Clement and Jude Authorship

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GrahamtheMusicMan

Clement and Jude Authorship

Post by GrahamtheMusicMan »

I have read in several places that the authorship of Jude was agreed by Clement of Rome. Having searched meticulously for any mention of Jude, I can find none (except a couple of insignificant quotations of Jude). Could it be that the sources I have read are unreliable, and have confused Clement of Rome (AD 96) with Clement of Alexandria (AD 200)?
In any case, could someone please point me to which Clement approved the Epistle of Jude as canonical, and give me the actual quote (Chapter and Verse).
Very grateful!
Graham
Tenorikuma

Re: Clement and Jude Authorship

Post by Tenorikuma »

Clement of Alexandria (not Clement of Rome) allegedly wrote a commentary on Jude, and in the prologue confirmed that it was written by Jude the brother of Jesus. However, our only source for this is an excerpt translated into Latin by Cassiodorus, a sixth-century Roman writer, who himself admits that he revised Clement's work "to render its teaching more safe". Personally, I think the entire quote is spurious.

At any rate, your sources are confused.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Apart from the material in Cassiodorus Clement of Alexandria clearly knew Jude Stromateis book 3
I fancy Jude was speaking prophetically of these and similar sects in his letter when he wrote: "So too with these people caught up in their dreams" who do not set upon the truth with their eyes fully open, down to "pompous phrases pour from their mouth."
Andrew Criddle
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Part of the trouble Jude had was the fact that it quoted books that came to be excluded from the OT canon. This motivated some to question its own canonicity, which was tantamount to questioning its authorship.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown