Gratus and Pilate (for D. C. Hindley).

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Gratus and Pilate (for D. C. Hindley).

Post by Giuseppe »

The proto-catholics had to insist that Pilate and the Romans knew Jesus, against the marcionite Pilate who allegorized the Demiurge, notoriously ignorant about the true identity of Jesus (insofar he freed Barabbas: the First Adam).
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
maryhelena

Re: Gratus and Pilate (for D. C. Hindley).

Post by maryhelena »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 am
maryhelena wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 amThe JC crucifixion story aside, there is still a historical problem with Pilate having such a very long time in office.
Why is that a problem? I know it would be longer than any other prefect/procurator, but Josephus already praises Tiberius for having appointed only two of them, so the combined tenures of Gratus and Pilate are already probably going to be longer than the combined tenures of any other pair. And according to Tacitus, writing from the point of view of necessary Roman interventions into Judean affairs, sub Tiberio quies: so there would be little need for Tiberius to replace Judean prefects/procurators during his reign.

Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected 4 times to the US presidency, and died during that fourth term. No other president was elected even to 3 terms (and the number of terms is now restricted by law). So Roosevelt really stands out in the list of presidents. If Pilate stands out in the list of prefects/procurators, well, Josephus and Tacitus have given us some decent reasons for it, I think.
Reply moved to new thread: Pilate and Josephus
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats