate the invention of that radar.
  • To my mind, none of this proves that there was an historical Jesus, at least not without a lot of further argumentation. The possibility remains that there was only one mythicist, or a scant handful at most, who wrote the first gospel story as a symbolic narrative for the religion, which was then immediately and thoroughly misunderstood by later tradents as historical. I think that, if this gospel author (or set of gospel authors) belonged to a community which insisted on a mythical Jesus for more than a few years after the story was being taken seriously, that community would have been detected by the heresiologists. (For the record, I am not all that fond of this possibility, but I admit that it is one.)
  • All of these observations are mitigated, of course, if there are heresies of a mythicist bent described by the heresiologists. Giuseppe, did you not find some passages which may possibly be interpreted in that way? I think I remember remaining unimpressed with one or some of your examples but curious about one or two others.
I agree with all of this.

What might be the best candidate for a remnant of a "mythicist" position in antiquity is this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3119

An ancient mythicist accusation in Recognitions 8:62

In that thread, Guiseppe decided to deny it as soon as I tried to authenticate it.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 pm In that thread, Guiseppe decided to deny it as soon as I tried to authenticate it.
true. It doesn't satisfy fully the requisite required by Hurtado, viz. an explicit claim that Jesus is an archangel and/or died in a celestial realm.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 am
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm It certainly sounds like they tried to do exactly that.
True. I - or better, ''the mythicist who is in me'' - am both happy and disappointed by that answer by Hurtado. Since it is really (in my view) the only answer still legitimate by a historicist.

Afterall, why do I like the marcionites? Not surely for their being historicists, but uniquely for a sense of pure opposition to the proto-Catholic tradition (of which I consider the academic HJ gild the last residue in the post-modern age).
I have a few longstanding thoughts on this whole matter which are probably best summarized as a list:
  • The (proto-)Catholics were (and still are) more inclusive than exclusive. They were able to absorb almost any idea about what Jesus was: the Messiah/Christ, the prophet like Moses, a new Elijah/Elisha figure, the son of God, the heir of David, second member of the Trinity, and so on. They were capable of great syncretism, as well: if your personal bent was more polytheistic than monotheistic, you could treat the saints like godlings; if you were ascetic, you could join a convent; if you liked the idea of a goddess, you could worship Mary.
  • Many of the so-called heretical groups, on the other hand, were more exclusive than inclusive. Marcionites, for example, could not tolerate Jesus being the Jewish Messiah. Certain Jewish-Christian groups could not tolerate Jesus being divine. None of these groups could get along with Catholicism, so long as they remained exclusive; nor, however, could any of them get along with each other, so there was no way to "gang up" on the Catholics. I suspect that, in the end, Catholicism's cultural victory was at least partly due to their inclusive umbrella.
  • Since Catholicism was so inclusive, the only way to mark oneself off as something other than Catholic was to vehemently disagree with one of its (mostly inclusive) tenets. Just to affirm something (Jesus is god, Jesus is man, Jesus is in heaven, and I am an ascetic) would not be enough; you would have to deny something (Jesus is not god, Jesus was not a man, Jesus is not in heaven, though Christ is, and nobody who is not ascetic is okay with God).
  • Therefore, once the idea that Jesus Christ had been a man who lived and died took hold (for whatever reason, whether historical or ahistorical), the only way to mark oneself off as a true mythicist would be to deny that Jesus had ever been a man. To affirm that he was a divinity would not be enough; Catholicism was fine with that.
  • The heresiologists scoured the religious landscape for any and all heresies they could scare up and criticize. There is even evidence that they practically invented a few heresies, based on hopeful misunderstandings, just to knock them down. I remember reading an article about the prospect of discovering new bird species around the world, and the author said that it was virtually impossible that there are new species of birds waiting to be discovered in North America and Western Europe, simply because there are so many eager bird watchers in those areas, and have been for decades. Well, the heresiologists strike me as having done for heresies what bird watchers do for birds, if you will; there were enough of them on the hunt over the course of decades and even centuries that it seems very doubtful that a heretical group was denying that Jesus ever walked the earth any time after the gospel story was being taken seriously. If people were denying it, they kept it a secret and took it to their grave. This is why I find Doherty's assertions about the Logos apologists to be very hard to credit: I find it incredible that a whole raft of influential mythicist authors were writing those apologies right under the noses of the heresiologists without being noticed.
  • These observations, however, leave open the possibility that there were mythicists before the gospel story either took place or took hold, since before then there would be nothing to deny. This is one of the driving factors behind my hybrid approach to Christian origins. In that reconstruction, a kind of mythicism morphed into historicism. Any purely mythicist group which embraced the identification of its cosmic savior or revealer with the historical man Jesus would be Christian (and now historicist, even if only docetic or whatnot). Any purely mythicist group which rejected this identification would not even be considered Christian; it would be one of the Jewish sects or whatnot. The best way for mythicists to slip under the historicist radar, in other words, is to predate the invention of that radar.
  • To my mind, none of this proves that there was an historical Jesus, at least not without a lot of further argumentation. The possibility remains that there was only one mythicist, or a scant handful at most, who wrote the first gospel story as a symbolic narrative for the religion, which was then immediately and thoroughly misunderstood by later tradents as historical. I think that, if this gospel author (or set of gospel authors) belonged to a community which insisted on a mythical Jesus for more than a few years after the story was being taken seriously, that community would have been detected by the heresiologists. (For the record, I am not all that fond of this possibility, but I admit that it is one.)
  • All of these observations are mitigated, of course, if there are heresies of a mythicist bent described by the heresiologists. Giuseppe, did you not find some passages which may possibly be interpreted in that way? I think I remember remaining unimpressed with one or some of your examples but curious about one or two others.
I agree with all of this.

What might be the best candidate for a remnant of a "mythicist" position in antiquity is this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3119

In that thread, Guiseppe decided to deny it as soon as I tried to authenticate it.
That is the example from Giuseppe that I was asking about. Thanks!
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So Rylands:
It is stated in the Gospels that the disciples cast out demons in the name of Jesus in places where Jesus had never been. A statement which implies belief that in the name itself there was magical efficacy, operative before Jesus had made his presence felt at all. The same belief is implied in Mark ix. 38, where we read : “ John said unto him, Master, we saw one casting out demons in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followed not us.” The meaning of this may be that there were worshippers of Jesus outside the Christian community; in other words, Jesus-sects of independent origin. But it is reasonable to infer that the power imagined to inhere in the name “ Jesus ” was independent of the belief of him who used it. And not only in Palestine; for we are told in Acts xix. 13 that Jewish exorcists in Asia used to pronounce over those who were possessed by evil spirits the name Jesus, saying, “ I adjure you by Jesus.” The addition of the words ‘‘whom Paul preacheth ” is far more likely to have been made by the Christian writer than by the Jewish exorcists themselves. Confirmation of the inference that “ Jesus ” was already a divine name among Jews is found in the existence of an ancient formula of exorcism in which occurs the phrase : “ I adjure thee by Jesus, the God of the Hebrews.” It is unlikely that such a formula originated among Christians. Even if it did, it affords evidence that Joshua was a Hebrew god.
(Did Jesus ever live?, p. 42-43, my bold)

The Independent Exorcist of Mark 9:38 would be an example of preachers of a mythical Jesus still remembered by ''Mark''.

It would seem that there was no conflict between emerging proto-catholicism and the last vestigies of mythicist Christians, insofar the latter preached the mythical Jesus without conflict with the historicist sects.
iskander

Post by iskander »

One contemporary mythicist statement from the CCC: "Mary gave birth , but her anatomy did not record this event."
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3603&hilit=shroud&start=80
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 am So Rylands: Did Jesus ever live?, p. 42-43 -
There are other interesting points in that passage (paragraphing and other emphases by me) -
It is stated in the Gospels that the disciples cast out demons in the name of Jesus in places where Jesus had never been. A statement which implies belief that in the name itself there was magical efficacy, operative before Jesus had made his presence felt at all. The same belief is implied in Mark ix. 38, where we read : “ John said unto him, Master, we saw one casting out demons in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followed not us.”

The meaning of this may be that there were worshippers of Jesus outside the Christian community; in other words, Jesus-sects of independent origin.

But it is reasonable to infer that the power imagined to inhere in the name “ Jesus ” was independent of the belief of him who used it.

And not only in Palestine; for we are told in Acts xix. 13 that Jewish exorcists in Asia used to pronounce over those who were possessed by evil spirits the name Jesus, saying, “ I adjure you by Jesus.” The addition of the words ‘‘whom Paul preacheth ” is far more likely to have been made by the Christian writer than by the Jewish exorcists themselves.

