Pagan Parallels: Achilles Heel of Christianity

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
bcedaifu

Re: Pagan Parallels: Achilles Heel of Christianity

Post by bcedaifu »

What language are you arguing אלעזר = אוסרי? Do you even know? Does it even matter to you? Or are you just happy parroting a claim you don't even understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

A sharp image of Osiris' name, i.e. his hieroglyph, is found in Zahi Hawass' lovely book (“Hidden Treasures of Ancient Egypt” National Geographic, 2004) on the frontspiece:
“Stella to the God Osiris” Sandstone, Dynasty 30, 380-343 BCE.
http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=4 ... 7AodKnsAsQ

Here is Osiris' name in hieroglyphs in another source, online:
http://isiopolis.com/2012/03/03/what-do ... isis-mean/
Osiris is the Greek version of the God’s name. In Coptic, a late form of Egyptian, He was Ousire or Ousiri. As with Isis, scholars are not completely sure how His name would have been pronounced in ancient Egyptian. 

Here's another culture, different language family, but, similar use of hieroglyphs (HanZi in PinYin, Kanji in Nippongo) to express ideas, thoughts, and names. These glyphs date back thousands of years, but, unlike the Egyptian glyphs, these are still in use, today, in both China and Japan.

Here is the single most famous novel, written in Chinese glyphs. The story takes place in ancient China, roughly the same era as the debut of Christianity. The novel itself was written a millenium later, about the time of Marco Polo's foray into the exotic land serving as origin of the Silk route. What is significant about this novel, is that the MEANING of the glyphs, representing the title, has remained constant, for many centuries, but the sound of the phonemes used to portray that meaning, has changed.

14th century Romance of the Three Kingdoms, by Luo Guanzhong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of ... e_Kingdoms

sānguó Putonghua

sampa koet Hakka
samgukji Hangug-ui
sangokushi Nippongo
tam quốc Tieng Viet

In other words, when someone on this forum challenges the concept of Osiris as a model for Lazarus or Jesus, or any other character in that bit of Greek mythology, which we today call Christianity, one must recognize that it is pointless to challenge the argument, regarding Ὄσιρις name, given that we have no idea what the sound of Ὄσιρις, written in glyph, had been, 2500 years ago.

Arguing about Hebrew, Berber, Coptic, or any other African language, to portray the Greek name, Lazarus, is simply a sidetrack, ignoring the principal claim, on this thread, i.e. that Massey's research
in the 19th century, had been adequate. In my view, Massey's work had indeed been adequate. If someone seeks to refute my contention, then let him/her argue from a perspective, contradicting my conclusion, based on analysis of the Egyptian glyphs, not Hebrew, or Coptic, or Aramaic, or any other excuse, for the fact that the forum member happens to be unfamiliar with Egyptian hieroglyphs. The Greek myth fable, which today we call “christianity”, is derived ultimately, from two primary sources of mythology, Greek and Egyptian, and, like any good cake, has been encrusted, over the ages, with a hearty dose of Jewish chocolate frosting.
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

Nice distraction. The names are different. They don't sound the same. They only share one consonant in common - the final resh. Of course I haven't heard from any of you what language you are attempting to make this work. I am sure you want to leave all your options open. You've just got to make this work! The fate of the world depends on it!
Everyone loves the happy times
stephan happy huller

Please look at this page and see what 'the God Osiris' looks like in Aramaic.

http://books.google.com/books?id=XbQ8AA ... ic&f=false

I don't even think you are aware that the name אלעזר is Hebrew. Do you see where I am going with this? You don't even know which language you are developing your theory. You want it to be 'el' + 'something like azar' = 'the god Osiris' but it doesn't work like that.

Maybe you're confused because the ayin (ע) in אלעזר sort of looks like a 'u'? It isn't a 'u.' It doesn't sound like a 'u.' And then there is the ז. How do you get the 's' sound from that? So what's left? The ר. You are basing your theory on the final letter two five letter words where only the last letter is the same? Really? This is your 'slam dunk' of a 'pagan parallel' that is 'the Achilles heel of Christianity'? Sorry if I don't join your victory parade.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Why is all this so important to you?. You are not only disagreeing – which is healthy and legitimate- but attacking the author with undesirable passion

The Romans Catholic Church has invented the original sin, the Trinity and so forth, and it has for centuries burned ‘heretics’ to impose its lies on the people of Europe. Yet you are offering your deep respect to a truculent defender of the Vatican Absolute Monarchy for the trivial reason that this person manages a blog as his contribution the wankfest !

Only the Church has the authority from God to interpret the Scriptures, and it has killed to protect that absurd claim. Sadly, you are defending slavery.
stephan happy huller

Whom are you addressing?
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

Huller’s comments here miss the point that the borrowing of the Lazarus myth from the Osiris myth was deliberate and structural, not accidental and emergent. The Lazarus story reflects a conscious effort on the part of the writers of the Fourth Gospel to place the Jesus story within the great ancient heritage of Egyptian spirituality, recognising that Christians could not speak of God without establishing some continuity with prior tradition.

The etymology has to be placed within the context of the overall story. The Egyptian source of the home of Lazarus in Bethany (the house of Ani) can be seen in reading the Pyramid Text of Ani translated at http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipt ... efault.htm Isis and Nephthys are called the two Mertae, a word like Marthas. Mary sits at the feet of Christ, as the goddess Isis sits on the throne. Martha is busy, as Nephthys is the useful goddess of the house. Lazarus comes back from the dead, like Osiris. Christ is the active divine king, like Horus, who is depicted as bringing his father Osiris back from the dead.

The function of the myth is primary. We can readily see all the characters perform corresponding functions, and there are close similarities with Egyptian myth in the names of Lazarus, Bethany and Martha. The idea that this is mere coincidence, in a context where Egypt had ruled Israel for centuries, is absurd. But those advocating a hermetic sealing of Jewish lore as advocated by the tyrant King Josiah can easily cope with absurdity.

Again, Huller provides more facile contemptible libel by calling Massey a crank. This ignorant slur is a typical piece of bigoted well-poisoning with no basis in fact. Huller’s view seems to be that Christianity emerged solely from his own Jewish religion, and that any assertion of wider influence, whether of Gilgamesh on Noah or of Osiris on Lazarus, can be given the evil eye by calling it all the work of cranks. Such evil eye argument belongs in medieval days, with orthodox Christianity.

On Huller’s stupid assertion that the Therapeuts of Alexandria emerged without pagan influence, the fact is that the Buddhist Emperor Ashoka of India sent monastic missionaries called Theruputta to Alexandria in the third century BC, and these became the basis of the Therapeuts, bringing Buddhist institutional monastic methods to the west. Christianity has deep Buddhist roots, but you would not know that if like Huller you exercised racial blinders to crankily dismiss anything outside the Jewish charmed circle.
stephan happy huller

This should be fun.
Huller’s comments here miss the point that the borrowing of the Lazarus myth from the Osiris myth was deliberate and structural, not accidental and emergent.
How do we know this? Do you have an ancient source that tells you this or did it come from the imagination of one of your group?
The Lazarus story reflects a conscious effort on the part of the writers of the Fourth Gospel
So you don't think there is any relationship with the story of Lazarus in Luke? Surely if Lazarus = Osiris then it must mean this in both texts. Or are we dealing with two Lazarus's - one who is Osiris and one who is not? Or perhaps two independent developments of Lazarus from Osiris?
to place the Jesus story within the great ancient heritage of Egyptian spirituality,
Is that the only possibility? What about the parallel story in Secret Mark that makes no apparent references to Lazarus or what you would call 'Egyptian spirituality'? Didn't Secret Mark come first?
recognising that Christians could not speak of God without establishing some continuity with prior tradition.
What other borrowings from Egypt do you see in the gospel? Is this an isolated example or are there more?
The etymology has to be placed within the context of the overall story.
Oh so you are finally going to explain how Lazarus came from Osiris.
The Egyptian source of the home of Lazarus in Bethany (the house of Ani) can be seen in reading the Pyramid Text of Ani translated at http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipt ... efault.htm Isis and Nephthys are called the two Mertae, a word like Marthas. Mary sits at the feet of Christ, as the goddess Isis sits on the throne. Martha is busy, as Nephthys is the useful goddess of the house. Lazarus comes back from the dead, like Osiris. Christ is the active divine king, like Horus, who is depicted as bringing his father Osiris back from the dead.
No, of course not. You're back to this nonsense. Still can't even attempt to explain the empty claim that that the name Lazarus is related to Osiris. No mention of what language this was accomplished. Just the usual mention of generalities about the Egyptian religion and how it is similar to the resurrection of Lazarus which 'must mean' that Lazarus = Osiris.
The function of the myth is primary. We can readily see all the characters perform corresponding functions, and there are close similarities with Egyptian myth in the names of Lazarus, Bethany and Martha.

