Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Nasruddin
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Nasruddin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 am

The "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" say it all.

Joseph D. L.
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Joseph D. L. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Nasruddin wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 am
The "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" say it all.
You mean, just as Dionysus and Osiris had "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" as well (Osiris was never sewed to his father's thigh; Dionysus never married his sister), despite many Greek and Latin writers conflating the two?

john1565
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by john1565 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked!

Nasruddin
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Nasruddin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 am

Joseph D. L. wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 pm
Nasruddin wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 am
The "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" say it all.
You mean, just as Dionysus and Osiris had "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" as well (Osiris was never sewed to his father's thigh; Dionysus never married his sister), despite many Greek and Latin writers conflating the two?
Your point being? The question posed was "Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?"

I could list the "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" between oranges and lemons, but that doesn't alter the "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" between bananas and cucumbers.

But I have no need to prove a point.

Joseph D. L.
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Joseph D. L. » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Nasruddin wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:54 am
But I have no need to prove a point.
Then why bother saying anything?

Nasruddin
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Nasruddin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 pm

I made a comment. Its an open forum.

Joseph D. L.
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Joseph D. L. » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Nasruddin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 pm
I made a comment. Its an open forum.
But saying that you don't have a point to prove, especially after making a rather irrelevant argument, just makes you come across as disingenuous.

Please don't make irrelevant points or comments in future.

Nasruddin
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Nasruddin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Joseph D. L. wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 pm
Nasruddin wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 pm
I made a comment. Its an open forum.
But saying that you don't have a point to prove, especially after making a rather irrelevant argument, just makes you come across as disingenuous.

Please don't make irrelevant points or comments in future.
This thread was about Tammuz & Jesus, with a linked article

Those who bothered to read the article will know that it reads;
"Beyond these similarities, however, the story of Tammuz and Jesus are rather different."
"There are some parallels between Jesus and Tammuz, but there are also significant differences."

The article concludes that they are essentially different deities.

Therefore when I pointed out that the comments '"superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" in the OP was an apt description, I was reflecting what the article says. I couldn't get more relevant than that.

Then you brought in Osiris & Dionysus. There is no mention of these two in the article or the OP, and I fail to see how they are helpful with the specific argument about Tammuz & Jesus. Hence my comment about "oranges and lemons" (i.e. Osiris and Dionysus do have underlying similarities) and "bananas and cucumbers (i.e. Tammuz and Jesus have superficial similarities).

You seem to find it difficult to follow the subtleties of my posts (or maybe you didn't read the article, and just jumped in with an opinion?). Perhaps I should have been as blunt as you are, and just told you that your comment was irrelevant, and ordered you not to post in the future (which I'm sure will have as much effect on you as it will have on me).

Joseph D. L.
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 am

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by Joseph D. L. » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:05 pm

And you continue to make the most irrelevant comments.

I did read the article, and am very much aware of the arguments for and against the pagan parallel proposition.

My reason for bringing up Osiris and Dionysus is to show that, when Christianity and the Jesus story was beginning to emerge, such distinctions were not thought of. Osiris and Dionysus (and Adonis, Attis, Mithras and Sabazios) both had underlying differences. But despite these, they were all written of as being THE SAME god. Not similar, the same.

So the "superficial commonalities" and "significant differences" between Tammuz and Jesus is a moot point of contention.

You made it emphatically apparent that you had no desire to engage or discuss by saying that you don't have a point to prove. Yet 1) you continue to respond, and 2) shows you to be disingenuous.

andrewcriddle
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Tammus and Jesus : More than a distant connection?

Post by andrewcriddle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Joseph D. L. wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:05 pm
And you continue to make the most irrelevant comments.

I did read the article, and am very much aware of the arguments for and against the pagan parallel proposition.

My reason for bringing up Osiris and Dionysus is to show that, when Christianity and the Jesus story was beginning to emerge, such distinctions were not thought of. Osiris and Dionysus (and Adonis, Attis, Mithras and Sabazios) both had underlying differences. But despite these, they were all written of as being THE SAME god. Not similar, the same.
Could you provide a source for that claim please ?
Although syncretism between specific gods clearly happened I don't think it took quite this general form.

Andrew Criddle

Post Reply