Confirmation of the inference that “ Jesus ” was already a divine name among Jews is found in the existence of an ancient formula of exorcism in which occurs the phrase : “ I adjure thee by Jesus, the God of the Hebrews.” It is unlikely that such a formula originated among Christians. Even if it did, it affords evidence that Joshua was a Hebrew god.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Giuseppe,
while the same Argument from Silence would be weak against a historical Jesus in Paul (even if the latter never referred to a historical Jesus in all the his epistles).
(emphasis mine)

But Paul did refer to a human/earthly Jesus in his epistles:
http://historical-jesus.info/6.html

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

Christian writers admitted their Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin, the Lord from heaven, God Creator, the first born of the dead. Jesus was a non-historical being---Fake News.

1. Ignatius---Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
2. Aristides--Jesus was God from heaven who lived in a woman.
3.Justin Martyr--Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
3. Irenaeus--Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
4. Origen--Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
5. Tertullian--Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
6. Hippolytus--Jesus was God Creator--the Logos.
7. Lactantius--Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
8. Eusebius---Jesus was God, man and spirit.
9. John Chrysostom---Jesus was born God, man and Spirit.
10. gMatthew---Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
11. gLuke--Jesus was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
12. gJohn--Jesus was God from the beginning--the Logos.
13. gMark--Jesus walked on water, transfigured and resurrected.
14. Acts--Jesus resurrected and ascended in a cloud.
15. The Pauline Epistles--Jesus was not a man, he was the Lord from heaven, the last Adam, God Creator, God's own Son, the firstborn of the dead.

Jesus was never ever a figure of history. Jesus is propaganda to explain the fall of the Temple.

1.Aristides---The Jews killed Jesus the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
2. Justin Martyr--the Jews killed Jesus the son God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
3. Ireaneus--the Jews killed Jesus, the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin .
4. Origen--the Jews killed Jesus the son of Godwho was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin .
5. Tertullian ---the Jews killed Jesus the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
6.Hippolytus--the Jews killed Jesus the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin .
7.Lactantius--the Jews killed Jesus the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
8. Eusebius--the Jews killed Jesus the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin .
9. Acts--the Jews killed Jesus the son of God who was born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin.
10. The Pauline Epistles--the Jews killed Jesus the son of God, the Lord from heaven, the first born of the dead.

The evidence is overwhelming from Christian own writings---their Jesus was propaganda--Fake News to the Jews.

Dialogue with Trypho
.....your land may be desolate, and your cities burned with fire; and that strangers may eat your fruit in your presence, and not one of you may go up to Jerusalem.............. Accordingly, these things have happened to you in fairness and justice, for you have slain the Just One, and His prophets before Him
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 pm What might be the best candidate for a remnant of a "mythicist" position in antiquity is this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3119

That is the example from Giuseppe that I was asking about. Thanks!
Prof Hurtado answers that that passage is not evidence of a mythicist accusation:
I think you’re confusing things. The Clementine Recognitions is a body of text that grew over a few centuries, and reflects a complex body of teaching. So, what you quote is a “mythicist Jesus” but a complex view of the divine emanation linked with him.
If i understand well the his answer, he would have meant so:
I think you’re confusing things. The Clementine Recognitions is a body of text that grew over a few centuries, and reflects a complex body of teaching. So, what you quote is not a “mythicist Jesus” but a complex view of the divine emanation linked with him.
Therefore the existence of who precisely were they denying? Only of the divine emanation linked with Jesus? But not Jesus himself?

He [Jesus] is indeed within him, because He [Jesus] is everywhere, and is found within the minds of all men; but, as we have said before, He [Jesus] is dormant to the unbelieving, and is held to be absent from those by whom His existence [of Jesus] is not believed.
It seems in my eyes that the text talks about the negation of the ''His existence'', not about the simple negation of the ''his Emanation''/''Existence in other people''. In other terms, denying the source [the life of Jesus himself) of that emanation implies the his absence in all the other people.
FransJVermeiren

Post by FransJVermeiren »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 am
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2500
The belief in two crucifixions is one of their most secret doctrines (est unum de secretissimis eorum). They dare not preach it publicly, for fear that the people will scandalize.
(from Liber suprastella of Salvo Burci)
If I understand well Salvo Burci wrote (in 1235 CE) that one of the most secret doctrines of the Cathars was their belief in two crucifixions. Did the Cathars know about the historical 'two crucifixions' origin of Christianity?

I do not know the exact content of 'two crucifixions' doctrine of the Cathars, but maybe they read Josephus and they saw the parallels between his crucifixion story (Life 419-420) and the crucifixion of Jesus in the gospels. Anyway, their two crucifixions doctrine tracks with my chronological theory: Jesus was crucified at the end of the siege of Jerusalem (the Josephus story), and Mark constructed a 'second' crucifixion by antedating this event to the time of Pontius Pilate.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.