The Most Interesting Man in the World

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

The Most Interesting Man in the World

Post by Secret Alias »

My friend Harry Tzalas underwater archaeologist has notified me that he is working on a monograph updating all information regarding the location and existence of the church of St Mark in Alexandria (the remains of which could still be seen when he was a youth growing in Alexandria before Nasser built that massive dam). Here is the update:
After 20 years of work in Alexandria and 30 underwater archaeological campaigns, we have started preparing a large collective publication where I expect to present the up-today Surveys of the Greek Mission. One of the articles I am writing is related to our sub-site Chatby 2, where I believe that the remains of St. Mark church and martyrium lie submerged at some 100 m from the littoral. There is an important submergence of all the eastern coast of Alexandria which resulted in large parts of necropolises, stone quarries as well as foundations of important structures to be found at depth of 3 to 4 m and at a distances of over 100 m from the shores. Among the many remains witnessing to the presence of a large proto-Christian building at Chatby is a "Sygma table", two large early Christian capitals, several columelae and a red granite apsis usually found in synagogues and churches. Large trenches I opened on the shores contained an enormous amount of pottery sherds, all dating to the 5th - 6th c. A.D. The location of this early church and martyrium is also marked on two important early cartographic documents of Alexandria; the Codex Urbinate 1472 and the Archivos de Simacas 1605.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote