Proof (Perhaps) of the Existence of Isaiah

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Proof (Perhaps) of the Existence of Isaiah

Post by Secret Alias »

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
neilgodfrey

Re: Proof (Perhaps) of the Existence of Isaiah

Post by neilgodfrey »

Discovered by none other than Eliat Mazar, of course. The archaeologist who proudly works with the Bible in one hand guiding the trowel in the other. The archaeologist who has a reputation for digging up proofs of the Bible. And who published this find in a journal dedicated to proving the Bible through archaeology.

I'll wait for sober analysis by serious critics but won't be holding my breath till they're done. Till then I guess the logical conclusion must be that Isaiah the prophet was a Palestinian.

Not long before they'll turn up an inscription "Jonah son of Amittai who was swallowed by the great fish and lived, Greeting..."
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Prof. Christopher Rollston offers some cautions:
"The Putative Bulla of Isaiah the Prophet: Not So Fast"
http://www.rollstonepigraphy.com/?p=796
StephenGoranson

Additional observations by Rollston:
http://www.rollstonepigraphy.com/?p=801
StephenGoranson

Prof. Rollston's third comment:
http://www.rollstonepigraphy.com/?p=833
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm Discovered by none other than Eliat Mazar, of course. The archaeologist who proudly works with the Bible in one hand guiding the trowel in the other. The archaeologist who has a reputation for digging up proofs of the Bible. And who published this find in a journal dedicated to proving the Bible through archaeology.

I'll wait for sober analysis by serious critics but won't be holding my breath till they're done. Till then I guess the logical conclusion must be that Isaiah the prophet was a Palestinian.

Not long before they'll turn up an inscription "Jonah son of Amittai who was swallowed by the great fish and lived, Greeting..."
Once again, Neil criticizes not on the evidence (for he cares not about the merits) but on the religious belief of the archaeologist. :wtf:

This is type of ad hominem attack should have no place among respected scholars.

I recommend that Neil actually read the report by Eilat Mazar before trashing her discovery.

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
John T

Post by John T »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 am Additional observations by Rollston:
http://www.rollstonepigraphy.com/?p=801
First off, thanks Mr. Goranson for taking the time (unlike Neil) to actually read about the bulla discovery by Eilat Mazar.

Furthermore, (unlike Neil), I actually read the article in BAR by Eilat Mazar as well as your link with the rebuttal by Rollston. So, I would like to discuss one point of Rollston that I disagree with.

Rollston wrote: "Finally, I wish to emphasize that it is possible that there is not enough space after the yod for an additional letter. Along those lines, Lawrence Mykytiuk has indeed mentioned to me the fact that he is not convinced there is enough space for a letter after the yod."...Rollston

However, I respectfully disagree, having seen the pictures of the bulla, I believe there is indeed room enough for one more letter after the yod.

Be as that may, Rollston is missing the larger point of Mazar's claim. "Whether or not the bulla we found in the Ophel excavations is the bulla of the prophet Isaiah, it remains, nevertheless, a unique and fantastic discovery."...Eilat Mazar BAR March 2018 pg. 66.

Eilat Mazar is being too modest, she did excellent work and entitled to place her marker as she best sees fit.

I generally accept the view that any qualified archeologists that makes a discovery is free (nay obligated) to deposit their best theory as to its significance. It is up to others to prove or disprove the conjecture. With that in mind, Rollston did not disprove Mazar's findings. Because Eilat Mazar never claimed it was proof of the existence of Isaiah or claimed that the bulla was owned by Isaiah. What she did do is point out that the bulla was found in the same immediate area that a bulla of King Hezekiah was found (among 22 other bullae). She admits she is speculating as to what the missing letters on the bulla could be but there is room enough to fill in the blanks with nvy which means "prophet" in Hebrew.

Members on this forum who do not show proper respect for her credentials deserve some criticism by the grown-ups on this forum, don't you think? :tomato:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

According to Mazar, “alongside the bullae of Hezekiah… [were] 22 additional bullae… among these is the bulla of “Yesha‘yah Nvy[?], ”which is most straightforwardly translated as “Isaiah the Prophet.”

StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 amProf. Christopher Rollston offers some cautions: "The Putative Bulla of Isaiah the Prophet: Not So Fast" http://www.rollstonepigraphy.com/?p=796
(3) The critically important letter that would be needed to confirm that the second word is the title “prophet” is an alep. But no aleph is legible on this bulla, and so that reading cannot be confirmed at all.

In addition to Rollston's Point: Should we assume that "prophet" was an official title and that these old prophets had their own "prophet-seal"? Should we assume that Isaiah was such an "official prophet"? :scratch: