Was Philo a liar?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Was Philo a liar?

Post by Giuseppe »

Philo said that the Logos is an archangel.

In this claim, did he talk as a philosopher, as a mystic, or as a simple liar? Or as anyone of that?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
arnoldo

Re: Was Philo a liar?

Post by arnoldo »

John Lennon said the Walrus was Paul.

In this claim was he lying?

The answer may relate to the question concerning the Alexandrian school of thought which led Philo to write the following.

And the father who created the universe has given to his archangel and most ancient Logos a pre-eminent gift, to stand on the confines of both, and separate that which had been created from the Creator. And this same Logos is continually a suppliant to the immortal God on behalf of the mortal race, which is exposed to affliction and misery; and is also the ambassador, sent by the Ruler of all, to the subject race. And the Logos rejoices.... saying "And I stood in the midst, between the Lord and you" (Num. 16:48); neither being uncreated as God, nor yet created as you, but being in the midst between these two extremities, like a hostage, as it were, to both parties (Her. 205-206).
http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/philo.html

Jax

Post by Jax »

I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, ****less, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Jax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 am I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, ****less, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is.
Sounds a lot like what brave-brave Sir Tertullian did to Marcion, well after Marcion's passing.