Steven DiMattei: Case Against Mythicists

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Steven DiMattei: Case Against Mythicists

Post by maryhelena »

maryhelena: If one asserts a historical Jesus, a Jesus that somehow or another relates in someway to the gospel Jesus,
srd44” These are 2 different claims. Asserting a Jew named Joshua existed in the 1c. century and asserting that this Jew relates to how he was conceptualized by writers living decades later are different questions.
maryhelena: Goodness gracious me.....the subject under consideration is the gospel story of a Jesus figure. Any other figure that you desire to dream up and assume historicity for - who cares? The figure under discussion is a figure that NT scholars claim to be, somehow or another, of relevance to that gospel Jesus story. So, cut to the chase and keep focus here. If all you want to do is assume historicity for some arbitrary figure - carry on. That exercise has no relevance to any debate over the gospel JC or early christian origins.

maryhelena: Debates over the historicity or non-historicity of some variant of the gospel Jesus is child's play. One makes ones decision either way. I am interested in where either decision can take one. I don't see any future for the historicist Jesus position - it is what it is. It is going nowhere. It's a dead-end as far as research into early christian origins is concerned. In contrast, the ahistoricist/mythicist perspective is open-ended - it asks new questions about christian origins. It seeks the historical realities behind that gospel story. It seeks to comprehend what it was in history that led the gospel writers to construct their gospel Jesus story.
srd44: Could not disagree more. When the mythicist can mount evidence for the non-exitence of all peoples of antiquity never mentioned by contemporary historians---since as you claim the burden of proof fails on these so-called historicists to prove their existence (a child's game indeed), then I will be persuaded. But as you yourself have admitted, there is no evidence, criteria, etc. by which means on can do this. And thus the mythicists claims, not to mention their methodology which we have not discussed at all, are moot.
maryhelena: The burden of proof rests with those who claim that there was in history a Jesus; a Jesus who has relevance for the gospel Jesus story. The ahistoricists/mythicists find this claim wanting. Now you can do a song and dance about many of the reasons that ahistoricists/mythicist might offer in support of this conclusion they have reached. You might well be able to fault many of them. But what you can't do is establish historicity for your Jesus figure. On that basis alone, a scholar should be able to keep an open mind on this subject rather than seek to discredit opposing views to his claim. After all, knocking down stuff is normally child's play - it takes creativity to produce and offer something of value - you know - thinking the unthinkable.... ;)
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Blood

Post by Blood »

To summarize Steven's position:

- The Gospels are a radical departure from "history" writing

- The Jesus of the gospels is an invention

- The Jesus in the minds of every Christian is a theological symbol, invention!

- There doesn't have to have been any historical Jesus for Christianity to exist, since Christianity is built on an invented religious symbol, Jesus Christ

- The Jesus of Christian faith never existed historically

And yet positing that perhaps there never was such a figure to begin with is absolutely impossible and cannot be taken seriously by anyone.

I'm sorry. That is simply cognitive dissonance. There is no other word for it. You've given five excellent reasons to believe that Jesus is a myth, and then in the same breath you say that it's impossible that Jesus is a myth. It's your methodological assumptions that need examination, not mythicists.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing how DiMattei differs from the mythicist position. He basically grants all the key arguments and then insists mythicism is absurd. It's rather frustrating to have a discussion with someone whose conclusions don't follow from his arguments.
Chris Weimer

Post by Chris Weimer »

DiMattei is drawing an important distinction here. Just because someone's image was radically changed after their death doesn't mean that they didn't exist.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Tenorikuma wrote:Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing how DiMattei differs from the mythicist position. He basically grants all the key arguments and then insists mythicism is absurd. It's rather frustrating to have a discussion with someone whose conclusions don't follow from his arguments.
Yep - perhaps the man is almost there........However, the step that some mythicists seem to be taking - that it was all in the mind of 'Paul' - is a step too far. A rather big step to far. The step that there was nothing 'there'; nothing there outside that gospel story; nothing there in history. That is a fault line of some mythicist theories. To expect the JC historicists to discard their historical Jesus, of whatever variant, and to accept 'Paul's' mind game is to expect too much. Sure, there was no historical Jesus figure that relates in someway, is relevant to, the gospel figure of Jesus - but that does not mean that the mythicists can discard a historical component as irrelevant to the gospel story.
W.B. Yeats
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Chris Weimer wrote:DiMattei is drawing an important distinction here. Just because someone's image was radically changed after their death doesn't mean that they didn't exist.
Sure - but historicity requires evidence. If the Jesus historicists would only rest their case on Jesus having existed and drop their claim for historicity - they could continue to live in their faith bubble. Claiming historicity for their Jesus is fast becoming their Achilles heel....
W.B. Yeats
stevencarrwork

Post by stevencarrwork »

Chris Weimer wrote:DiMattei is drawing an important distinction here. Just because someone's image was radically changed after their death doesn't mean that they didn't exist.
Would that conclusion change if the Jesus of the Gospels had been depicted as eating a lot of spinach before his miracles?
Blood

Post by Blood »

I am unable to understand why it was absolutely impossible for the "invented religious symbol" to have inspired the prophetic biography, rather than the other way around. Particularly when the prophetic biography is based entirely on Bible verses.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Blood wrote:
I am unable to understand why it was absolutely impossible for the "invented religious symbol" to have inspired the prophetic biography, rather than the other way around. Particularly when the prophetic biography is based entirely on Bible verses.
A very simple answer to that! Prophecy, prophetic interpretation, prophetic biography, has to relate to what can be observed. It makes no sense whatsoever to claim that such and such a prophetic interpretation applies to an "invented religious symbol". This all in the mind - supposedly the mind of 'Paul' - is fast becoming the Achilles heel of some mythicists....

Of course, one can debate the validity, or otherwise, of any prophetic interpretation or application to specific historical realities - what one can't do is shift the prophetic application to someone's imagination...However arbitrary the prophetic interpretations they have to have 'feet' - they have to relate to what is known not what is imagined.
W.B. Yeats
Chris Weimer

Post by Chris Weimer »

stevencarrwork wrote:
Would that conclusion change if the Jesus of the Gospels had been depicted as eating a lot of spinach before his miracles?
Would George Washington stop existing if it was shown that he did not, in fact, admit to cutting down his father's cherry tree?