New mythicist book: «Jesus of the books»

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

New mythicist book: «Jesus of the books»

Post by Giuseppe »

http://www.vividpublishing.com.au/jesusofthebooks/

I like and share this particular certainty of the author:
I believe absence of (any) evidence is (good) evidence of absence. We humans act on this principle all the time. The legal profession, medicine and other fields, indeed society as a whole, operate on this principle all the time. It is only theological special pleading and intellectual dishonesty that countenances the opposite.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: New mythicist book: «Jesus of the books»

Post by Giuseppe »

I am sorry that this author placed an authentic Paul after the 70.

For me, it's more probable a falsified Paul after the 70 ("Paul" being the gentile and anti-Jewish Marcion of Sinope) than a genuine Paul after the 70.

But my mythicist bias needs a genuine Paul before the 70 in order to deny completely a historical Jesus.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Secret Alias argues that Marcion was emphatically Jewish. I'm not sure if he argues that he was Paul though.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

lsayre wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm Secret Alias argues that Marcion was emphatically Jewish. I'm not sure if he argues that he was Paul though.
the more sure way to prove that the epistles are forgeries (because otherwise they are what they claim to be) is to prove that their author was a gentile.

If Marcion was a Jew, then you will find always a better candidate than Marcion in authoring the epistles: Paul the apostle.