Another clue that Gal 1:19 is interpolated

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Another clue that Gal 1:19 is interpolated

Post by Giuseppe »

It is very strange (unexpected, not probable) the fact that James in Gal 1:19 is mentioned as the second in command compared to Peter...

...while in Gal 2, in the list of the so-called Pillars, he is mentioned before Peter (hence implying that he has more power than Peter, a fact confirmed even more so from the fact that Peter fears of being seen by the spies ''sent from James'').

So the entire first meeting in Jerusalem between Paul and Peter is an interpolation.

In other terms, only a proto-catholic editor would have interest to show Peter beyond any doubt as the leader of the Church of Jerusalem, and James as his only subaltern in power.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Another clue that Gal 1:19 is interpolated

Post by Giuseppe »

So in my view the real leader of Jerusalem is James, with Cephas being only his subaltern.

The pauline Mark shows Cephas in a slightly more positive light in comparison to the ''sons of Zebedee'' because of the his relative more historical opennes - at least before of the radicalization of the conflict - to the Paul's plan for the gentiles.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

It is natural that Acts shows Peter as the true leader in comparison to James, since for a proto-catholic the power can belong legitimately only to the Apostle who has more compromises with any side of the factions in conflict.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 pm In other terms, only a proto-catholic editor would have interest to show Peter beyond any doubt as the leader of the Church of Jerusalem, and James as his only subaltern in power.
Did this interpolation happen in the late second century? If so, wouldn't that place the autograph/original writing back to the first century/early second,no?
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 pm It is very strange (unexpected, not probable) the fact that James in Gal 1:19 is mentioned as the second in command compared to Peter...

...while in Gal 2, in the list of the so-called Pillars, he is mentioned before Peter (hence implying that he has more power than Peter, a fact confirmed even more so from the fact that Peter fears of being seen by the spies ''sent from James'').

So the entire first meeting in Jerusalem between Paul and Peter is an interpolation.

In other terms, only a proto-catholic editor would have interest to show Peter beyond any doubt as the leader of the Church of Jerusalem, and James as his only subaltern in power.
Ma dai! According to Galatians 1:18 Paul wanted to meet especially/only Cephas. Then it's logically that he mentions Cephas first.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

If Paul wanted to meet Peter especially, then the only possible reason is that in the eyes of Paul Peter was more powerful than James in terms of prestige and/or authority. But all in Gal 2 makes us think that the contrary is true.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 am If Paul wanted to meet Peter especially, then the only possible reason is that in the eyes of Paul Peter was more powerful than James in terms of prestige and/or authority. But all in Gal 2 makes us think that the contrary is true.
It could be that Peter Kirby (or Andrew Criddle or Ken Olson or Ben C. Smith or Neil Godfrey or Stephan Huller or ...) is "more powerful" and has "greater prestige and/or authority" than other members of this forum. Nevertheless there could be the wish to discuss some things especially with Giuseppe ;)

Paul can meet whomever he wished.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

According to my research, Peter became the leader of the "church" of Jerusalem in 35 CE. But progressively, he got supplanted by James. The turning point was the James' men intervention in Antioch, which I dated in 52 CE.
So when Paul staid with Peter for 2 weeks (which I dated in 38 CE), Peter was still the leader. In 52 CE, James became predominant.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Bernard Muller wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:51 pm According to my research, Peter became the leader of the "church" of Jerusalem in 35 CE. But progressively, he got supplanted by James.
I see that you agree with me that Paul in Gal 1 seems to deal with Peter as if he was indeed more powerful than James. And vice versa in Gal 2 (also in virtue of the fact that in the list of the Pillars James precedes Peter).
Given that premise (a premise not met by Kunigunde), I can't realize why you don't make to follow the only logical conclusion from that premise: that it is decisively not probable that Peter was supplanted by James (and that therefore the entire first meeting of Gal 1 is an interpolation). It was not a democracy with free elections, afterall.
hakeem

Post by hakeem »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 am If Paul wanted to meet Peter especially, then the only possible reason is that in the eyes of Paul Peter was more powerful than James in terms of prestige and/or authority. But all in Gal 2 makes us think that the contrary is true.
Galatians 2 does not at all show that the character called James was more powerful than Peter.

The author of Galatians 2 specifically claimed that Peter was commissioned to preach the gospel to the circumcision.

Galatians 2:7-8
But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter,

(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles..
In effect, in Galatians 2 the character called Peter is the supposed leader of the Church of the circumcision [Jews].

Galatians 2 is compatible with the later claim in gMatthew that one called Peter was the "ROCK' of the Church.

Matthew 16:18
CSB
And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
Galatians 2 actually confirms that the Epistle was written after the version of the Jesus story in gMark and the claim that James was the bishop of Jerusalem is a late invention.