Galileans, ambiguous oracles, Christians, and the generational prophecy.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Re: Galileans, ambiguous oracles, Christians, and the generational prophecy.

Post by Charles Wilson »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:00 am Partial evidence for this thesis (see my post above) is that Peter is called 'Galilean' by the servant girl of the high priest as punition of the his ''low Christology''...
The important thing to note here is that Peter *IS* from Galilee. He is from the Mishmarot Group Immer and he lived in Jabnit, just down the road from Meiron. The servant girl is making an observation ( A VERY important one) that Peter's ACCENT betrays him. The Christology is derivative. The observation is a very real one (within the confines of a Literary moment...), perhaps pointing to a Source.

No big disagreement here, however. You may be onto something.
For example, here in Italy when a politician is despised, he is called to be ''too much provincial''.
Ditto here in the States. Every now and then a politician such as George Wallace rises up to represent the "Little People" ("Thay ain't a dimes worth of difference between them briefcase totin' bureaucrats...").

CW
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Ben,

Yet nobody actually gives any examples of calculations that would put the final eschatological era in the times of Pilate or any Roman for that matter. I am quite sure that Josephus came up with the idea that the end of the ages was in Vespasian's day, but I am dubious that Jews were making a big deal about that era. In fact, the rebel movements that seemed to have flourished do not seem to be messianic in focus, but more concerned to (re)establish a fully independent Judean state.

The rebels were not so much concerned with what the Romans thought, although there were certainly Hellenized Judeans of the Diaspora who were writing Sibylline verses propounding how stability and justice would come to the inhabited world not by Roman leaders but by a Judean or Judeans. There were certainly peoples governed by the Romans who would have welcomed a change in rulership.

But did he actually argue to John of Gischala that the predicted world rulers were going to be Vespasian & Titus, as he claims? He conveniently speaks in Hebrew, so few if any among the Roman hearers will be transcribing it, even if some of the soldiers knew Aramaic. They even now need translators so the unified Korean ice skating team can communicate together, as modern Korean as spoken in South Korea is no longer the same as the older form still spoken in N. Korea. So I think this was what he came up with. He may be correct that John of Gischala did not put a lot of credence in interpretations that put the final age in his own time. Another indication that John was NOT an apocalyptist. Josephus hints that he actually proposed some passages from scripture speaking of the rewards of just conduct and the pitfalls of bad motivations, not specific 'seasons."

There is a site where a gentleman posted what he felt was a complete list of passages in Josephus and early Church fathers that spoke about "Christ" and the 70 weeks of Daniel.
https://www.christianforums.com/threads ... s.7861752/

He does not post the text of a very long chapter in Demonstratio Evangelica book 8 chapter 2 (the translation, by W W Ferrar, in 2 volumes, is available at archive.org). However, it shows how far Christian writers were willing to go to make the 70 weeks predict, not Vespasian and Titus, but Jesus Christ.
Eusebius says: "(390) It was then that King Artaxerxes gave the order for it to be built. And Nehemiah was sent to take charge of the work, and the street and wall were built, as it had been prophesied. And from that date to the coming of Christ is seventy weeks. For if we begin to count from any other point but this, not only the dates will not agree, but many absurdities arise."

When you want something bad enough, you make the facts fit the preconceived notion. No wonder John thought that predictions of exact times & seasons, if that was really what Josephus offered him, was akin to "jugglery."

By way of challenge, can we find any distinctly Judean or Jewish interpretations clearly stated? The closest I can think of is the Apocalypse of Weeks in the book of 1 Enoch, but I do not think they had anything to do with Daniel, although history was spread out in ten "weeks" (later edited into seven weeks) that took things to Maccabean time, IIRC.

"Astronauts have returned from the moon carrying moon-rocks. Analysis shows them to be if igneous origin." Hence, this *proves* that the moon is made of Green Cheese (not Blue or cream Cheese, but Green). Elsewise, why would the cow have jumped over it? Of course this makes no sense, but it is just an illustration how Romans and Christians could spend far more time laboring over such things than did Judeans, and came up with the answers that suited them.

DCH (off sick today, <barf> :oops: , must be them hamburgers - oh wait, that is another thread ...)
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

DCHindley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pmYet nobody actually gives any examples of calculations that would put the final eschatological era in the times of Pilate or any Roman for that matter. I am quite sure that Josephus came up with the idea that the end of the ages was in Vespasian's day, but I am dubious that Jews were making a big deal about that era. In fact, the rebel movements that seemed to have flourished do not seem to be messianic in focus, but more concerned to (re)establish a fully independent Judean state.
Given that the purpose of a messiah was at least to reestablish a fully independent Judean state, I fail to see how the two are in conflict. I have already announced my predilection toward thinking that the war was engaged for more mundane purposes, but there is nothing standing in the way of messianic interpretations, or indeed calculations, being superimposed upon it by some groups, is there?
Eusebius says: "(390) It was then that King Artaxerxes gave the order for it to be built. And Nehemiah was sent to take charge of the work, and the street and wall were built, as it had been prophesied. And from that date to the coming of Christ is seventy weeks. For if we begin to count from any other point but this, not only the dates will not agree, but many absurdities arise."

When you want something bad enough, you make the facts fit the preconceived notion.
Very much agreed. Thus, if (some of) the rebels wanted the Danielic 70 weeks to apply to the time of the war, making the calculations come out right would not be that difficult. It would simply involve a bit of what you call "jugglery."
By way of challenge, can we find any distinctly Judean or Jewish interpretations clearly stated?
There is much that we should wish to have from this era that is simply missing. I am reading Josephus' words, which is all I have, and am convinced (for the reasons given before) that he was thinking of Daniel when he mentioned the oracle. Why he, a lover of Daniel, should have wished to place an oracle from Daniel on the lips of his ideological adversaries escapes me; therefore I tend to think that he is not making things up. These are arguments that you have not yet addressed. The fact that Josephus' ambiguous oracle and Jesus' generational prophecy both point to the same basic time frame for fulfillment probably means something, as well.

I find in your post no obstacle to any of my arguments, in short. In fact, there is some confirmation insofar as you seem to agree that a preconceived notion can be tweaked into compliance.

But the facts remain: Josephus claims the ambiguous oracle comes from the scriptures; he says that the scriptures consist of 22 books, and he names Daniel among them; he states that the oracle predicted the season; and he admires Daniel for predicting the seasons, unlike the other prophets; and, in another context, Josephus interprets Daniel as predicting Roman success over Judea, which is exactly the spin he gives to the ambiguous oracle. What else could it be but Daniel? And how?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

The book of Daniel was also specifically used by Christian writers as prophecy for the advent of their Jesus Christ,

Justin's Dialogue with Trypho
For He shall come on the clouds as the Son of man,
so Daniel foretold

, and His angels shall come with Him.
Irenaeus Against Heresies --
-On this account also,
Daniel, foreseeing His advent

, said that a stone, cut out without hands, came into this world.
Tertullian Answer to the Jews-----
And so the times of the coming Christ, the Leader, must be inquired into, which
we shall trace in Daniel

; and, after computing them, shall prove Him to be come, even on the ground of the times prescribed, and of competent signs and operations of His.
It is clear that predictions about the coming of the Jewish Messiah predated the Jesus story since the book of Daniel is earlier that all the NT.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:46 pmWhy he, a lover of Daniel, should have wished to place an oracle from Daniel on the lips of his ideological adversaries escapes me; therefore I tend to think that he is not making things up.
His placing the oracle "on the lips of his ideological adversaries" clearly functions as a rhetorical ploy to denounce and condemn them. We see the technique in numerous stories involving oracles and contests between good and evil, hubris and piety. We all know how Croesus misinterpreted the Delphic oracle. And how the prophecies about Jesus or the messiah in the gospels ironically condemn the Jews.

And Josephus introduces the prophecy in the context of a passage listing signs that condemned his people.

Applying criteria to inform us what the author of a work "would have done" in order to sift or weight probabilities of history from fiction is standard fare among theologians or biblical scholars but harder to find in the toolkits of other historians of ancient times. An ancient historian like Moses I. Finley would have found such criteria revolutionary and moved him beyond his words:
For the great bulk of the narrative we are faced with the ‘kernel of truth’ possibility, and I am unaware of any stigmata that automatically distinguish fiction from fact. . . . .
As James McGrath said, perhaps biblical scholars are the real pioneers in historical methods. Pity that Finley failed to appreciate these pioneers.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 has reminded me of the Aramaic Apocalypse:

4Q246, column 1, lines 1-9: 1 [...] settled [up]on him and he fell before the throne 2 [...k]ing for ever. You are angry, and have changed you 3 [...] ... your vision, and everything that shall come for ever. 4 [...mi]ghty ones, oppression will come upon the earth 5 [...] and great slaughter in the provinces 6 [...] king of Assyria [and E]gypt 7 [...] and he will be great over the earth 8 [...] they [will d]o, and all will serve 9 [...gr]eat will he be called and he will be designated by his name.

4Q246, column 2, lines 1-9: 1 He will be called son of God, and they will call him son of the Most High. Like the sparks 2 that you saw, so will their kingdom be; they will rule several year[s] over 3 the earth and crush everything; a people will crush another people, and a province another provi[n]ce. 4 ~ Until the people of God arises and makes everyone rest from the sword. ~ 5 His kingdom will be an eternal kingdom, and all his paths in truth. He will jud[ge] 6 the earth in truth and all will make peace. The sword will cease from the earth, 7 and all the provinces will pay him homage. The great God is his strength, 8 he will wage war for him; he will place the peoples in his hand and 9 cast them all away before him. His rule will be an eternal rule, and all the abysses....

This is a fitting reminder that the prophecies of Daniel were interpreted as predicting a world ruler... just like the "ambiguous oracle."

Also, the mention of sparks here puts me in mind of another eschatological passage of note:

Wisdom 3.1-8: 1 But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of God, and no torment will ever touch them. 2 In the eyes of the foolish they seemed to have died, and their departure was thought to be an affliction, 3 and their going from us to be their destruction; but they are at peace. 4 For though in the sight of men they were punished, their hope is full of immortality. 5 Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good, because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; 6 like gold in the furnace he tried them, and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them. 7 In the time of their visitation they will shine forth, and will run like sparks through the stubble. 8 They will govern nations and rule over peoples, and the Lord will reign over them for ever.

Another prediction of a world ruler, and another connection to Daniel:

Daniel 12.3: 3 "And those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever."

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

Regarding Daniel and Josephus, I don't know Greek, but Whiston's translation of War 6.5.4 looks similar to Dan. 9:26.
... for the Jews, by demolishing the tower of Antonia, had made their temple four-square, while at the same time they had it written in their sacred oracles, that then should their city be taken, as well as their holy house, when once their temple should become four-square.
Dan 9:26:
After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.
This is mentioned after Dan. 9:25, which, as Ben has pointed out, mentions a "square" (rechob):
Jerusalem will be restored and rebuilt with a city square [rechob] and a moat during the troubles of those times.

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/7339.htm
Last edited by John2 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 pm Regarding Daniel and Josephus, I don't know Greek, but Whiston's translation of War 6.5.4 looks similar to Dan. 9:26.
... for the Jews, by demolishing the tower of Antonia, had made their temple four-square, while at the same time they had it written in their sacred oracles, that then should their city be taken, as well as their holy house, when once their temple should become four-square.
Dan 9:26:
After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.
Exactly. Refer to the last item on this post for my take on that: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3862&p=82432#p82432.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

DCHindley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pmYet nobody actually gives any examples of calculations that would put the final eschatological era in the times of Pilate or any Roman for that matter.
1. Hope you are better these days than you were. It don' feel no good to be sicknin'.

2. I actually did some calculatin' around the Passover of 33. The problem is that if Joseph of Arimethea takes down the body at sunset, he is Unclean and cannot attend Passover. "Jesus" is already Unclean for being around Lazarus six days before Passover. He is eating a meal with utensils and pots and such around a Gravesite. He is also a Sojourner.

3. Jay Raskin has looked a lot at the Goings-On of the High Priest and the females characters in and around this time. There does seem to be a lot happening around the ol' Temple in 33.

4. My original intent was to see if Jehoiarib was involved in Temple Service at Passover in 33. What to do? The solution is the Second Passover (See: Numbers). If Joseph goes to the first Passover, he is free to take down the body at the Second Passover. If "Jesus" is at the Second Passover, he may be clean as well.

5. Guess which Mishmarot Service is on Duty for the Second Passover in 33? Jehoiarib. This would give the loss of the Temple to Jehoiarib both times and also the Savior. They can't catch a break. The end of the Hasmoneans transfers Royalty and the High Priesthood to the Romans. Neat trick.

6. I need to get a hobby. I know this is RILLY way out there but at least there is SOME kinda' calculations goin' on.

Best,

CW
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Charles Wilson wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm
DCHindley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pmYet nobody actually gives any examples of calculations that would put the final eschatological era in the times of Pilate or any Roman for that matter.
1. Hope you are better these days than you were. It don' feel no good to be sicknin'.

2. I actually did some calculatin' around the Passover of 33. The problem is that if Joseph of Arimethea takes down the body at sunset, he is Unclean and cannot attend Passover. "Jesus" is already Unclean for being around Lazarus six days before Passover. He is eating a meal with utensils and pots and such around a Gravesite. He is also a Sojourner.

3. Jay Raskin has looked a lot at the Goings-On of the High Priest and the females characters in and around this time. There does seem to be a lot happening around the ol' Temple in 33.

4. My original intent was to see if Jehoiarib was involved in Temple Service at Passover in 33. What to do? The solution is the Second Passover (See: Numbers). If Joseph goes to the first Passover, he is free to take down the body at the Second Passover. If "Jesus" is at the Second Passover, he may be clean as well.

5. Guess which Mishmarot Service is on Duty for the Second Passover in 33? Jehoiarib. This would give the loss of the Temple to Jehoiarib both times and also the Savior. They can't catch a break. The end of the Hasmoneans transfers Royalty and the High Priesthood to the Romans. Neat trick.

6. I need to get a hobby. I know this is RILLY way out there but at least there is SOME kinda' calculations goin' on.
We whack-a-doodles must keep on a' whacking.

There was a time I was interested in the calendar related cyclical texts among the DSS, and I went out to photocopy Parker & Dubberstein's Babylonian Chronology. Unfortumately, while establishing the likely dates for first visibility of the new moons of the period (in other words, we know when months started), we do not know for sure which month(s) they might have been in the Judean calendar.

And what about intercalations of the seasonal year? The Macedonians and Judeans, supposedly, used an 8 yr cycle (octaetris, with 3 intercalations) while the Babylonians had their more complicated 19 year cycle (metonic, with 7 intercalated months).

However, I think that there is a fragmented scroll with a synchronization between the 364 day year and the priestly rotations, but what year they actually started the synchronization in is not clear to me. I think I first saw some of this in J T Milik's The Books of Enoch (from Cave 4) in 1976, then I started to read up on the Otot cycles in various DSS translations.

Unfortunately, my brain, enfeebled by lack of proper nourishment, is only now recovering from my toothly troubles (upper dentures, still getting used to it), so I have been putting off a proper investigation.

You seem to have been following this kind of stuff, so let me ask: What resources would you recommend I read? Anyone who offers ways to connect the dots? :confusedsmiley:

DCH