New Mythicist Author writes to J. P Meier

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: New Mythicist Author writes to J. P Meier

Post by MrMacSon »

Jax wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:45 pm
Actually gentelmen, what I would really like to see are simply some arguments that attempt to justify why scholars think that Paul is writing in the first century, without resorting to Acts.

As a base line.
This doesn't address dating per se, but it shows a synopsis of some who have questioned the veracity of the so-called undisputed epistles >>
... even the least disputed of letters, such as Galatians, have found critics.[17] Moreover, the unity of the letters is questioned by some scholars. First and Second Corinthians have garnered particular suspicion, with some scholars, among them Edgar J. Goodspeed and Norman Perrin, supposing one or both texts as we have them today are actually amalgamations of multiple individual letters.

There remains considerable discussion as to the presence of possible significant interpolations.

However, such textual corruption is difficult to detect and even more so to verify, leaving little agreement as to the extent of the epistles' integrity. See also Radical Criticism, which maintains that the external evidence for attributing any of the letters to Paul is so weak, that it should be considered that all the letters appearing in the Marcion canon were written in Paul's name by members of the Marcionite Church and were afterwards edited and adopted by the Catholic [initial] church, [the Orthodox Church].
  • Romans
  • First Corinthians
  • Second Corinthians
  • Galatians
  • Philippians
  • First Thessalonians
  • Philemon
These seven letters are quoted or mentioned by the earliest of sources, and are included in every ancient canon, including that of Marcion (c.140).[18] There is no record of scholarly doubt concerning authorship until the 19th century when, around 1840, German scholar Ferdinand Christian Baur accepted only four of the letters bearing Paul's name as genuine, which he called the Hauptebriefe (Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, and Galatians). Hilgenfeld (1875) and H. J. Holtzmann (1885) instead accepted the seven letters listed above, adding Philemon, 1 Thessalonians, and Philippians. Few scholars have argued against this list of seven epistles, which all share common themes, emphasis, vocabulary and style. They also exhibit a uniformity of doctrine concerning the Mosaic Law, Christ, and faith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorshi ... d_epistles
Jax

Post by Jax »

hakeem wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:55 pm The claim that the great majority of NT Scholars accept seven as authentic is of no value as historical evidence especially when most NT Scholars are Christians and many worship Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Christians want to go to heaven so cannot deny their Jesus.
I disagree. While some Biblical scholars are unduly influenced by a fundamental Christian outlook, many are just trying to do honest historical research into their religion.

You really do Christians as a whole a disservice when you attempt to treat them all the same.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:20 pm I would like to add, concerning a date in century II for the Pauline epistles (forged one and all), that I find it rather difficult to imagine a forger who thought of Paul as having flourished before AD 70 writing like this:
the same problem appears to date Mark, given Mark 9:1 :
Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power."
According to Price, the next verse (9:2) realizes the prophecy ("6 days after..."). But according to the consensus (plus Carrier) the prophecy of 9:1 is falsified by the Real History.
Yes, Mark 9.1 and its parallels are a bit tricky. On the one hand, sure, the Transfiguration may be positioned where it is so as to blunt the force of the prediction. On the other hand, however, the prediction seems to line up with Mark 13.30 and its parallels, which are not blunted in Mark or in Matthew, at least.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

hakeem wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:55 pm The claim that the great majority of NT Scholars accept seven as authentic is of no value as historical evidence especially when most NT Scholars are Christians and many worship Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Jax wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:22 am I disagree. While some Biblical scholars are unduly influenced by a fundamental Christian outlook, many are just trying to do honest historical research into their religion.

You really do Christians as a whole a disservice when you attempt to treat them all the same.
Your statement makes no sense at all.

It is a fact that people who call themselves Christians want to go to heaven and worship Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
Christians are the ones who did a disservice to the whole world with their invention called Jesus Christ born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin, the Lord from heaven, God Creator, the Logos, the firstborn of the dead and God's own son who was raised from the dead and ascended to heaven in a cloud.

Christians not only invented their Jesus Christ but also manufactured fake authors for their Jesus fiction stories.

Up to this day, no one knows when or who wrote any book in the Christian New Testament and cannot provide any corroborative historical evidence for the existence of authors called Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, James, Jude, Peter and Paul.

Aristides in his Apology admitted that it was people called Christians who propagated the falsehood that God came down from heaven--born of a woman and that the Jews killed the son of their own God.

The Apology
The Christians, then, trace the beginning of their religion from Jesus the Messiah; and he is named the Son of God Most High. And it is said that God came down from heaven, and from a Hebrew virgin assumed and clothed himself with flesh; and the Son of God lived in a daughter of man.

This is taught in the gospel, as it is called, which a short time ago was preached among them; and you also if you will read therein, may perceive the power which belongs to it. This Jesus, then, was born of the race of the Hebrews; and he had twelve disciples in order that the purpose of his incarnation might in time be accomplished.

But he himself was pierced by the Jews, and he died and was buried; and they say that after three days he rose and ascended to heaven. Thereupon these twelve disciples went forth throughout the known parts of the world, and kept showing his greatness with all modesty and uprightness.

And hence also those of the present day who believe that preaching are called Christians, and they have become famous.
Jesus Christ was always a product of fiction and falsehood post 70 CE --propaganda to explain the reason for the fall of the Jewish Temple.
Jax

Post by Jax »

hakeem wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:27 am

Jax wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:22 am I disagree. While some Biblical scholars are unduly influenced by a fundamental Christian outlook, many are just trying to do honest historical research into their religion.

Your statement makes no sense at all.

It is a fact that people who call themselves Christians want to go to heaven and worship Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
Christians are the ones who did a disservice to the whole world with their invention called Jesus Christ born of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin, the Lord from heaven, God Creator, the Logos, the firstborn of the dead and God's own son who was raised from the dead and ascended to heaven in a cloud.

Christians not only invented their Jesus Christ but also manufactured fake authors for their Jesus fiction stories.

Up to this day, no one knows when or who wrote any book in the Christian New Testament and cannot provide any corroborative historical evidence for the existence of authors called Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, James, Jude, Peter and Paul.

Aristides in his Apology admitted that it was people called Christians who propagated the falsehood that God came down from heaven--born of a woman and that the Jews killed the son of their own God.

The Apology
The Christians, then, trace the beginning of their religion from Jesus the Messiah; and he is named the Son of God Most High. And it is said that God came down from heaven, and from a Hebrew virgin assumed and clothed himself with flesh; and the Son of God lived in a daughter of man.

This is taught in the gospel, as it is called, which a short time ago was preached among them; and you also if you will read therein, may perceive the power which belongs to it. This Jesus, then, was born of the race of the Hebrews; and he had twelve disciples in order that the purpose of his incarnation might in time be accomplished.

But he himself was pierced by the Jews, and he died and was buried; and they say that after three days he rose and ascended to heaven. Thereupon these twelve disciples went forth throughout the known parts of the world, and kept showing his greatness with all modesty and uprightness.

And hence also those of the present day who believe that preaching are called Christians, and they have become famous.
Jesus Christ was always a product of fiction and falsehood post 70 CE --propaganda to explain the reason for the fall of the Jewish Temple.
I stand by my statement. Painting all people in a religion with the same brush is simplistic and disrespectful of the people that have, and continue to, work hard at attempting to reconstruct the possible origins of early Christianity.

I am working my way through the archives and in them I come across you constantly making the same generalized statements concerning this subject. Over and over you make the same baseless claims that do little more than belittle Christians and others that are trying to research this subject. Actually, when I come across a thread with you, sheeshbar, and DuvDuv, I simply give up on it as nothing more than a Christian bashing circlejerk with nothing substantive in the way of usable information.

Your attempts to discredit every aspect of Christianity is IMO no different than a Fundi Christian trying to justify every aspect of their religion. Both are extremes that offer nothing worthwhile to the general conversation and only serve to confuse the issues.

What is the basis for your disdain for everything Christian BTW? Are you an ex Fundi Christian? A Fundi Muslim? Fundi Other?
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

Jax wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:08 am........Your attempts to discredit every aspect of Christianity is IMO no different than a Fundi Christian trying to justify every aspect of their religion. Both are extremes that offer nothing worthwhile to the general conversation and only serve to confuse the issues.

