Another clue that Gal 1:19 is interpolated

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Bernard Muller

Re: Another clue that Gal 1:19 is interpolated

Post by Bernard Muller »

Galatians 2:7-8 is most likely an interpolation: https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/barnikol.html
I can't realize why you don't make to follow the only logical conclusion from that premise: that it is decisively not probable that Peter was supplanted by James (and that therefore the entire first meeting of Gal 1 is an interpolation). It was not a democracy with free elections, afterall.
Read Galatians 2:11-14

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Giuseppe

Re: Another clue that Gal 1:19 is interpolated

Post by Giuseppe »

And so what is there in Gal 2:11-14 that confutes my point? There in Antioch Peter is the only person - among the Judaizers - who, in virtue of the his relative openness to Paul, can be considered positively by the latter, and accordingly "used" by him to advance even more strong claims against those sent by James. Sincerely, in that episode I see a strong Paul and a powerful James. But a very little (politically speaking) Peter.

And note that the point of Paul in Gal 2 is not that he has conquered Peter as his friend, but only the public humiliation of the hypocrisy of the his enemies.

Gal 1's first meeting represents an interpolation also because it doesn't add nothing about the Paul's point in Gal 2 (apart the introduction of the strange contradiction of a Peter more powerful than James): that apparently in a first moment Peter was open to Paul.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.