Lukuas-Andreas in Medieval Islamic Literature.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Lukuas-Andreas in Medieval Islamic Literature.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

I had posted this in the appropriate subthread that focuses on Islamic history and texts, but just to secure a wider range of viewing, I'm reposting it here...

Would anyone know if the figure known as Lukuas-Andreas is mentioned in either the work of Abu'l-Faraj Muhammad bin Is'hāq al-Nadim, or Abu al-Faraj al-Isfahani? And if neither of these, what work is Munter referring to in his The Jewish War, pg. 18?
andrewcriddle

Re: Lukuas-Andreas in Medieval Islamic Literature.

Post by andrewcriddle »

I'm almost sure that Abulfaraj, in Münter is Bar Hebraeus the passage may be http://www.syriacstudies.com/AFSS/Syria ... Budge.html
And in the tenth year of TRAJAN, GALEN the physician was born, and at the end of his reign the JEWS who were in CYPRUS uprooted the city of SALOMONI (SALAMINA), and slew the GREEKS (YAWNAYE) who were therein. And the JEWS also who were in LYDIA stirred up to revolt the GREEKS who were therein, and thus also did the JEWS who were in CYRENAICA, and in THEBES (THEBAID?), and in ALEXANDRIA and in BETH NAHRIN (MESOPOTAMIA). And the JEWS who were in EGYPT rebelled, and set up for themselves a king whose name was LUMPIS, and he governed them and came to JUDEA. Now the JEWS conquered in every place.
Andrew Criddle
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

andrewcriddle wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:45 am I'm almost sure that Abulfaraj, in Münter is Bar Hebraeus the passage may be http://www.syriacstudies.com/AFSS/Syria ... Budge.html
And in the tenth year of TRAJAN, GALEN the physician was born, and at the end of his reign the JEWS who were in CYPRUS uprooted the city of SALOMONI (SALAMINA), and slew the GREEKS (YAWNAYE) who were therein. And the JEWS also who were in LYDIA stirred up to revolt the GREEKS who were therein, and thus also did the JEWS who were in CYRENAICA, and in THEBES (THEBAID?), and in ALEXANDRIA and in BETH NAHRIN (MESOPOTAMIA). And the JEWS who were in EGYPT rebelled, and set up for themselves a king whose name was LUMPIS, and he governed them and came to JUDEA. Now the JEWS conquered in every place.
Andrew Criddle
Many thanks!
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Something I do find curious is his statement about Lumpis (Lukuas) ruling in Egypt. Reading over Eusebius and Cassius Dio, I get the sense that as soon as he arrived in Alexandria he was almost immediately defeated. But if he had ruled for sometime as a king for Jews, then things makes what is written in the Acta Paulis et Antonini, which dates a few years before the revolt started proper, and mentions a Greek named Anthimos as sparking riots, rather conspicuous. Unless he is mistakenly calling Cyrene Egypt of course.