Mark as the Marcionite shortened version of Luke?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lsayre

Mark as the Marcionite shortened version of Luke?

Post by lsayre »

If, as Tertullian implies, Marcion intentionally shortened Canonical Luke, is it possible that the presumed to be lost Marcionite short version of Luke's Gospel is not lost, but instead has, with perhaps some later redactions, become Canonical Mark?
Secret Alias

Re: Mark as the Marcionite shortened version of Luke?

Post by Secret Alias »

I think what you are saying is highly likely to be true. But the problem is developing an argument that supports a proposition that I only suspect to be true. The answer likely lies in the name 'Marcion.' But after years of trying I can't develop a plausible argument that helps edify my suspicions.

As you likely know the Philosophumena is the place to start. The Gospel of Mark = the gospel of Marcion.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
gmx

Post by gmx »

The question would be does Tertullian and co quote any Luke/Evangelion verses that have no parallel in Mark?
I saw a Naked girl ,Slowly emerge in front of me,Greek hairstyle,Very beautiful,She has a beautiful [fine] profile.; She is fine in profile. the view of profile,hard to tell.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The mythicists Rylands and Georges Ory held the opinion that proto-Mark was the original marcionite Gospel.
But the point is that also proto-Luke was the original marcionite Gospel.

The basic idea is that various portions of the same Marcionite Gospel were given to different Gospels. This explains why Luke seems sometimes older than Mark, and vice versa.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Why was the Gospel of Marcion called ''Gospel of Luke'' ?

Because it was used by Lucanus, a follower of Marcion.

But there was another Leucius/Luke:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucius_Charinus

...who was famous as an too-much evident interpolator and/or author of apocryphal acts and gospels.

So the Gospel of Marcion became confused with the Gospel of Lucanus, and then with the Gospel of Leucius (especially if Lucanus = Leucius). The name 'Luke' gave so a first bad reputation to the marcionite anonymous Gospel.

Against the bad reputation given by that ''Luke'' on that Gospel, the proto-catholic author of Acts invented another 'good' Luke in Acts 13:1:
“Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul”

The Prophecies Collected from All the Books, a Latin work originating in the African church in the early fourth century, contains a fuller reading:
“Now there were in the church prophets and teachers, Barnabas and Saul, on whom the following prophets laid their hands—Symeon who is called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene who remains to this day, and Titus his foster-brother”

“Lucius of Cyrene” in Acts 13:1 was equated by Origen (Commentary on Romans 10.39) with the Lucius of Rom 16:21 who was a “kinsman” of Paul.

So the same Gospel had both a bad and a good reputation in virtue of the same name: ''Luke''.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.