How does the mythical Jesus thing hang together?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: How does the mythical Jesus thing hang together?

Post by Giuseppe »

Bernard Muller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am but there is no evidence that Tacitus was repeating rumour.
If Tacitus wasn't repeating rumor, then it wasn't a rumor the his confusion of a procurator (Pilate) with praefectus: isn't it a reductio ad absurdum ?

Without mentioning the fact that Tacitus could well euhemerize himself a mythical Jesus, out of contempt of the Christian superstitio and inventing his execution by Pilate as a possible ''historical'' explanation of the origin of the cult. Remember that the Christian apologist Anaxagoras euhemerized Zeus out of contempt of the Pagan superstitio.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 am George Washington had a lot of things written about him that weren't true, e.g. he chopped down a cherry tree, threw a silver dollar across the Potomac river, had wooden teeth etc,.

Does that mean George Washington was a myth?

Once you see the double standard of the Mythicists, e.g. Carrier and Price, you will quickly realize they are not really interested in disproving the historical existence of Jesus but in promoting atheism by using a clever trick.

That is, if you can disprove anything about the historical existence of Jesus then by extension you have disproved the existence of God.

Too clever by half.

John T
Oh John, you are impossible. :-) Neither I, nor Carrier, nor Price, argues that because there are untrue tales told about X that therefore X did not exist. That's a grotesque mispresentation of the argument. Have you actually read the arguments? It appears not.

Demonstrate to us that you have read the argument by representing it honestly and we can have a conversation. (An easy place to start is the argument set out just very recently at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3886&start=20#p82928)

But as for it being an atheist agenda? Then you have a hard time explaining Thomas Brodie and Tom Harpur and others who argue for mythicism AND theism/Christianity, while also comprehending atheists like John Loftus who, like me, argue that the worst possible way to try to argue against Christianity is to argue mythicism.)
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 am
Bernard Muller wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am but there is no evidence that Tacitus was repeating rumour.
If Tacitus wasn't repeating rumor, then it wasn't a rumor the his confusion of a procurator (Pilate) with praefectus: isn't it a reductio ad absurdum ?

Without mentioning the fact that Tacitus could well euhemerize himself a mythical Jesus, out of contempt of the Christian superstitio and inventing his execution by Pilate as a possible ''historical'' explanation of the origin of the cult. Remember that the Christian apologist Anaxagoras euhemerized Zeus out of contempt of the Pagan superstitio.
It's pointless discussing the issue with Bernard, but just pointing out that any scholarly work discussing the virtues and vices of Tacitus as a historian will acknowledge his frequent reliance upon rumour and gossip.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

gmx wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 am
neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am
I see the OT as clear evidence for the source of episodes in Jesus' life. It's not really "silence" as to the origin of the story. Example, Matthew's nativity story comes from the story of Moses. That's clear.

But you are quite correct that that OT source of stories about Jesus does not prove he was nonhistorical and entirely made up. Correct.

The point, though, is that if all we have are stories that we can either trace to OT or other literary precedents or stories that can find no corroboration at all in independent contemporary sources then we have no reason to embrace the historicity of Jesus.
I'm not sure that's all we have. The passion narrative (you mentioned Matthew lifting the nativity from Moses), controversies, miracles, the extensive dialogue, sayings, monologues, beatitudes etc... sure, it can't be corroborated outside of the gospels, but there is plenty that does not find a direct counterpart in the OT, and therefore came from somewhere.
"All we have" includes uncorroborated independent contemporary sources, and that's certainly "what we have" with the Passion narrative in the gospels.

But as for the Passion Narrative being created out of an intertextual engagement with the OT, the case for that is even stronger than the nativity narrative being from Moses. Kee set it all out in an article I discuss at 160 Scriptural Quotations and Allusions in Mark 11-16. That's not how historians write history when they have historical sources. And that's before we get to the historical anomalies and impossibilities in the passion narrative itself.

There is precious little in the gospels whose sources cannot be identified. The ethics Jesus teaches are very largely from common philosophical tropes of the day, both Greco-Roman and Middle Eastern traditions. It is difficult, I think, to find very much in the gospels that cannot be sourced from the literature and common ideas of the day.

But this is just one point that is not even the most critical. The fact that there is no corroborating evidence means that we cannot know if it was historical or not. We do know that ancient historians (and "novelists") did present outright fiction, their own creative compositions, as "history". Much has been written about them and the methods of historians of those days. Not even modern historians accept information unless it can be independently corroborated. That's just standard common sense practice. (Though it is very rare among biblical scholars, unfortunately. It is standard or routine understanding in other history departments to the best of my knowledge.)

By all means say that we cannot know if Jesus was myth or history, but we cannot default to the historical argument given the nature of the evidence we have. The best we can do is what a few biblical historians do and that is accept the Jesus we have, the literary and theological one. Whether there was a historical person behind that Jesus is another question that will have to await more evidence another day.
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 pm
John T wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 am George Washington had a lot of things written about him that weren't true, e.g. he chopped down a cherry tree, threw a silver dollar across the Potomac river, had wooden teeth etc,.

Does that mean George Washington was a myth?

Once you see the double standard of the Mythicists, e.g. Carrier and Price, you will quickly realize they are not really interested in disproving the historical existence of Jesus but in promoting atheism by using a clever trick.

That is, if you can disprove anything about the historical existence of Jesus then by extension you have disproved the existence of God.

Too clever by half.

John T
That's a grotesque mispresentation of the argument. Have you actually read the arguments? It appears not.
Neil, as you already know, I have been there and done that for you, repeatedly.

I shall quote for you once again Dr. Ehrman who exposed the hypocrisy of the mythicist movement.

"Their agenda is religious, and they are complicit in a religious ideology. They are not doing history; they are doing theology."...Did Jesus Exist? pg. 338.

I could be wrong and Robert Price and Richard Carrier are not atheist salesmen at all but rather honest scholars that have an unbiased set of standards for establishing historical truths - but we both know better, don't we? :facepalm:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:04 pm Neil, as you already know, I have been there and done that for you, repeatedly.

I shall quote for you once again Dr. Ehrman who exposed the hypocrisy of the mythicist movement.

"Their agenda is religious, and they are complicit in a religious ideology. They are not doing history; they are doing theology."...Did Jesus Exist? pg. 338.

I could be wrong and Robert Price and Richard Carrier are not atheist salesmen at all but rather honest scholars that have an unbiased set of standards for establishing historical truths - but we both know better, don't we? :facepalm:

John T
No you haven't John. I don't recall you ever once addressing the actual arguments. Only your straw man substitutes.

So you are not interested in the argument I presented or what mythicists actually argue. Dealing with the arguments that belie your case is not your thing? Just quote Ehrman?
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

I generally assume that there was an early first century Paul for the sake of argument. To what extent the canonical letters bearing his name, even the so-called 7 authentic ones, very likely do not look like what he originally wrote, however. We have good reason to believe they have been added to in the theological disputes of the second century. I don't know if we have any reason to think that any of the "deutero-Paul" letters were composed earlier than the very late first century (more likely second century?). But I have not checked my notes and may be forgetting something crucial.
You are contradicting yourself. Once you have admitted that you have assumed there was an early first century Paul then you are really assuming there are authentic letters. You don't know and have no evidence whatsoever of an early first century Paul and have no evidence whatsoever that any letter under the name of Paul are authentic.

It is extremely strange that the very people who question the historicity of Jesus due to lack of historical evidence would assume Paul existed when the Pauline character is completely unknown in the same ancient writings which do not mention Jesus and his disciples.
neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am Dennis MacDonald has an older book discussing the various struggles that appear to have been fought over claims to have Paul's authority for this or that teaching. Paul's original letters were added to in order to use the authority of Paul to justify new teachings; Acts of the Apostles was written in part to demonstrate that Paul was really on the side of "orthodoxy"; Ditto new epistles written in his name (possibly the author of Acts in some cases) to support a certain church authority by using Paul's name; then Acts of Paul and Thecla....
If it is assumed Paul was early and Acts was late then the latter would be rather useless. If it is assumed Paul actually preached around the Roman Empire and wrote letters to Churches since at least 39-54 CE then a story written perhaps no earlier than 50 years later would not cause any struggle.

People in the supposed early Churches would have already known what Paul preached decades before Acts was written.
neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am It looks as though "orthodoxy" was attempting to co-opt Paul (who had long been the "apostle of the heretics") in order to win some sort of ideological warfare against those "heretics".
For such a claim to be true both Acts of the Apostles and the Pauline letters would have to be contemporary.
neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am As for the "forged" letters of Paul not including gospel material, the most likely reason is that the gospels were not known by the forgers or not widely enough regarded to be "authentic" and of any use. The Gospel of Mark, if written around 70, appears not to have been part of the "orthodox" establishment until well into the second century (it had a reputation for being associated with Basilides) -- and Mark itself as we know it (its canonical form) was almost certainly not what was originally written by "Mark". There appear to have been additions, redactions, etc. to a gospel that at one point was quite Pauline.

If so, and given the allegorical character of the gospel, if the Gospel of Mark were known to any forger of Paul it is likely that they recognized it as a parable and not to be read as literal history anyway.
You seem to believe your assumptions about Paul are true. You have no evidence whatsoever that gMark was "at one point quite Pauline".

It is quite the opposite. gMark is not at all like the Pauline letters and the author shows no indication that he ever heard the teachings of Paul, ever been to a Pauline Church or ever read the Pauline letters.

The letters under the name of Paul are later embellishments which can easily be seen when we examine any story about Jesus that is found in both gMark and the Epistles.

Mark 16:6-8---6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.

In gMark the resurrection has nothing to do with salvation.

The Pauline gospel [the good news] of salvation by the resurrection must have come after gMark.

Romans 10:9----That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1 Corinthians 15:17 ----And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

Galatians 1:1--- -Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead.

Colossians 1:18--And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

hakeem wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:13 pm

I generally assume that there was an early first century Paul for the sake of argument. To what extent the canonical letters bearing his name, even the so-called 7 authentic ones, very likely do not look like what he originally wrote, however. We have good reason to believe they have been added to in the theological disputes of the second century. I don't know if we have any reason to think that any of the "deutero-Paul" letters were composed earlier than the very late first century (more likely second century?). But I have not checked my notes and may be forgetting something crucial.
You are contradicting yourself. Once you have admitted that you have assumed there was an early first century Paul then you are really assuming there are authentic letters. You don't know and have no evidence whatsoever of an early first century Paul and have no evidence whatsoever that any letter under the name of Paul are authentic.

It is extremely strange that the very people who question the historicity of Jesus due to lack of historical evidence would assume Paul existed when the Pauline character is completely unknown in the same ancient writings which do not mention Jesus and his disciples.
Assumption is not conviction or fact. What I mean is that I assume for the sake of argument. I don't know if there was an historical Paul who wrote the genuine letters etc. But the case is defensible if not definitive.

I am quite prepared to likewise consider arguments that assume there was no historical Paul and I do that too, sometimes.

I am not arguing that there a first century Paul who was a historical person. I merely assume that for the sake of argument in certain contexts. That's all.
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm
John T wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:04 pm Neil, as you already know, I have been there and done that for you, repeatedly.

John T
No you haven't John. I don't recall you ever once addressing the actual arguments. Only your straw man substitutes.

So you are not interested in the argument I presented or what mythicists actually argue. Dealing with the arguments that belie your case is not your thing? Just quote Ehrman?
Neil, so tell us then, since you read; "Did Jesus Exist?" exactly how Dr. Ehrman got it all wrong.

Thanks in advance.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:30 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:21 pm

John T

Neil, so tell us then, since you read; "Did Jesus Exist?" exactly how Dr. Ehrman got it all wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Oh John T. I wrote:
Demonstrate to us that you have read the argument by representing it honestly and we can have a conversation. (An easy place to start is the argument set out just very recently at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3886&start=20#p82928)
Now do try to be good and do that for me, please.

My reviews of Ehrman's book are here: https://vridar.org/category/biblical-st ... sus-exist/