Oh there we go. 'The similarities' of the names Lazarus, Bethany and Martha. No explanation because that's above your pay grade I guess.
The idea that this is mere coincidence,
What's a 'mere coincidence'? You haven't even made an argument. You've just said that three names are 'similar' but no mention of what they are similar to, no mention of the language etc. The usual empty nonsense.
in a context where Egypt had ruled Israel for centuries, is absurd.

So now you are arguing that 'Egypt ruled Israel for centuries' - presumably taking the Bible story at face value. But no effort is made to demonstrate Egyptianisms in Jewish culture that existed at the time of the gospel. So your point now is that the gospel 'must have had Egyptian culture references' because of a historical relationship between Egypt and Israel over a millennia earlier. Great argument.
But those advocating a hermetic sealing of Jewish lore as advocated by the tyrant King Josiah can easily cope with absurdity.
Of course you provide no evidence for these cultural borrowings that were active at the time of the gospel. No examples of a Jewish-Egyptian culture that might have produced the gospel.
Again, Huller provides more facile contemptible libel by calling Massey a crank.
I don't even think you know what the word 'libel' means. You're just trying to up the ante on your gangs usual bullshit claim that anyone who doesn't your garbage is 'lying,' 'slandering' - now it is 'libel.' Massey is ignored by serious Egyptologists.
This ignorant slur is a typical piece of bigoted well-poisoning with no basis in fact.
Please show me how Massey is relevant to contemporary Egyptology and what possible authority he has to develop arguments about Hebrew names.
Huller’s view seems to be that Christianity emerged solely from his own Jewish religion,
That doesn't follow from what I am saying. I am merely pointing out your argument has no linguistic merits. Lazarus does not equal Osiris. It is not an Achilles Heel for Christianity. It is a demonstration of your flawed approach. You have done nothing to demonstrate any change in tactic here.
and that any assertion of wider influence, whether of Gilgamesh on Noah or of Osiris on Lazarus, can be given the evil eye by calling it all the work of cranks. Such evil eye argument belongs in medieval days, with orthodox Christianity.
Oh I apologize for asking for actual evidence. None has emerged yet again in your normal bluster. Again I ask - how are any of you convinced by these stupid ideas without a shred of actual evidence. Let me guess - 'you like the ideas.' The chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream approach to truth in Biblical scholarship. 'I like the idea that paganism influenced the writing of the gospel. Can't prove it. But I like it.'
On Huller’s stupid assertion that the Therapeuts of Alexandria emerged without pagan influence,
Oh not this again. You didn't have evidence last time we debated, doubt very much any is forthcoming. More chocolate cake please ...
the fact is that the Buddhist Emperor Ashoka of India sent monastic missionaries called Theruputta to Alexandria in the third century BC, and these became the basis of the Therapeuts, bringing Buddhist institutional monastic methods to the west.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Yes a widely accepted theory for the origin of this Jewish sect mentioned favorably by Philo. Maybe Philo was a Buddhist too.
Christianity has deep Buddhist roots,
Oh my God! Not content to argue for a group of Bu-Jews (Buddhist Jews) in Alexandria, now Christianity is Buddhist too. And the evidence is ... nowhere. Yet again. Love the seriousness in this post. Just throw words and ideas on a page. Hope something will stick.
but you would not know that if like Huller you exercised racial blinders to crankily dismiss anything outside the Jewish charmed circle.
Jews just love Christians. They love Jesus. Nothing they want more than to fight on behalf of the 'Jewishness' of the gospel out of 'spite' I guess to deny the real origin of Christianity among the pagans, the Buddhists, the surfing dudes and any other group you might want to bring into the discussion.

I don't know why you can't see it - but you haven't so much as presented a single new piece of evidence to back up the original point of discussion - how Lazarus = Osiris. The same old bluster, the same old accusations, but absolutely nothing new - save for the fact that you can't even so much as muster an argument to defend this thesis. Just more distractions to avoid the inevitable. :tombstone:
Thor

Post by Thor »

Although I agree with the Lazarus-Osiris relation seems like a shot in the dark. I must admit it is my opinion, without really having some authority to back up either the one or the other possible view on subject. When stating the difficulties with claiming to know much with any certainty, I find it useful to be careful with constructing own theories after first taking the position of stating the difficulties with claiming to know much with certainty.

The discussion about authority behind arguments is kind of strange though. I am no scholar or figure of any perceived importance, but never knew that was important to the validity of argument. One might say the Pope is infallible with such appeal to authority by itself adding weight to any argument. Why not focus on arguments, instead of person presenting them?

I felt the need to comment on this little gem nonetheless.
stephan happy huller wrote: The chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream approach to truth in Biblical scholarship. 'I like the idea that paganism influenced the writing of the gospel. Can't prove it. But I like it.'
The use of the definition `paganism`with context of christian view, in reference to something before Christianity and following context, comes of as a bit strange. To say the gospels lack influence of Hellenism and Hellenistic thought is kind of far fetched, is it not? The influence of culture in the empires who dominates region, is not only logical to assume. It should be understood at the first moment the Magi is known. Their astronomical insight and interpretation of dreams, and how their prophecies are used to support claim to kingship, as king of kings. Like the earlier messiah, Cyrus the Christ, was king of kings. Although he was neither Jewish, nor a servant of the God of Israel. If in fact Marduk, or Ahura Mazda, is not actually the God of Israel? :problem:
stephan happy huller wrote:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Yes a widely accepted theory for the origin of this Jewish sect mentioned favorably by Philo. Maybe Philo was a Buddhist too.
In support of your view I bonk my head as well. :banghead: . But depending on how one is able to ignore the Gospel of Thomas as being rejected because of its distinction from other gospels. It takes as much effort to ignore `eastern`thought being present in region, as it takes to see Buddhism being origin or having to much influence as you remark.

Sorry for my interruption. The factions may duel on :popcorn:
stephan happy huller

No I don't want to continue fighting. I think fighting is silly. And I want to make clear that 'pagan' and 'paganism' was a term used at the beginning of this thread and is by definition something different than mere Hellenism. Hellenism, that is the Greek culture as such, did influence early Christianity. Pythagoras and Plato influenced the writing of the gospel. But what these people are suggesting is that Judaism and Christianity in the first century directly embraced the pagan religious practices of the greater Roman Empire. That they could walk into a pagan shrine and feel comfortable 'joining in' essentially. They claim that for instance the Therapeutae would be open to the teachings and practices of foreign religions. There is no evidence for that. Or that the gospel writer and his community embraced Egyptian religion by making Lazarus = Osiris. There is no evidence for that. There is a difference between seeing Pythagoras and Plato as influences than suggesting Jews and Christians contradicted the commandment to embrace foreign gods.

Of course to some degree of course, two people or things living in the same culture are going to be shaped by the forces within that culture. Reacting against something for instance is nevertheless an example of 'being shaped by' that thing. But what these people are always trying to promote is the idea this notion of a big 'mega truth' behind all religions. That there were Jewish sects along with first Christians 'joining in' with the idolatry around them, that for instance the gods and traditions between the Egyptian religion were compatible and transferable with the gospel and its god or gods. That everyone got along. I have yet to see any evidence for that.

And in this particular thread the claim has been made that 'pagan parallels' - hence my own use of the terminology - can be used to prove that Christianity and later Judaism directly borrowed or 'stole' from the religions of the world around them. Specific mention was made of Lazarus = Osiris. I jumped on that example because I actually used think it was an interesting idea. However upon closer examination, that particular claim doesn't hold water and I have yet to see any evidence to support that claim from these men who are so convinced by it. All of which raises the question - why are they so convinced?

When you read the actual texts of earliest Christianity you do not see any obvious examples of Christians embracing paganism outside the Naasenes described in the third century Philosophumena. This is one sect and it seems pretty isolated. There are Christian sects which accepted astrology. Celsus accuses them of specifically borrowing from Persian gnosis. That Judaism was influenced by Persian culture is unquestioned. But the Zoroastrians hated the pagan religions and associated them with the evil power. Certainly there are examples of 'love' for Homer, Plato and Pythagoras throughout the early tradition. But we have to take the claims of pagan parallels one by one and determine whether there was evidence of widespread borrowing or any borrowing at all. In this particular case there is no reason yet to embrace the idea that Lazarus = Osiris.
stephan happy huller

I think a better case can be made for Luke chapter 16's Lazarus (a story that came before John) is derived from Abraham's Eliezar who is turn identified as a heavenly being even in the Book of Genesis. Even here however I can't see how you over come some of the linguistic difficulties getting from Eliezar to Lazarus. But at least Lazarus is connected with Abraham in Luke in a parallel way to Eliezar and Abraham in Genesis.