Was Josephus the First to Discover the 'Prophesy' of Vespasian's Name

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Was Josephus the First to Discover the 'Prophesy' of Vespasian's Name

Post by Secret Alias »

Was reading this - The Purpose of Mark's Gospel: An Early Christian Response to Roman Imperial Propaganda - https://books.google.com/books?id=XCPQ1 ... an&f=false
Mark, therefore, identifies Jesus not only as the Jewish Messiah but as a world ruler.9 The identity of Jesus in Mark directly opposes both Vespasian's propa- gandistic claims and his imperial identity. Mark presents Jesus as Messiah, rejecting the Flavian propaganda that Vespasian was the fulfillment of Jewish messianic prophecy. But he goes a step further by presenting Jesus as the ruler of the world and, in doing so, usurps Vespasian's claim to that position.
But is this really so?

There is something curious about the whole story when you think about it. The way Josephus tells it - the idea came into his head and then Vespasian freed him. But the elements are all borrowed from the Genesis narrative about Joseph. There are at least a dozen obvious parallels. Something doesn't seem to be right.

The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, until Shilo shall come and the obedience of the nations shall be his.

Vespasian is in Judea when this recognition supposedly happens.
But what more than all else incited them [the Jews] to war was an ambiguous oracle, likewise found in their Sacred Scriptures, to the effect that at that time one from their country would become ruler of the world. This they understood to mean someone of their own race, and many of their wise men went astray in their interpretation of it. The oracle, however, in reality signified the sovereignty of Vespasian, who was proclaimed emperor on Jewish soil. — Josephus, Jewish Wars 6:312-313 (also 3:399-403)

An old and long-standing belief had spread throughout the orient to the effect that it was fated at that time for the rulers of Judaea to hold sway over all things. This prediction — which later events showed to have referred to the Roman emperor — the Jews attributed to themselves, and rebelled. — Suetonius Vespasian 4:5 (see also Tacitus, History 5.13)
The idea that Josephus simply 'figured' this out on his own and then when Vespasian heard Josephus explain it the idea basically 'popped into his head' henceforth - 'hey, maybe I'd make a good Emperor' - is absurd. The whole storytelling effort in Josephus (our only real source) is childish in its simplicity.

There never is a real cause ever explained for the entire Jewish revolt. Again the way Josephus tells the story a series of 'disturbances' in synagogues leads Jews to rebel against the Roman state. But we've all seen these sorts of things in our own times. The Gulf of Tonkin. What was the real sign that a disturbance was afoot in the world? Clearly it was Agrippa and Berenice 'fleeing' from Jerusalem. But if you really read into Josephus he really says that Agrippa had abandoned the country - at least in Galilee - and he had to take over to restore order. I used to think that Josephus was lying. But maybe he was telling the truth. Maybe the Jews were set up.

If you accept that someone figured out that the name Vespasian = Shilo that could or likely did take place BEFORE the Jewish War. What if the Jewish War was set up to 'act out' or live out the prophecy? What if Agrippa and Berenice (who were close to the Flavians) created the situation which Vespasian would later exploit? When you think about it, just having the name = Shilo isn't enough. In order to prove that he was Shilo you need to have the conquering of the Jews. There must always have been disturbances. But Agrippa and Berenice fleeing the palace really sets up the situation for Vespasian to exploit.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: Was Josephus the First to Discover the 'Prophesy' of Vespasian's Name

Post by Secret Alias »

If you accept for a moment that Agrippa and Berenice were the first to stumble on the gematria an interesting possibility opens up . Of course this is speculative. But again - IF - Agrippa and Berenice's efforts weren't limited to the cultivation of 'pagan' miracles

https://digitalcommons.iwu.edu/cgi/view ... rs_honproj

If Agrippa and Berenice were capable of cultivating a 'future' advent of the Shilo prophecy isn't it possible that they might 'contextualize' the advent of Vespasian/Shilo with a 'proto-myth' embodied in the gospel?

Of course in itself the gospel has little to do with Vespasian (other than the possibility of Roman military mentions - 'Legion,' the centurion who is the first to recognize Jesus, the possibility that the cross was saltire and thus resembling the X legion which conquered Jerusalem.
And it was prophesied by Jacob the patriarch [2112] that there would be two advents of Christ, and that in the first He would suffer, and that after He came there would be neither prophet nor king in your nation (I proceeded), and that the nations who believed in the suffering Christ would look for His future appearance. And for this reason the Holy Spirit had uttered these truths in a parable, and obscurely: for," I added, "it is said, Judah, thy brethren have praised thee: thy hands [shall be] on the neck of thine enemies; the sons of thy father shall worship thee. Judah is a lion's whelp; from the germ, my son, thou art sprung up. Reclining, he lay down like a lion, and like [a lion's] whelp: who shall raise him up? A ruler shall not depart from Judah, or a leader from his thighs, until that which is laid up in store for him shall come; and he shall be the desire of nations, binding his foal to the vine, and the foal of his ass to the tendril of the vine. He shall wash his garments in wine, and his vesture in the blood of the grape. His eyes shall be bright with [2113] wine, and his teeth white like milk.'
Justin is the earliest clue to how the first Christians interpreted the Bible. The idea that Genesis 49 had something to do with the two advent theology that runs through his works is quite curious as we again later in the same work:
And a vast multitude in your nation are convicted of being of this kind, imbibing doctrines of bitterness and godlessness, but spurning the word of God. He speaks therefore in the passage relating to Judah: 'A prince shall not fail from Judah, nor a ruler from his thighs, till that which is laid up for him come; and He shall be the expectation of the nations.' And it is plain that this was spoken not of Judah, but of Christ. For all we out of all nations do expect not Judah, but Jesus, who led your fathers out of Egypt. For the prophecy referred even to the advent of Christ: 'Till He come for whom this is laid up, and He shall be the expectation of nations.' Jesus came, therefore, as we have shown at length, and is expected again to appear above the clouds; whose name you profane, and labour hard to get it profaned over all the earth. It were possible for me, sirs," I continued, "to contend against you about the reading which you so interpret, saying it is written, 'Till the things laid up for Him come;' though the Seventy have not so explained it, but thus, 'Till He comes for whom this is laid up.' But since what follows indicates that the reference is to Christ (for it is, 'and He shall be the expectation of nations'), I do not proceed to have a mere verbal controversy with you, as I have not attempted to establish proof about Christ from the passages of Scripture which are not admitted by you?
Nowhere does Justin say that Jesus = Shilo. Rather as he says over and over again, Jesus's death in meekness gives way to a 'second advent' not in meekness but as as a royal ruler:
"If therefore Scripture compels you to admit that two advents of Christ were predicted to take place,--one in which He would appear suffering, and dishonoured, and without comeliness; but the other in which He would come glorious. and Judge of all, as has been made manifest in many of the forecited passages,--shall we not suppose that the word of God has proclaimed that Elijah shall be the precursor of the great and terrible day, that is, of His second advent?"
Indeed if the earliest Christians held fast to the two advent doctrines of Justin, then surely Jesus dies to bring forward his 'second advent' as a royal figure. In short - he brings forward Vespasian.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Shilo = “he whose right it is” (Sept. Aquila, Symmachus, Onkelos) - https://books.google.com/books?id=LNnCD ... la&f=false
There is an argument that Shilo = Chrestos. The consistent translation of the ancients of Shilo = "He to whom it belongs, or He whose right it is." The Septuagint renders it, " Until that which is reserved for him come." Aquila and others read, " Until he comes for whom it is reserved." According to this reading, shilo would stand for shello = asherlo.

Chrêstos, although superlative in form, often only means appropriate or right, not the most appropriate. The connotation of the common use of the superlative form is to signify the right person or the right thing, when only one can be the right one. The right one is therefore the one most right. The right one is therefore superior even to Moses. This is to be the king that will be a king in the full sense, unlike David or Solomon, who were far inferior to Moses. He will be greater even than Moses.

Translate Shiloh as “the right one”. Aquila, the translation authorized by Rabbinic Judaism, is the most explicit. The Peshitta agrees. I don’t mean this is the literal etymological meaning, because that is obscure, but this is what the word was universally taken to mean in the context. Neither does the LXX disagree in translating the word as ΑΠΟΚΕΙΜΕΝΟΣ meaning “the one stored away." Neither does the translation of Targum Onkelos differ when it translate both ways, as the Anointed to whom belongs the kingship. The Palestinian Targum has the Anointed one, the last of his descendants, meaning the last descendant of Judah to hold kingship, because holding complete and everlasting kingship.

Some examples of chrestos in early Greek writers:
Plato seems to have chosen the kinds of words he uses to express this notion of being appropriate (chrestos), being fitting (epitedeios), matching (sunago), fitting together (harmotto), inter-weaving (symploké), sharing (koin6ne6;), and communion (koinonia). https://books.google.com/books?id=_OkV7 ... 22&f=false
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If Chrestos = Shilo then perhaps there is an explanation for Josephus's conflation of Daniel and Genesis: https://books.google.com/books?id=cBTSu ... ed&f=false In other words, Daniel and Genesis are referring to the same individual.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I have been straining my brain to figure out why there is such universal agreement as to 'Shilo' (or more correctly shelo) = he to whom it belongs. I think it goes back to Hebrew:

From ש־‎ (she, “which”) +‎ ל־‎ (l', “to”), thus “which [belongs] to”. First use as a possessive marker is seen in late parts of the Hebrew Bible, but then still preceded by, and in addition to, a possessive suffix (cf. Canticles 1:6; 3:7). In Mishnaic Hebrew, של־‎ (shel'-) becomes a true preposition. The standalone spelling is a more recent innovation, but the pronoun-including forms are unchanged (which may be seen both in their gemination of the ל, and in the unusual forms of the second- and third-person masculine and feminine plural pronominal suffixes, otherwise found only in the inflections of ל־‎ (l'-) and ב־‎ (b'-)).

Preposition
שֶׁל • (shel)

Of, belonging to, owned by, pertaining to.
Usage notes
Phrases headed by של are mostly analogous to English attributive noun phrases and noun phrases plus the clitic ’s. In particular, while של often means “of”, phrases headed by של can only modify noun phrases and similar syntactic entities; adverbial uses of English of must be translated with a different preposition, usually מ־‎ (mi-).
Words identical to pronoun-including forms of של often result from the straightforward composition of ש־‎ (she-, “that, which”) and ל־‎ (l'-, “to”).
In formal or archaic Hebrew, attributive uses of של are often replaced with noun compounds (in which one noun is in the construct state), and predicative uses are often replaced with simply ל־‎ (l'-).

https://books.google.com/books?id=2eT5C ... 22&f=false
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

אַל-תִּרְאוּנִי שֶׁאֲנִי שְׁחַרְחֹרֶת, שֶׁשְּׁזָפַתְנִי הַשָּׁמֶשׁ; בְּנֵי אִמִּי נִחֲרוּ-בִי, שָׂמֻנִי נֹטֵרָה אֶת-הַכְּרָמִים--כַּרְמִי שֶׁלִּי, לֹא נָטָרְתִּי

Look not upon me, that I am swarthy, that the sun hath tanned me; my mother's sons were incensed against me, they made me keeper of the vineyards; but mine own (שֶׁלִּי) vineyard have I not kept.'
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

an odd thing שלה = that which belongs TO HER
שלו = that which belongs to him

I wonder if Berenice understood the implications of this with respect to the Flavian Emperors. Could have been an inside joke between brother and sister.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 pm
But what more than all else incited them [the Jews] to war was an ambiguous oracle, likewise found in their Sacred Scriptures, to the effect that at that time one from their country would become ruler of the world. This they understood to mean someone of their own race, and many of their wise men went astray in their interpretation of it. The oracle, however, in reality signified the sovereignty of Vespasian, who was proclaimed emperor on Jewish soil. — Josephus, Jewish Wars 6:312-313 (also 3:399-403)
Where does Josephus specify that either the prophecy of Shilo or a part of a prophecy that the New Testament considers Messianic was referring to Vespasian, Secret Alias?

By mentioning the prophecy about the three and a half years and applying it to two clearly different events centuries apart - Onias' banishment and to the temple's destruction by the Romans - Josephus in numerous other passages appears to repeatedly refer to the prophecy of Daniel 9. (And as strange as it might sound, Josephus did in several places apply the same prophecy to those two different events. People usually think only about his application on Onias, but in another place he related it and the 3.5 years to the temple's destruction by Rome.) Daniel 9 says (KJV) something like:
25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
Jews in the 1st century could have seen this coming figure as a Messianic figure whom Josephus decided was really Vespasian whose Roman soldiers destroyed the temple. "Messiah" in Hebrew in the Old Testament is a term applied to other figures like Cyrus and IIRC even Nebudchadnezzar, so maybe when it says that the time until "Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks and threescore and two weeks", Josephus also related those 490 years to Vespasian.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com