2 Thessalonians 2.6-7 and Mark 13.14.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

2 Thessalonians 2.6-7 and Mark 13.14.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

I have pointed out the apparent constructio ad sensum in this Marcan verse before:

Mark 13.14: 14 "But when you see the abomination [τὸ βδέλυγμα, neuter] of desolation standing [ἑστηκότα, masculine] where he should not be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains."

The masculine participle modifying a neuter noun suggests that the abomination is a person, at least in some way.

But I would love to see masterfully explained is why a similar mixing of the masculine and the neuter should appear in an epistolary passage which in other ways seems to parallel Mark 13:

2 Thessalonians 2.6-7: 6 And you know what restrains [τὸ κατέχον, neuter] him now, so that in his time he may be revealed. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who restrains [ὁ κατέχων, masculine] now will do so until he is taken out of the way.

But here it is the one restraining the man of sin/lawlessness who is described both as a "who" and as a "what," leading to evangelical suggestions (well known to me from my youth) that the restrainer is the Holy Spirit (since "spirit" in Greek is neuter, but the Holy Spirit is treated as a person). I have also seen suggestions that the restrainer is the Roman emperor (a person), representing the Roman empire (a thing), or that the restrainer is Michael the archangel. However those suggestions may be received, is there something going on in these passages whereby persons in the prophesied eschatological drama are treated as things, or things as persons? Does this phenomenon exist elsewhere?

For my part, I am pretty happy with some of the suggestions for what is going on in Mark 13.14; not so much (yet) with those offered for 2 Thessalonians 2.6-7. But, regardless of how we interpret these separate figures ("the abomination" and "the restrainer"), what I am interested in here and now is an explanation, if such even exists, for why we are seeing this interplay between masculine and neuter in these eschatological passages.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Re: 2 Thessalonians 2.6-7 and Mark 13.14.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

There are rather many parallels between Mark 13 and 2 Thessalonians 2 overall:
  1. In Mark there is a warning against being misled (Mark 13.5). In Paul there is a warning against being deceived (2 Thessalonians 2.3).
  2. In Mark the protagonist is the "son of man" (Mark 13.26-27). In Paul the protagonist is the Lord Jesus Christ (2 Thessalonians 2.1-2, 8).
  3. In Mark the antagonist is the "abomination of desolation" (Mark 13.14, modified by a masculine participle). In Paul the antagonist is the "man of sin/lawlessness" (2 Thessalonians 2.3-4, 9).
  4. In Mark the abomination of desolation is visible (Mark 13.14, "when you see") and indicative of the coming of the son of man (Mark 13.29, "when you see"). In Paul the man of sin/lawlessness is visible (2 Thessalonians 2.3, "revealed") and indicative of the day of the Lord (2 Thessalonians 2.3, "it will not come unless").
  5. In Mark the abomination of desolation is standing "where it ought not to be" (Mark 13.14), an allusion to the defilement of the temple under Antiochus (Daniel 9.27; 11.31; 12.11; 1 Maccabees 1.54; 6.7). In Paul the man of sin/lawlessness sits "in the temple of God" (2 Thessalonians 2.4).
  6. In Mark the abomination of desolation is "standing" (Mark 13.14). In Paul the man of sin/lawlessness "takes his seat" (2 Thessalonians 2.4). (Either posture, standing or sitting, is appropriate for someone who wishes to depict the temple being turned into a pagan shrine. Gentiles had known since Pompey that the holy of holies was empty, according to Tacitus, Histories 5.9, and Diodorus Siculus, Library 40.3.4; before that, however, rumors abounded, and in Library 34/35.1.3 Diodorus Siculus reports the rumor that Antiochus, upon entering the shrine, "found in there the image of a man with a long beard, carved in stone sitting upon an ass [καθήμενον ἐπ' ὄνου]." Josephus, on the other hand, in Antiquities 18.8.8 §301, represents Caligula as having written to Petronius, "Now, therefore, if you have already stood up my statue, let it stand [νῦν οὖν εἰ μὲν φθάνεις τὸν ἀνδριάντα ἑστακώς ἑστάτω].")
  7. In Mark there are "false Christs" and "false prophets" who would "mislead, if possible, even the elect" (Mark 13.22) by the use of "signs and wonders." In Paul the "powers and signs and false wonders" of the man of sin/lawlessness will deceive those who are perishing (2 Thessalonians 2.9-10).
  8. In Mark the one who perseveres to the end will be saved (Mark 1.13). In Paul those who are not deceived by the man of sin/lawlessness are those who will be saved (2 Thessalonians 2.10).
  9. In Mark the saved ones are called "the elect" (Mark 13.20, 22, 27). In Paul the saved ones have been "chosen by God" (2 Thessalonians 2.13).
  10. In Mark the son of man will be coming on clouds (Mark 13.26). In Paul the Lord will have an advent (2 Thessalonians 2.1, 8).
  11. In Mark the son of man "will gather together his elect from the four winds" (Mark 13.27). In Paul there is a "gathering together" unto the Lord Jesus (2 Thessalonians 2.1).
I doubt I have caught them all. For reference, here are the passages:

Mark 13.1-37:

1 And as He was going out of the temple, one of His disciples said to Him, "Teacher, behold what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!" 2 And Jesus said to him, "Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone shall be left upon another which will not be torn down." 3 And as He was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew were questioning Him privately, 4 "Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are going to be fulfilled?"

5 And Jesus began to say to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 6 Many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He!' and will mislead many. 7 And when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be frightened; those things must take place; but that is not yet the end. 8 For nation will arise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be earthquakes in various places; there will also be famines. These things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

9 But be on your guard; for they will deliver you to the courts, and you will be flogged in the synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them. 10 And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations. 11 And when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not be anxious beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit. 12 And brother will deliver brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. 13 And you will be hated by all on account of My name, but the one who endures to the end, he shall be saved.

14 But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it ought not to be — let the reader understand — then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 15 And let him who is on the housetop not go down, or enter in, to get anything out of his house; 16 and let him who is in the field not turn back to get his cloak. 17 But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babes in those days! 18 But pray that it may not happen in the winter.

19 For those days will be a time of tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of the creation which God created, until now, and never shall. 20 And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect whom He chose, He shortened the days. 21 And then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or, 'Behold, He is there,' do not believe him; 22 for false Christs and false prophets will arise, and will show signs and wonders, in order, if possible, to lead the elect astray. 23 But take heed; behold, I have told you everything in advance.

24 But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, 25 and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers that are in the heavens will be shaken. 26 And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27 And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth, to the farthest end of heaven.

28 Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender, and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. 29 Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 30 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

32 But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

33 Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time is. 34 It is like a man, away on a journey, who upon leaving his house and putting his slaves in charge, assigning to each one his task, also commanded the doorkeeper to stay on the alert. 35 Therefore, be on the alert — for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether in the evening, at midnight, at cockcrowing, or in the morning — 36 lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. 37 And what I say to you I say to all: 'Be on the alert!'"

2 Thessalonians 2.1-17:

1 Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the advent of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2 that you may not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.

3 Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness/sin is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. 5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you I was telling you these things?

6 And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he may be revealed. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 And then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His advent; 9 that is, the one whose advent is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they might believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth. 14 And it was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us. 16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace, 17 comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