Who wrote the NT?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Who wrote the NT?

Post by Giuseppe »

''Brothers of the Lord'' ?

Apostles?

Prophets?

Teachers?

Bishops?

Diacons?

god?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
MrMacSon

Re: Who wrote the NT?

Post by MrMacSon »

Who compiled the NT?

How much editing and redacting was done while it was being put together?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

No, no. I mean: who were "Mark", "Matthew", Marcion, etc?

Were they prophets or teachers?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

I have no means whereby to prove it, but I suspect that much of the authorship of the NT was the product of various schools, with multiple teacher and student authors, and with debates leading to redactions happening right in the classroom. And perhaps as students left one school and traveled to another, they took what they learned along with them, and melded it into the product of their new school.

Certainly such high Christology was not the product of a handful of admittedly illiterate fishermen from Galilee.
toejam

Post by toejam »

Paul wrote some. The rest we don't know beyond saying early Christians from c.70-120CE, with the Pastorals perhaps being a little later still...
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
John2

Post by John2 »

I think James the Just wrote the Letter of James, his brother Jude wrote Jude, Peter wrote 1 Peter, and Mark was a Gentile follower of Peter and wrote the Gospel of Mark (and is mentioned in 1 Peter). I think whoever wrote Revelation was a Jewish Christian named John writing from Patmos, like he says in 1:9. I think Paul wrote Romans, Galatians, 1 and 2 Corinthians, 1 Thessalonians (including 2:14-15), Philippians and Philemon. I've never really thought about who wrote Matthew, and I figure Luke was a Gentile writing sometime after the publication of Josephus' Antiquities and can imagine it being as late as after the Bar Kokhba war (and I think they used Matthew and there was no Q). I haven't thought about the Gospel of John or other letters much. Excepting this or that interpolation, I don't think it needs to be more complicated than this.
Last edited by John2 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Blood

Post by Blood »

They were people with enough free time, money, and literacy to obtain copies of the LXX and study it deeply, and had access to a Greek-style education to a certain degree, both of which put them in an elite category -- a far cry from the humble "pious tradents" that modern scholarship would like to believe them to be. Most likely they were leaders of congregations who supported them financially. They must have had some independent wealth. Obtaining copies of the LXX could not have been easy. You had to have "connections" and credentials, like getting access to the Vatican Library.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Jax

Post by Jax »

Blood wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm They were people with enough free time, money, and literacy to obtain copies of the LXX and study it deeply, and had access to a Greek-style education to a certain degree, both of which put them in an elite category -- a far cry from the humble "pious tradents" that modern scholarship would like to believe them to be. Most likely they were leaders of congregations who supported them financially. They must have had some independent wealth. Obtaining copies of the LXX could not have been easy. You had to have "connections" and credentials, like getting access to the Vatican Library.
For the most part I agree with this. :thumbup:
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Probably deacons or teachers first. The Apostle (singular) would compose the basis of the Evangelium (in fact, I'm beginning to suspect that the original Good News was something like an Epistle), but this would serve as a source.

If we're just limiting ourselves to who wrote/compiled our canon, then we do have an answer: Irenaeus. But if we're asking what his sources were, then the answer is less straightforward. That's why I've focused on the geography of the texts rather than their authors.

Ur-John, Syria

Ur-Mark, Alexandria

Ur-Matthew, Judea

Luke (entirely fraudulent), Rome

This may help narrow the list of potential authors of each source text.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:16 am Probably deacons or teachers first. The Apostle (singular) would compose the basis of the Evangelium (in fact, I'm beginning to suspect that the original Good News was something like an Epistle), but this would serve as a source.

If we're just limiting ourselves to who wrote/compiled our canon, then we do have an answer: Irenaeus. But if we're asking what his sources were, then the answer is less straightforward. That's why I've focused on the geography of the texts rather than their authors.

Ur-John, Syria

Ur-Mark, Alexandria

Ur-Matthew, Judea

Luke (entirely fraudulent), Rome

This may help narrow the list of potential authors of each source text.
Why do you assign Ur-Mark to Alexandria?