On the Hurtado's answer to my question

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: On the Hurtado's answer to my question

Post by iskander »

FransJVermeiren wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 am
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 am
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2500
The belief in two crucifixions is one of their most secret doctrines (est unum de secretissimis eorum). They dare not preach it publicly, for fear that the people will scandalize.
(from Liber suprastella of Salvo Burci)
If I understand well Salvo Burci wrote (in 1235 CE) that one of the most secret doctrines of the Cathars was their belief in two crucifixions. Did the Cathars know about the historical 'two crucifixions' origin of Christianity?

I do not know the exact content of 'two crucifixions' doctrine of the Cathars, but maybe they read Josephus and they saw the parallels between his crucifixion story (Life 419-420) and the crucifixion of Jesus in the gospels. Anyway, their two crucifixions doctrine tracks with my chronological theory: Jesus was crucified at the end of the siege of Jerusalem (the Josephus story), and Mark constructed a 'second' crucifixion by antedating this event to the time of Pontius Pilate.
Salvo Burci: this link says nothing about crucifixion.
https://muse.jhu.edu/article/235463

The heresy is reported as follows in , ecclesiastical empire, Alonzo Trevier Jones, Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1901, by Alonzo Trevier Jones, In the office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington.

" The six points on which the argument was held were, first, that they refused obedience to the authority of pope and prelate; second, that all, even laymen, can preach; third, that, according to the apostles, God is to be obeyed rather than man; fourth, that women may preach; fifth, that masses, prayers, and alms for the dead are of no avail, with the addition that some of them denied the existence of purgatory; and sixth that prayer in bed, or in a chamber, or in a stable, is as efficacious as in a church."
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm to Giuseppe,
while the same Argument from Silence would be weak against a historical Jesus in Paul (even if the latter never referred to a historical Jesus in all the his epistles).
(emphasis mine)

But Paul did refer to a human/earthly Jesus in his epistles:
http://historical-jesus.info/6.html

Cordially, Bernard
He refers to a Jesus *in the form* of human beings, not to a fully human Jesus.

Hurtado has persuaded me that the historicists have only a serious argument that has still to be confuted: the presumed lack of evidence of mythicist sects among these listed by the winners.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
iskander

Post by iskander »

iskander wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 am
Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 am
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2500
The belief in two crucifixions is one of their most secret doctrines (est unum de secretissimis eorum). They dare not preach it publicly, for fear that the people will scandalize.
(from Liber suprastella of Salvo Burci)
If I understand well Salvo Burci wrote (in 1235 CE) that one of the most secret doctrines of the Cathars was their belief in two crucifixions. Did the Cathars know about the historical 'two crucifixions' origin of Christianity?

I do not know the exact content of 'two crucifixions' doctrine of the Cathars, but maybe they read Josephus and they saw the parallels between his crucifixion story (Life 419-420) and the crucifixion of Jesus in the gospels. Anyway, their two crucifixions doctrine tracks with my chronological theory: Jesus was crucified at the end of the siege of Jerusalem (the Josephus story), and Mark constructed a 'second' crucifixion by antedating this event to the time of Pontius Pilate.

The heresy is reported as follows in , ecclesiastical empire, Alonzo Trevier Jones, Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1901, by Alonzo Trevier Jones, In the office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington.

" The six points on which the argument was held were, first, that they refused obedience to the authority of pope and prelate; second, that all, even laymen, can preach; third, that, according to the apostles, God is to be obeyed rather than man; fourth, that women may preach; fifth, that masses, prayers, and alms for the dead are of no avail, with the addition that some of them denied the existence of purgatory; and sixth that prayer in bed, or in a chamber, or in a stable, is as efficacious as in a church."
Marcion never died: The Old Testament they discredited, pronouncing it the work of the devil. Its God is an evil god. 989

As for the eucharist, the Cathari held that God would not appoint the consecrated host as a medium of grace, nor can God be in the host, for it passes through the belly, and the vilest part of the body.1001

The marriage bed was renounced as contrary to God’s law, and some went so far as to say openly that the human body was made by the devil.
The love of husband and wife should be like the love of Christ for the Church, without carnal desire. The command to avoid looking on a woman, Matt. 5:27, 28, was taken literally, and the command to leave husband and wife was interpreted to mean the renunciation of sexual cohabitation. Witnesses condemned marriage absolutely, 1003 and no man or woman living in sexual relations could be saved. The opinion prevailed, at least among some Catharan groups, that the eating of the forbidden fruit in Eden meant carnal cohabitation.1004

And finally:
Triclavianism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triclavianism
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Carrier has replied to Hurtado. And he is cruel.

https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/13512

I would agree with anything he writes. But note what is surprisingly missing in Carrier's answer: no confutation of the (only serious) Hurtado's argument (presumed zero evidence of mythicist sects listed by the proto-Catholics).

Carrier is surely correct to repeat the Philo's Jesus argument as evidence of a mythical Jesus, but I would like to hear about a (entirely) mythical Jesus by a post-Gospel Christian sect.
iskander

Post by iskander »

And the cross is mentioned

The Cathari also renounced priestly vestments, altars, and crosses as idolatrous. They called the cross the mark of the beast, and declared it had no more virtue than a ribbon for binding the hair. It was the instrument of Christ’s shame and death, and therefore not to be used.1009 Thorns or a spear would be as appropriate for religious symbols as the cross.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

He refers to a Jesus *in the form* of human beings, not to a fully human Jesus.
The reason that Paul said that in Romans & Philippians is (from http://historical-jesus.info/djp1.html):
And because the Son is an eternal heavenly entity for Paul, then expressions like "human likeness" and "human shape" would be expected in order to describe the incarnation as atypical/abnormal/temporary:
a) Homer, 'The Iliad', Book 5 "... now Ares [god of war] is with him [Hektor] in the likeness of mortal man."
b) Herodotus, 'Histories', Book 7, Chapter 56 "It is said that when Xerxes [the Persian king] had now crossed the Hellespont, a man of the Hellespont cried, "O Zeus, why have you taken the likeness of a Persian man and changed your name to Xerxes, ..."
c) Apollodorus, 'Library and Epitome', Book 1, Chapter 9 "But Poseidon in the likeness of Enipeus lay with her, and she secretly gave birth to twin sons ..."
d) Jewish author Philo of Alexandria, (died 45-50), 'On dreams', I, (238) "God at times assumes the likeness of the angels, as he sometimes assumes even that of men"
e) Philo, 'Questions and answers on Genesis', I, (92) "... these giants were sprung from ... angels and mortal women; for the substance of angels is spiritual; but it occurs every now and then that on emergencies occurring they have imitated the appearance of men, and transformed themselves so as to assume the human shape; [and then fathered children with mortal women on earth (extrapolated from Ge6:4):] as they did on this occasion, when forming connexions with women for the production of giants."
f) Acts 14:11-12 NKJV "Now when the people saw what Paul had done, they raised their voices, saying in the Lycaonian language, "The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!" And Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker."
g) 'The Ascension of Isaiah' 4:2-3 (quoted next in 2.5.1.2.) where Beliar (Satan), from the firmament, comes down to earth as Nero (through an earthly mother!) "in the likeness of a man".
Note: the one in the likeness of a god can be a fully human (Xerxes, Paul, Nero) or a god/angel going through a "docetist" incarnation.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

iskander wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 am

I'm pretty sure that the six points arose in a debate between the Roman Catholics and the Waldensians.
The Waldensians are quite different from the Cathars.
See HC Lea

Andrew Criddle
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Hurtado attacks Carrier about the question of Philo's Jesus. He is repeating the argument raised by many (that the guy named Anatole is not Joshua the High Priest and Philo knew it). I will see how he will reply (wrongly) to the Argument From the Extreme Improbability of a Coincidence-that-is-not-a-coincidence.

Even so, his more strong argument continues to be the absence of post-Gospel Christian mythicist evidence.
iskander

Post by iskander »

andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that the six points arose in a debate between the Roman Catholics and the Waldensians.
The Waldensians are quite different from the Cathars.
See HC Lea

Andrew Criddle
The Poor Men of Lyons, , of the Waldenses.

55. In 1184, by a council held at Verona, Pope Lucius III confirmed the foregoing decree of Alexander III, and sent forth a bull, as follows: --
"Ecclesiastical justice could not show too much rigor in annihilating the heresies which now multiply in a large number of the provinces. Already has Rome braved the thunders of the holy see; and her intractable people have dared, from hatred of one person, to lay a sacrilegious hand upon our priests. But the day of vengeance is preparing; and, until we can return to those Romans the evils they have inflicted on us, we excommunicate all heretics, whatever may be their appellation. Among others, the Catharins, the Patarins, those who falsely call themselves the Humiliated, or the Poor of Lyons, as well as the Passagins, the Josephins, the Arnaudists; and, finally, all those wretches who call themselves Vaudois, or enemies of the holy see. We strike these abominable sectarians with a perpetual anathema; we condemn those who shall give them shelter or protection to the same penalties, and who shall call themselves Consoled, Perfect Believers, or by any other superstitious name.

"And as the severity of ecclesiastical discipline is sometimes despised and powerless, we order that
those who shall be convicted of favoring heretics, if they are clergy or monks, shall be despoiled of their sacerdotal functions, and of their benefices, and shall be abandoned to all the rigors of secular justice; if laymen, we order that they suffer the most horrid tortures, be proved by fire and sword, torn by stripes, and burned alive.
We add, by advice of the bishops, and on the remonstrances of the emperor and the lords, that every prelate shall visit, several times during the year, either in person or by his archdeacon, all the cities of his diocese, and particularly the places in which he shall judge that the heretics hold their assemblies. They shall cause the inhabitants, and especially the old men, women, and children, to be seized. They shall interrogate them to know if there are any Vaudois in their country, or people who hold secret assemblies, and who lead a life differing from that of the faithful. Those who shall hesitate to make denunciations, shall be immediately put to the torture.

"We order, besides, the counts, barons, rectors, and consuls of cities, and other places, to engage by oath, in accordance with the warning of the bishops, to persecute heretics and their accomplices, when they shall be so required to do by the Church; and to execute, with all their power, all that the holy see and the empire have appointed in regard to the crimes of heresy: otherwise, we declare them deprived of their offices and dignities, without the power ever again to hold any employment; and, moreover, they shall be excommunicated forever, and their property placed under interdict.
"The cities which shall resist our orders, or which, having been warned by the bishops, shall neglect to
pursue the heretics, shall be excluded from all commerce with other cities, and shall lose their rank and privileges. The citizens shall be excommunicated, noted with perpetual infamy, and as such declared unfit to fill any public or ecclesiastical function. All the faithful shall have the right to kill them, seize their goods, and reduce them to slavery."45

56. This bull had so little practical effect that the condemnation had to be repeated by the same pope, at a council held at Narbonne in the same year. And even this was so little effective that the Poor Men of Lyons, of the Waldenses, "agreed, about 1190, to take the chances of a disputation held in the cathedral of Narbonne, with Raymond of Daventry, a religious and God-fearing Catholic, as judge. Of course the decision went against them, and of course they were as little inclined as before to submit, but the colloquy has an interest as showing what progress at that period they had made in dissidence from Rome. The six points on which the argument was held were, first, that they refused obedience to the authority of pope and prelate; second, that all, even laymen, can preach; third, that, according to the apostles, God is to be obeyed rather than man; fourth, that women may preach; fifth, that masses, prayers, and alms for the dead are of no avail, with the addition that some of them denied the existence of purgatory; and sixth that prayer in bed, or in a chamber, or in a stable, is as efficacious as in a church."

Milton's sonnet "On the Late Massacre in Piedmont" (1655)
Peter Valdes (also known as Waldo) came into prominence in the last half of the 12th Century, as the leader of a religious group that came to be known as the Waldensians (or Waldenses). He was a rich merchant in Lyons, France, who around 1170 renounced his wealth in favor of a life of poverty, simplicity, and preaching. In this he was similar to a number of other medieval figures, like Saint Francis of Assisi (1181?-1226), who renounced a worldly life and ended up forming small communities dedicated to worship and service. Such persons and their followers often aroused the suspicion of church authorities. Sometimes, like the Franciscans, they were able to reach an accomodation. Waldo's lack of theological training, and his use of a local dialect Bible (instead of Saint Jerome's Vulgate Latin version, recognized by the Church), were soon complained of. The Waldensians sought papal approval from the Third Lateran Council (1179), but the outcome was that Waldo was forbidden to preach and, in 1184, declared a heretic and excommunicated. With time and persecution, the Waldensians departed further from Roman teaching. The rejected the authority of the pope, denied the existence of purgagory and the efficacy of prayers for the dead, criticized the veneration of saints and the adoration of the crucifix, and dispensed with certain of the seven sacraments. They also aroused alarum among secular authorities for refusing to swear oathes in court.
Waldensian communities sprang up in many places in Europe -- Spain, northern France, Flanders, Germany, Poland, southern Italy, Hungary -- but severe persecution (extending to active torture and execution) eventually reduced them to remote niches in the Cottian Alps of Italy and France. The partisans of the 16th-century Reformation recognized them as early defenders of their notion of true religion, and a series of conferences around the middle of the century resulted in their becoming in effect a branch of the Genevan (i.e., Calvinist) Church. This did not, of course, make them any less worthy as a target of Catholic repression. In the middle of the 17th Century, the Duke of Savoy unleashed a campaign to suppress the communities living in the Piedmont region of his domains. Milton himself may have had a hand in drafting the appeals sent by Oliver Cromwell to the Duke of Savoy urging him to end the persecution.
John Milton
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~lyman/engl ... ssacre.htm
John Milton (1608-74)
On the Late Massacre in Piedmont
Avenge, O Lord, thy slaughtered saints, whose bones
Lie scattered on the Alpine mountains cold;
Even them who kept thy truth so pure of old,
When all our fathers worshiped stocks and stones,
Forget not: in thy book record their groans
Who were thy sheep, and in their ancient fold
Slain by the bloody Piedmontese, that rolled
Mother with infant down the rocks. Their moans
The vales redoubled to the hills, and they
To heaven. Their martyred blood and ashes sow
O'er all the Italian fields, where still doth sway
The triple Tyrant; that from these may grow
A hundredfold, who, having learnt thy way,
Early may fly the Babylonian woe.
iskander

Post by iskander »

The council of Verona, 1183, condemned, "first of all the Cathari and Patarenes and those who falsely called themselves Humiliati or Poor Men of Lyons, also the Passagini, Josephini, and Arnoldists, whom we put under perpetual Anathema." The lack of compact organization explains in part the number of these names, some of which were taken from localities or towns and did not indicate any differences of belief or practice from other sectaries. The numbers of the heretics must be largely a matter of conjecture. A panic took hold of the Church authorities, and some of the statements, like those of Innocent III., must be regarded as exaggerations, as are often the rumors about a hostile army in a panic−stricken country, awaiting its arrival. Innocent pronounced the number of heretics in Southern France innumerable. 963 According to the statement of Neumeister, a heretical bishop who was burnt, the number of Waldensian heretics in Austria about 1300 was eighty thousand. 964 The writer, usually designated "the Passau Anonymous," writing about 1315, said there was scarcely a land in which the Waldenses had not spread. The Cathari in Southern France mustered large armies and were massacred by the thousands.

Of all these sects, the only one which has survived is the very honorable body, still known as the Waldenses
HISTORY of the CHRISTIAN CHURCH, VOLUME V.
THE MIDDLE AGES
DAVID S. SCHAFF, D.D.