Kartagraphy Markoff. Did "Mark" Get Any Geography Right?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ghost

Re: Kartagraphy Markoff. Did "Mark" Get Any Geography Right?

Post by ghost »

steve43

Post by steve43 »

Well, sure, the KING'S tunnel. Of course.
ghost

Post by ghost »

How do you say "in Rome" in Ancient Greek?
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

steve43 wrote:Well, sure, the KING'S tunnel. Of course.
Steve43-

Let me offer a few words in a peaceful demeanor. In re-reading one of my earlier Posts it may have come across as "If you don't read and understand Heisenberg in German and Feynman in Caltech, you can't understand any of this". Not what I intend. I do believe that Mishmarot and the Hasmoneans provide a key to what became Mark but I do want to know - "on your ground" - what you see.

1. You state that Herod died in 3 BCE. I believe the correct date is 4 BCE. Further, I've made the stronger statement that there was a single Mishmarot Group that provided Temple Service for both 4 BCE and 9 CE. If you are correct then this Group would have been required to have been on Duty in 10 CE, a difference of 12 years (No Year Zero!). If you are correct here that's OK. It might make a difference as to which Group is on Duty in 3 BCE and 10 CE and THAT would make a difference to me. Somehow the calculation is gonna have to verify one way or the other which group was on Duty for at least the 3 or 4 BCE Passover. It's do-able. What do you base your statement concerning Herod on?

2. http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/1614-antonia "The remains of the underground passage (cut in the rock) are found still to the north of the present "Dome of the Rock" in the Temple enclosure, leading northward in the direction of the east end of the scarp, toward the position of the southeast corner tower...and here was a narrow underground passage in which Aristobulus was killed..."

However,there is this: "This may be represented by the rock-cut passage leading from the ditch northwest of Antonia, which now ends at the Ḥaram Wall built by Herod, and probably once communicated by steps with the interior of the Antonia courtyard, south of the great scarp above described..."

Now, this is important to what I see and you may be on to something. I conflate the 2 Passages of "The Narrow Door" and "You Must Turn as a Child". These are from the same Story. If you can imagine that "The Realm of Heaven" is a Real Place then The Temple Slaughter is told by Josephus as an external event but the Internal Story is told in the NT, starting with Mark. The Narrow Door is so small that you must turn as a child in order to get into the "Realm of Heaven". If there is nothing but the tunnel cut deep into the rock then there is probably little meaning in children squeezing into a narrow crack of a door to get into a deep tunnel. If, however, there are places near Antonia close to the surface, then it works.

Long ago, I had a choice to make in constructing this Scenario. "Where do the Priests stay when they rotate in for their Service?" One choice is the Old Hasmonean Palace, the other is Antonia. With the Tunnel, it seems to be Antonia although I'm open to suggestions.

3. "Did Mark get any Geography right?" That's the Thread Name and I haven't highjacked it. Mark got just about everything correct because the level of the Symbolism is appropriate. The entire Story is Temple Centered and we haven't even gotten to "Bezetha" => "Bethsaida" yet. The farthest Mark gets away from the Temple is probably "Upper Galilee" and he got that one correct as well. Can you guess what Mishmarot Group lived in a settlement in Upper Galilee and thought that the "Hasmonean Dynasty" descended from them?

I truly invite you to begin looking at this alternative. Mark and the other Gospels are re-writing something. I used to state, "It's there! It really is there!" I still do.

CW
steve43

Post by steve43 »

Nonsense.
Herod died in 4 B.C. and all hell broke loose in 3B.C. at the Passover.
And sure, Herod made a tunnel for himself from the inner temple to Antonia, but it went under the outer courtyard. Everyone else would simply take the steps up from the Temple courtyard to the tower of Antonia.

The priests probably stayed in special apartments in the Sanctuary building itself when they were on duty, in the inner temple. The Asamonean palace was across the the main road from the west temple wall at its soouthern end. Further to the east and south, the major priestly families had their extensive homes.

source Josephus, from Hagan's "Year of the Passover"

but don't involve me too deeply in this...
spin

Post by spin »

steve43 wrote:source Josephus, from Hagan's "Year of the Passover"
When citing things, please be precise. For an ancient source, (book,) chapter and section. For modern you need a page number (and a full bibliographic note in your first reference to the book). Less isn't good enough.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
ghost

Post by ghost »

In Mark 8:10 Dalmanutha is Alexandria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria
ghost

Post by ghost »

In Mark 8:11 the Pharisees are the Alexandrians.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

section Mark 7:32 – 11:1

1. localization of Dalmanutha and Caesarea Philippi depending on Bethsaida

2. At last the reader can´t understand that the sea of Galilee is an inland water. One side of the sea remains open.

3. It was plausible for the reader that Judea and Jerusalem are neighboring countries of Galilee. In Mark 10:1 he learns that the route to Jerusalem led over the region „beyond the Jordan“. So he must make some rearrangements.

4. localization of Jericho, Bethphage and Bethany without problems

possible imagination after Mark 11:1