Everyone will be salted with fire.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stefan Kristensen

Re: Everyone will be salted with fire.

Post by Stefan Kristensen »

What I would object to is that it was put to writing in Greek when it was (or had become) unintelligible in Greek. But it does sound cool. No doubt about it.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Everyone will be salted with fire.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Stefan Kristensen wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 pm What I would object to is that it was put to writing in Greek when it was (or had become) unintelligible in Greek. But it does sound cool. No doubt about it.
Just to be clear, I do not think that "salted with fire" ever made true sense in Greek (any more than it does in English). I think it would have made sense initially in Greek only in a bilingual context. This would basically be a calque: a direct word-for-word translation from one language into another where the target language originally lacked the expression. A modern example would be how the English expression, "to run for" an office (president, governor, what have you), became "correr para" in Spanish, often replacing the more originally Spanish "presentarse para" in Spanish-English bilingual environments.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