What is the basis for your disdain for everything Christian BTW? Are you an ex Fundi Christian? A Fundi Muslim? Fundi Other?
Again, your post makes no sense. I have made references to the teachings of Christians in their own Bible and manuscripts.

People called Christians worship Jesus as their Lord and Savior and want to go to heaven.

1 Thessalonians 4 16
 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Philippians 3:20
For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ..
Please get familiar with the teachings of the Christians.

In any event, Jesus Christ is an invention as is clearly seen in their own writings.

Ignatius Ephesians
For our God, Jesus Christ, was, according to the appointment of God, conceived in the womb by Mary, of the seed of David, but by the Holy Ghost
Jax

Post by Jax »

^ As robertj said "life's to short"

By now.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Jax wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 pm Just for clarity this is the type of information that I seek.
The great majority of NT scholars accepts (more or less) the seven as authentitc. They range from mainstream theologians like Edward Schillebeeckx and Raymond E.Brown, to the liberal authors like Dominic Crossan and Burton Mack. Generally, the more liberal the writer, the greater the propensity to consider Collossians and Ephesians completely forged, and Phillipians to a degree. The mythicist G.A.Wells, following the radical German scholarship of the Tuebingen school, considered only the four "main letters" (die Hauptbriefe) - Romans, 1&2 Corinthians, and Galatians as authentic material.

As for methodology, the authenticity is established by complex textual analysis, which examines the consistency of language used by the letters (i.e. frequency of words, stylistic preferences, and even scaling patterns). The content of the letters is also examined in what is known of the church organization in Paul's time CE40's-60's vis-a-vis the later church. E.g. the 'monarchic episocopate' alluded in the so-called pastorals (the Timothys and Titus) is generally deemed much later than Paul's time, or at any rate not fitting with Paul's other letters and the Acts. That is why they are almost umniversally set aside as Pauline pseudepigrapha.
There are theological considerations. 2 Thessalonians and Collossians have markedly different eschatological expectations than the authentic Paul (especially 1 Thess) .
Other analytical tools may be added: e.g. habits of thought, cognitive struction, attitudes. I hope to provide a convincing psychological portrait of Paul and show that because of his condition, he truly felt he was "overwhelmed" by the Christ in his body. He dissociates his ego from the "glory" that visits in an internally consistent manner, which controls the expression of Paul's dominance ploys. From the point of view of psychological authenticity, e.g. one sees a pronounced dissociative "personna" which is omnipresentin the genuine writings: see eg Gal 5:10 (I have confidence in the Lord that you take no other view than mine, and he who is troubling you will bear his judgment). Paul is small, weak, incompetent (depressed); the Lord (who takes over the manic Paul) is almighty. Note the absence of this ego-restraining schema in a similar venting of 1 Ti 20 ....Hymenaeus and Alexander; ...I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. It is of course possible that Paul forgot in the Timothy letter that not he but the Lord was the final judge of souls, but the probability of that would be very low, IMHO.
From http://frdb.talkfreethought.org/thearch ... tcount=195
I think your link to frdb is out of date.

There is lots available online and in print regarding which letters may be authentic or not, and how they relate to Acts.

If one treats "occasional" letters as more reliable than a kind of a history book like Acts purports to be, then the details in the letters are to be preferred over details in Acts (where they are different, that is). Chances are then that Acts would be later, but may or may not be based on things written in the letters. If Acts is based on details in the letters, why are some details so different or even contradictory?

Of course, if Acts was written first (say, as a resume of Christian traditions about Paul) then the letters could have been based on Acts (again, asking ourselves why the details are different).

A third option might be that the letters (if not genuine) AND Acts are BOTH based on a common independent source or sources.

Now what I meant earlier about "circular reasoning" in identification of letters as "authentic" and "inauthentic" is that this must be based on some criteria. Should it be theology? If so, then you have already decided what theology was authentic to a Paul, which is somewhat arbitrary. The theology is already choppy like iceberg lettuce in a salad. Same goes for "style." The tail wags the dog.

