An anomaly in 1 Thess 2:14-16

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

An anomaly in 1 Thess 2:14-16

Post by Giuseppe »

1 Thessalonians 2:14-16

14 For you, brothers and sisters, became imitators of God’s churches in Judea, which are in Christ Jesus: You suffered from your own people the same things those churches suffered from the Jews 15 who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and also drove us out. They displease God and are hostile to everyone 16 in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last
Isn't more expected that the interpolator had to write:
...who killed the prophets and the Lord Jesus
?

The Lord Jesus was killed after the prophets, not before.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: An anomaly in 1 Thess 2:14-16

Post by Giuseppe »

This raises the question: was Jesus killed before the same prophets?

The Suffering Servant in Isaiah is a figure considered already lived by the prophet who talks about him.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

Guiseppe:

1. Isaiah 53 is written in the Hebrew past tense which is the same as the Hebrew future tense.

2. "who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets " is listed in order of importance.

3. For the unrelated nonChristian theory of a primordial sacrifice, you may want to learn about the Hindu concept of the First Man, the Primal Person, Purusha, the Cosmic Man:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purusha

Some Hindu (or ex-Hindu) Christians see the legend as a foretelling of Christianity, but it seems to me like two separate stories.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

1. I don't think the same Jews would agree.

2. Correct.

3. The primordial crucifixion is found in Revelation, also.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3419
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

1. jewish tradition has two views on Isaiah 53. Rambam said it was about the Messiah, Rashi said it was about Israel, the Targums apply it to both the Messiah and Israel.

3. Purusha, the cosmic man, was not crucified, but rather cut into pieces, the pieces then forming the cosmos.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

"
Purusha, the cosmic man, was not crucified, but rather cut into pieces, the pieces then forming the cosmos.
I've read it mentioned in Vedic studies that Purusha's death was associated with the yoopa, a type of sacrificial alter that formed part of a tree or column, also connected to the Stambha of Indra.