Paul and James on faith and works.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

Paul and James on faith and works.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

David R. Nienhuis has one of the best comparisons between Paul and James I have ever seen in his contribution to The Catholic Epistles and Apostolic Tradition:

Paul (Romans)
James (James)
2.11: 11 For there is no partiality with God.2.1: 1 My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism.
2.13 13 ...for not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.1.22-25: 22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; 24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man shall be blessed in what he does.
2.21-23: 21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that one should not steal, do you steal? 22 You who say that one should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the Law, through your breaking the Law, do you dishonor God?2.8-11: 8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law, according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not commit murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.
3.8: 8 And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say), "Let us do evil that good may come?" Their condemnation is just.- [Paul here acknowledges that his position is sometimes misunderstood or misrepresented.]
3.27-28: 27 Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.2.14-18: 14 What use is it, my brethren, if a man says he has faith, but he has no works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. 18 But someone may well say, "You have faith, and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."
3.29-30: 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one.2.19: 19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.
4.1-3: 1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about; but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? "And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."2.20-22: 20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? 22 You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected.
4.9-12, 22: 9 Is this blessing then upon the circumcised, or upon the uncircumcised also? For we say, "Faith was reckoned to Abraham as righteousness." 10 How then was it reckoned? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be reckoned to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. .... 22 Therefore also it was reckoned to him as righteousness.2.23: 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness," and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone.

That is a powerful presentation, I think (which I have modified somewhat from the table on pages 186-187 of the book; I have also added the text, since Nienhuis offered only the references).

From another source, now forgotten, I also got the following Jewish treatments of faith and works:

1 Maccabees 2.49-68: 49 Now the days drew near for Mattathias to die, and he said to his sons: "Arrogance and reproach have now become strong; it is a time of ruin and furious anger. 50 Now, my children, show zeal for the law, and give your lives for the covenant of our fathers. 51 Remember the works of the fathers [τὰ ἔργα τῶν πατέρων], which they did in their generations; and receive great honor and an everlasting name. 52 Was not Abraham found faithful when tested, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness [Αβρααμ οὐχὶ ἐν πειρασμῷ εὑρέθη πιστός καὶ ἐλογίσθη αὐτῷ εἰς δικαιοσύνην]? 53 Joseph in the time of his distress kept the commandment, and became lord of Egypt. 54 Phinehas our father, because he was deeply zealous, received the covenant of everlasting priesthood. 55 Joshua, because he fulfilled the command, became a judge in Israel. 56 Caleb, because he testified in the assembly, received an inheritance in the land. 57 David, because he was merciful, inherited the throne of the kingdom for ever. 58 Elijah because of great zeal for the law was taken up into heaven. 59 Hannaniah, Azariah, and Mishael believed and were saved from the flame. 60 Daniel because of his innocence was delivered from the mouth of the lions. 61 And so observe, from generation to generation, that none who put their trust in him will lack strength. 62 Do not fear the words of a sinner, for his splendor will turn into dung and worms. 63 Today he will be exalted, but tomorrow he will not be found, because he has returned to the dust, and his plans will perish. 64 My children, be courageous and grow strong in the law, for by it you will gain honor. 65 Now behold, I know that Simeon your brother is wise in counsel; always listen to him; he shall be your father. 66 Judas Maccabeus has been a mighty warrior from his youth; he shall command the army for you and fight the battle against the peoples. 67 You shall rally about you all who observe the law, and avenge the wrong done to your people. 68 Pay back the Gentiles in full, and heed what the law commands."

Jubilees 17.15-16: 15 And it came to pass in the seventh week, in the first year thereof, in the first month in this jubilee, on the twelfth of this month, there were voices in heaven regarding Abraham, that he was faithful in all that He told him, and that he loved the Lord, and that in every affliction he was faithful. 16 And the prince Mastêmâ came and said before God, "Behold, Abraham loves Isaac his son, and he delights in him above all things else; bid him offer him as a burnt-offering on the altar, and Thou wilt see if he will do this command, and Thou wilt know if he is faithful in everything wherein Thou dost try him."

There is also this fragment from Qumran:

4Q398, fragments 14-17, column 2, lines 2b-4: 2b And also we have written to you 3 some of the works of the Torah [מעשי התורה] which we think are good for you and for your people, for we s[a]w 4 that you have intellect and knowledge of the Law.

Paul definitely seems to interpret "works" as "works of the Law," by which must be meant things like circumcision and diet: the very customs which separate Jews from gentiles:

Romans 3.20: 20 ...because by the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου] no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3.28: 28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law [χωρὶς ἔργων νόμου].

Galatians 2.16: 16 ...nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου] but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου]; since by the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου] shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3.2: 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου], or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3.5: 5 Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου], or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3.10: 10 For as many as are of the works of the Law [ἐξ ἔργων νόμου] are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them."

Yet James, in 2.14-18, seems to interpret "works" as anything which could be considered good and decent, like giving to the poor.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here? That table of parallels, most of them in order, between the Pauline epistle to the Romans and the epistle of James is pretty impressive, I think, but Paul and James agree throughout most of it (for example, both take a stand against partiality, and both think that to break some parts of the Law while keeping other parts of the Law is worthless), disagreeing only on faith and works. And Paul suggests that his position on this topic has been misunderstood by some, while James may indeed misunderstand Paul at the crucial juncture. Something is going on, but I do not have it all worked out yet.

Ben.

ETA 1: I have posted a similar thread comparing 1 Peter and James: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3879.

ETA 2: Another good parallel between James and Romans, thanks to Irish1975:

Romans 7.22-23: 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body waging war [ἐν τοῖς μέλεσίν μου ἀντιστρατευόμενον] against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.

James 4.1: 1 What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures, which are waging war in your members [τῶν στρατευομένων ἐν τοῖς μέλεσιν ὑμῶν]?

Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Re: Paul and James on faith and works.

Post by Secret Alias »

It might be useful to look at how James is used in the Pseudo-Clementines especially the letter to Peter which begins one of the books.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
StephenGoranson

Re: Paul and James on faith and works.

Post by StephenGoranson »

Perhaps consider, say, "The Men Who Hid the Dead Sea Scrolls" by A. Douglas Tushingham, National Geographic Magazine, December 1958 pp. 785 ff:
"the Essenes,...the 'Doers of the Law'....'"
Pharisees and Sadducees and Samaritans would not call them this, 'osey hatorah.
More on this:
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/Essenes_&_Others.pdf

Some relevant bibliography:

1532 Ph. Melanchthon in J. Carion, Chronica. Wittenberg, 1532. f68v:
Essei / das ist / Operarii / vom wort Assa / das ist wircken.
1548 Paul Eber, Populi Iudaici Historia.
1550 The Thre Bokes of Cronicles... London. ...to declare the
straitnesse and severitie of lyfe with the dede, and would be called
Essey, that is workers or doers, for Assa, whence the name commeth,
sygnifieth to worke...
1557 David Chytraeus [Kochhafe], Onomasticon.
1559 M. Flacius Illyricus et al. Ecclesiastica Hist., Magdeburg
Centuries. Basel.
1560 Cooper's Chronicle, London.
?1566 M. Victorinum ed, Jerome Opera. Rome, Ep. 22 note.
[1573-75 Azariah dei Rossi. Me'or Enayim. Mantua.]
1583 J. Scaliger, De Emendatione Temporum. on hallucination.
1605 Scaliger, Elenchus Trihaeresii. different view.
1619 Sixtinus Amama ed. De Sectis Iudaicis..., Arnheim.
1674 J. Lightfoot, Horae Hebraicae et Talmudicae, on Lk. xv, 7.
1680 Johann H. Willemer. Dissertatio...Essenis....
1699 J. Leusden. Philologus.
1703 J. Triglandius ed., Trium Scriptorum...Judaeorum Sectis...Delft.
107: factores legis.
1743-4 J.C. Happach. De Essaeorum Nomine. Coburg.
1745 J. U. Tresenreuter, program 50, De Essaeorum Nomine, p. 535ff
1748 Joh. Carpzov.
1839 Isaak Jost, Die Essaer..., Israelitische Annalen 19, 145-7.
1858 S. Cohn; David Oppenheim, MGWJ 7, 270-1; 272-3.
1862 L. Landsberg, Allgemeine Zeitung des Judenthum 26/33, 459.
1864 C. D. Ginsburg, The Essenes [& Cyclopedia arts.].
1875 J. Lightfoot, Saint Paul's Epistles to the Colossians...appendix.
1881 A. B. Gottlober, ...B$M KT H(SS(N(R )W (SS((R HaBoker Or [Warsaw] 170-1.
1881 Rev. Et. J. 3, 295.
1894 Kruger, Theologische Quartalschrift 76 [&1887, 69]
1938 H.M.J. Loewe in Encyclopedia Britannica (14th) 718. (includes 'asah as a possible etymology, soon before the Qumran discoveries).