This is the reason why I try to trace ideas and themes. One can be reading about some theme in a letter, then there are these lengthy digressions that intervene. The theme may pick up again later, but maybe not. I can make continuous sense of the themes about having faith like Abraham's to inherit the promised land on equal footing with natural born Judeans, but this is much harder to do with the Christology. This is why I had come to the conclusion that the faith of Abram talk was more original, and the Christology was more like "commentary."

The role that Marcion played in the formation or preservation of the Pauline cannon is another wrench that has been thrown into the works. No one knows for sure what Marcion's "NT" looked like because no one has ever found a codex or roll with it, or even a large fragment like a book or two. While early Christian authors like Tertullian talked like Marcion's "version" *must* have had this or that in it, but it seems to me that these things had to be in his "version" in order to make it a better straw-man to knock down. I do not think that his proto-orthodox critics really had anything more than his commentary, the Antitheses. IMHO, Marcion had simply made a case that the sacred writings revered by the proto-orthodox Church, which contained doctrines about the Good God from the mouths of Jesus and his true apostle Paul, had been contaminated by doctrine related to the creator God's covenants with Judeans (ritual law and circumcision). In his mind these two things were like oil and water: they just do not mix.

What in the letters of Paul, or the "gospel" (the good news about the unknown God of goodness and love), did he think was part of Jesus' preaching? I think it was something to do with the high Christology stated on the letters and implied in the Gospel (of Luke). However, like many modern critics, he also thought that this high Christology was the very basis of what the Gospel and the letters of Paul had to say, before having been contaminated by Judaic ideas. Unfortunately, this is not what we find (a consistent and relatively unified Christology interrupted by Judaic interpolations).

As I noted above, in my opinion the exact opposite situations occurs at least in the Pauline letters: The theme that gentiles can love the Judean God and inherit the promised land along with Abraham's physical descencedents, sort of like "spiritual" half-siblings or foster-siblings, is most complete and systematic, with the Christology being the interrupting interpolations.

What I think Marcion encountered were, with regard to the letters of Paul, what I consider the original letters about a form of pious Judeo-Hellenic "we can be brothers, really!" type teaching that had been interpolated to introduce the divine redeemer mystery that gentile Christians had developed. The latter Christological theology was decidedly anti-Judaic, with this overlay most clearly seen in the story of Abram, Sarah his wife, their son Isaac & Abe's concubine and her son Esau. In the original, they are contrasted so Esau is a son born without sure hope of fulfillment of this promise, while Isaac is born out of faith that God would fulfill by granting a child by his own wife. The interpolator took this, stood it on its head, and declared that Abraham's physical children are typified by Esau and the spiritual sons were typified by Isaac, which is not anywhere near the same thing.

What you may have to do is just read up on these options and see what makes the most sense to you.

DCH
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

For what it may be worth, I am partial to the hypothesis that Acts knew the epistles (both Catholic and Pauline) and worked their individual authorial voices into its apostolic speeches: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2037.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Bolding mine,
If one treats "occasional" letters as more reliable than a kind of a history book like Acts purports to be, then the details in the letters are to be preferred over details in Acts (where they are different, that is). Chances are then that Acts would be later, but may or may not be based on things written in the letters. If Acts is based on details in the letters, why are some details so different or even contradictory?

Of course, if Acts was written first (say, as a resume of Christian traditions about Paul) then the letters could have been based on Acts (again, asking ourselves why the details are different).
third option might be that the letters (if not genuine) AND Acts are BOTH based on a common independent source or sources.
The fourth option is that the author of 'Acts' did not know about the main Pauline epistles.
If so, that would imply 'Acts' was written in the 1st century, because, if written later, it would be difficult for the Pauline epistles not to be known.
And 'Acts' could not have been written in the 2nd century because, at that time, almost every "Fathers" (Aristides, Justin, Irenaeus, Origen plus the interpolated ending of gMark and the ending of gMatthew) have the Christian faith propagated at first by Jesus' disciples all over the known world (which is the ideal and preferred way for initial propagation ;) ) when Acts has a very different picture altogether, where the disciples stay in Palestine and the new faith is preached by Greek speaking foreigners in the world.
What would be the sources of 'Acts": I think the author heard about the companions of Paul, but, these ones being dead, allows the author of 'Acts' to insert a lot of fiction, embellishments, changes and out-of-sequence passages.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed