Lordship in the first epistle of Clement.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Lordship in the first epistle of Clement.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

My previous posts on this topic have dealt with lordship in the epistles of Peter, of John, and of Jude, lordship in the epistle of James, lordship in the Didache, and lordship in the epistles of Paul. (For the latter, there are two posts in particular which I think best lay out the evidence: one, two; also be sure, however, to read spin's rebuttal to my points.) Also of relevance, my post on the right hand of God in Christian texts.

1 Clement is a mixed text so far as lordship is concerned; that is, the title Lord applies both to Jesus the Son and to God the Father. This mixing of titles is most evident in the following passage:

1 Clement 64.1: 1 Finally, may God, who sees all things, and who is the Ruler of all spirits and the Lord of all flesh — who chose our Lord Jesus Christ and us through Him to be a peculiar people — grant to every soul that calls upon His glorious and holy Name: faith, fear, peace, patience, long-suffering, self control, purity, and sobriety, to the well-pleasing of His Name, through our High Priest and Protector, Jesus Christ, by whom be to Him glory, and majesty, and power, and honor, both now and forevermore. Amen.

1 Clement 59.3-4 also address God in prayer, mentioning "Jesus Christ, Your beloved Son" immediately before addressing God as δέσποτα (another word for "Lord"), though perhaps the change in vocabulary blurs this example. However, in 59.4-5, after praying, "You are God alone and Jesus Christ Your Son," Clement continues the prayer by addressing God as "You, Lord" (σύ, κύριε).

By far most of the usages of this title come from quotations of the scriptures. Those instances in which the title is meant to apply specifically to Jesus all seem to be pretty clearly marked. For example:

1 Clement 42.1: 1 The apostles have preached the Gospel to us from the Lord Jesus Christ; Jesus Christ has done so from God.

1 Clement 49.5-6: 5 Love unites us to God. Love covers a multitude of sins. Love bears all things, is long-suffering in all things. There is nothing base, nothing arrogant in love. Love admits of no schisms; love gives rise to no seditions; love does all things in harmony. By love have all the elect of God been made perfect; without love nothing is well-pleasing to God. 6 In love has the Lord taken us to Himself. On account of the love he bore us, Jesus Christ our Lord gave His blood for us by the will of God; His flesh for our flesh, and His soul for our souls.

1 Clement 50.7: 7 This blessedness comes upon those who have been chosen by God through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Peter Kirby has offered a partition theory for 1 Clement, by which 22.1 to 41.2 is marked out as a lengthy interpolation. With regard for how lordship works in that section, all of my examples so far have come from outside the proposed interpolation, but we read the following, for instance, from inside it:

1 Clement 23.5-24.1: 23:5 Of a truth, soon and suddenly shall His will be accomplished, as the scripture also bears witness, saying, "Speedily will He come, and will not tarry," and, "The Lord [κύριος] shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Holy One for whom you look." 24.1 Let us consider, beloved, how the Master [δεσπότης] continually proves to us that there shall be a future resurrection, of which He has rendered the Lord Jesus Christ [τὸν κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν] the first-fruits by raising Him from the dead.

In the following passages, the term κύριος is rendered as Lord, while the term δεσπότης is rendered as Master:

1 Clement 1.1: 1 The Church of God which sojourns at Rome, to the Church of God sojourning at Corinth, to them that are called and sanctified by the will of God, through our Lord Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, from Almighty God through Jesus Christ, be multiplied. Owing, dear brethren, to the sudden and successive calamitous events which have happened to ourselves, we feel that we have been somewhat tardy in turning our attention to the points respecting which you consulted us; and especially to that shameful and detestable sedition, utterly abhorrent to the elect of God, which a few rash and self-confident persons have kindled to such a pitch of frenzy, that your venerable and illustrious name, worthy to be universally loved, has suffered grievous injury.

1 Clement 2.8: 8 Adorned by a thoroughly virtuous and religious life, ye did all things in the fear of God. The commandments and ordinances of the Lord were written upon the tablets of your hearts.

1 Clement 7.5: 5 Let us turn to every age that has passed, and learn that, from generation to generation, the Master has granted a place of repentance to all such as would be converted unto Him.

1 Clement 8.2: 2 ...and the Master of all things has himself declared with an oath regarding it: "'As I live,' saith the Lord, 'I desire not the death of the sinner, but rather his repentance; adding, moreover, this gracious declaration....'"

1 Clement 8.4: 4 And in another place He speaks thus: "Wash you, and become clean; put away the wickedness of your souls from before mine eyes; cease from your evil ways, and learn to do well; seek out judgment, deliver the oppressed, judge the fatherless, and see that justice is done to the widow; and come, and let us reason together." The Lord declares, "Though your sins be like crimson, I will make them white as snow; though they be like scarlet, I will whiten them like wool. And if ye be willing and obey Me, ye shall eat the good of the land; but if ye refuse, and will not hearken unto Me, the sword shall devour you, for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken these things."

1 Clement 9.4: 4 Noah, being found faithful, preached regeneration to the world through his ministry; and the Master saved by him the animals which, with one accord, entered into the ark.

1 Clement 11.1: 1 On account of his hospitality and godliness, Lot was saved out of Sodom when all the country round was punished by means of fire and brimstone, the Master thus making it manifest that He does not forsake those that hope in Him, but gives up such as depart from Him to punishment and torture.

1 Clement 12.5: 5 Then she said to the men, "I know assuredly that the Lord your God hath given you this city, for the fear and dread of you have fallen on its inhabitants. When therefore ye shall have taken it, keep ye me and the house of my father in safety."

1 Clement 12.7: 7 Moreover, they gave her a sign to this effect, that she should hang forth from her house a scarlet thread. And thus they made it manifest that redemption should flow through the blood of the Lord to all them that believe and hope in God.

1 Clement 13.1: 1 Let us therefore, brethren, be of humble mind, laying aside all haughtiness, and pride, and foolishness, and angry feelings; and let us act according to that which is written (for the Holy Spirit saith, "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, neither let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him that glorieth glory in the Lord, in diligently seeking Him, and doing judgment and righteousness"), being especially mindful of the words of the Lord Jesus which He spake, teaching us meekness and long-suffering.

1 Clement 15.5-6: 5 "Let the deceitful lips become silent, and let the Lord destroy all the lying lips, and the boastful tongue of those who have said, 'Let us magnify our tongue; our lips are our own; who is Lord over us?' 6 For the oppression of the poor, and for the sighing of the needy, will I now arise," saith the Lord. "I will place him in safety."

1 Clement 16.2: 2 Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Scepter of the majesty of God, did not come in the pomp of pride or arrogance, although He might have done so, but in a lowly condition, as the Holy Spirit had declared regarding Him. For He says, 3 "Lord, who hath believed our report, and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? We have declared our message in His presence: He is, as it were, a child, and like a root in thirsty ground; He has no form nor glory, yea, we saw Him, and He had no form nor comeliness; but His form was without eminence, yea, deficient in comparison with the ordinary form of men. He is a man exposed to stripes and suffering, and acquainted with the endurance of grief: for His countenance was turned away; He was despised, and not esteemed."

1 Clement 16.7: 7 "...and the Lord has delivered Him up for our sins, while He in the midst of His sufferings openeth not His mouth. He was brought as a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before her shearer is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth. In His humiliation His judgment was taken away."

1 Clement 16.10: 10 "And I will give the wicked for His sepulcher, and the rich for His death, because He did no iniquity, neither was guile found in His mouth. And the Lord is pleased to purify Him by stripes."

1 Clement 16.12: 12 "And the Lord is pleased to relieve Him of the affliction of His soul, to show Him light, and to form Him with understanding, to justify the Just One who ministereth well to many; and He Himself shall carry their sins."

1 Clement 16.16-17: 16 "All that see Me have derided Me; they have spoken with their lips; they have wagged their head, saying He hoped in the Lord, let Him deliver Him, let Him save Him, since He delighteth in Him." 17 Ye see, beloved, what is the example which has been given us; for if the Lord thus humbled Himself, what shall we do who have through Him come under the yoke of His grace?

1 Clement 18.15: 15 "...my tongue shall exult in Thy righteousness. O Lord, Thou shalt open my mouth, and my lips shall show forth Thy praise."

1 Clement 20.8: 8 The ocean, impassible to man, and the worlds beyond it, are regulated by the same enactments of the Master.

1 Clement 20.11: 11 All these the great Creator and Master of all has appointed to exist in peace and harmony; while He does good to all, but most abundantly to us who have fled for refuge to His compassions through Jesus Christ our Lord....

1 Clement 21.2: 2 For the Scripture saith in a certain place, "The Spirit of the Lord is a candle searching the secret parts of the belly."

1 Clement 21.6: 6 Let us reverence the Lord Jesus Christ, whose blood was given for us; let us esteem those who have the rule over us; let us honor the aged among us; let us train up the young men in the fear of God; let us direct our wives to that which is good.

1 Clement 22.1: 1 Now the faith which is in Christ confirms all these admonitions. For He Himself by the Holy Ghost thus addresses us: "Come, ye children, hearken unto Me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord."

1 Clement 22.6-8: 6 "The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers. The face of the Lord is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. 7 The righteous cried, and the Lord heard him, and delivered him out of all his troubles. 8 Many are the stripes appointed for the wicked; but mercy shall compass those about who hope in the Lord."

1 Clement 23.5-24.1: 23.5 Of a truth, soon and suddenly shall His will be accomplished, as the Scripture also bears witness, saying, "Speedily will He come, and will not tarry," and, "The Lord shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Holy One, for whom ye look." 24.1 Let us consider, beloved, how the Master continually proves to us that there shall be a future resurrection, of which He has rendered the Lord Jesus Christ the first-fruits by raising Him from the dead.

1 Clement 24.5: 5 The sower goes forth, and casts it into the ground; and the seed being thus scattered, though dry and naked when it fell upon the earth, is gradually dissolved. Then out of its dissolution the mighty power of the providence of the Master raises it up again, and from one seed many arise and bring forth fruit.

1 Clement 29.2-3: 2 For thus it is written, "When the Most High divided the nations, when He scattered the sons of Adam, He fixed the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God. His people Jacob became the portion of the Lord, and Israel the lot of His inheritance." 3 And in another place the Scripture saith, "Behold, the Lord taketh unto Himself a nation out of the midst of the nations, as a man takes the first-fruits of his threshing-floor; and from that nation shall come forth the Most Holy."

1 Clement 32.2: 2 For from him have sprung the priests and all the Levites who minister at the altar of God. From him also was descended our Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh. From him arose kings, princes, and rulers of the race of Judah. Nor are his other tribes in small glory, inasmuch as God had promised, "Thy seed shall be as the stars of heaven."

1 Clement 33.1-2: 1 What shall we do, then, brethren? Shall we become slothful in well-doing, and cease from the practice of love? The Master forbid that any such course should be followed by us! But rather let us hasten with all energy and readiness of mind to perform every good work. 2 For the Creator and Master of all Himself rejoices in His works.

1 Clement 33.7: 7 We see, then, how all righteous men have been adorned with good works, and how the Lord Himself, adorning Himself with His works, rejoiced.

1 Clement 34.3: 3 And thus He forewarns us: "Behold, the Lord cometh, and His reward is before His face, to render to every man according to his work."

1 Clement 34.6: 6 For the Scripture saith, "Ten thousand times ten thousand stood around Him, and thousands of thousands ministered unto Him, and cried, 'Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of Sabaoth; the whole creation is full of His glory.'"

1 Clement 34.8: 8 For the Scripture saith, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which the Lord hath prepared for them that wait for Him."

1 Clement 36.2: 2 By Him we look up to the heights of heaven. By Him we behold, as in a glass, His immaculate and most excellent visage. By Him are the eyes of our hearts opened. By Him our foolish and darkened understanding blossoms up anew towards His marvelous light. By Him the Master has willed that we should taste of immortal knowledge, who, being the brightness of His majesty, is by so much greater than the angels, as He hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

1 Clement 36.4: 4 But concerning His Son the Master spoke thus: "Thou art my Son, today have I begotten Thee. Ask of Me, and I will give Thee the heathen for Thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for Thy possession."

1 Clement 39.4: 4 "'What then? Shall a man be pure before the Lord? Or shall such an one be counted blameless in his deeds, seeing He does not confide in His servants, and has charged even His angels with perversity?'"

1 Clement 40.1: 1 These things therefore being manifest to us, and since we look into the depths of the divine knowledge, it behooves us to do all things in their proper order, which the Master has commanded us to perform at stated times.

1 Clement 40.4: 4 Those, therefore, who present their offerings at the appointed times, are accepted and blessed; for inasmuch as they follow the laws of the Master, they sin not.

1 Clement 42.1: 1 The apostles have preached the Gospel to us from the Lord Jesus Christ; Jesus Christ has done so from God.

1 Clement 42.3: 3 Having therefore received their orders, and being fully assured by the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and established in the word of God, with full assurance of the Holy Ghost, they went forth proclaiming that the kingdom of God was at hand.

1 Clement 44.1: 1 Our apostles also knew, through our Lord Jesus Christ, and there would be strife on account of the office of the episcopate.

1 Clement 46.7: 7 Why do we divide and tear to pieces the members of Christ, and raise up strife against our own body, and have reached such a height of madness as to forget that we are members one of another? Remember the words of our Lord Jesus Christ....

1 Clement 47.7: 7 And this rumor has reached not only us, but those also who are unconnected with us; so that, through your infatuation, the name of the Lord is blasphemed, while danger is also brought upon yourselves.

1 Clement 48.1-3: 1 Let us therefore, with all haste, put an end to this state of things; and let us fall down before the Master, and beseech Him with tears, that He would mercifully be reconciled to us, and restore us to our former seemly and holy practice of brotherly love. 2 For such conduct is the gate of righteousness, which is set open for the attainment of life, as it is written, "Open to me the gates of righteousness; I will go in by them, and will praise the Lord. 3 This is the gate of the Lord: the righteous shall enter in by it."

1 Clement 49.6: 6 In love has the Master taken us to Himself. On account of the love he bore us, Jesus Christ our Lord gave His blood for us by the will of God; His flesh for our flesh, and His soul for our souls.

1 Clement 50.6-7: 6 For it is written, "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will not impute to him, and in whose mouth there is no guile." 7 This blessedness cometh upon those who have been chosen by God through Jesus Christ our Lord; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Clement 52.1-2: 1 The Master, brethren, stands in need of nothing; and He desires nothing of any one, except that confession be made to Him. 2 For, says the elect David, "I will confess unto the Lord; and that will please Him more than a young bullock that hath horns and hoofs. Let the poor see it, and be glad."

1 Clement 53.2-5: 2 When Moses went up into the mount, and abode there, with fasting and humiliation, forty days and forty nights, God said unto him, "Moses, Moses, get thee down quickly from hence; for thy people whom thou didst bring out of the land of Egypt have committed iniquity. They have speedily departed from the way in which I commanded them to walk, and have made to themselves molten images." 3 And the Lord said unto him, "I have spoken to thee once and again, saying, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiff-necked people: let Me destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven; and I will make thee a great and wonderful nation, and one much more numerous than his." 4 But Moses said, "Far be it from Thee, Lord: pardon the sin of this people; else blot me also out of the book of the living." 5 O marvelous love! O insuperable perfection! The servant speaks freely to his Lord, and asks forgiveness for the people, or begs that he himself might perish along with them.

1 Clement 54.3: 3 He that acts thus shall procure to himself great glory in Christ; and every place will welcome him. For "the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof."

1 Clement 55.5-6: 5 ...and, exposing herself to danger, she went out for the love which she bare to her country and people then besieged; and the Lord delivered Holofernes into the hands of a woman. 6 Esther also, being perfect in faith, exposed herself to no less danger, in order to deliver the twelve tribes of Israel from impending destruction. For with fasting and humiliation she entreated the everlasting Master, who seeth all things; and He, perceiving the humility of her spirit, delivered the people for whose sake she had encountered peril.

1 Clement 56.3-4: 3 For thus saith the holy Word: "The Lord hath severely chastened me, yet hath not given me over to death. 4 For whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth."

1 Clement 56.6: 6 And again he saith, "Blessed is the man whom the Lord reproveth, and reject not thou the warning of the Almighty. For He causes sorrow, and again restores to gladness."

1 Clement 56.16: 16 Ye see, beloved, that protection is afforded to those that are chastened of the Master; for since the Father is good, He corrects us, that we may be admonished by His holy chastisement.

1 Clement 57.5: 5 "For it shall come to pass, that when ye call upon Me, I will not hear you; the wicked shall seek Me, and they shall not find Me. For they hated wisdom, and did not choose the fear of the Lord; nor would they listen to My counsels, but despised My reproofs."

1 Clement 58.2: 2 Receive our counsel, and ye shall be without repentance. For, as God liveth, and as the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost live — both the faith and hope of the elect, he who in lowliness of mind, with instant gentleness, and without repentance hath observed the ordinances and appointments given by God — the same shall obtain a place and name in the number of those who are being saved through Jesus Christ, through whom is glory to Him for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Clement 59.4: 4 We would have Thee, Master, to prove our help and succor. Those of us in affliction save, on the lowly take pity; the fallen raise; upon those in need arise; the sick heal; the wandering ones of Thy people turn; fill the hungry; redeem those of us in bonds; raise up those that are weak; comfort the faint-hearted; let all the nations know that Thou art God alone and Jesus Christ Thy Son, and we are Thy people and the sheep of Thy pasture.

1 Clement 60.1: 1 Thou didst make to appear the enduring fabric of the world by the works of Thy hand; Thou, Lord, didst create the earth on which we dwell — Thou, who art faithful in all generations, just in judgments, wonderful in strength and majesty, with wisdom creating and with understanding fixing the things which were made, who art good among them that are being saved and faithful among them whose trust is in Thee; O merciful and Compassionate One, forgive us our iniquities and offenses and transgressions and trespasses.

1 Clement 60.3: 3 Yea, Master, make Thy face to shine upon us for good in peace, that we may be shielded by Thy mighty hand and delivered from every sin by Three uplifted arm, and deliver us from those who hate us wrongfully.

1 Clement 61.1-2: 1 To our rulers and governors on the earth — to them Thou, Master, gavest the power of the kingdom by Thy glorious and ineffable might, to the end that we may know the glory and honor given to them by Thee and be subject to them, in nought resisting Thy will; to them, Lord, give health, peace, concord, stability, that they may exercise the authority given to them without offense. 2 For Thou, O heavenly Lord and King eternal, givest to the sons of men glory and honor and power over the things that are on the earth; do Thou, Master, direct their counsel according to that which is good and well-pleasing in Thy sight, that, devoutly in peace and meekness exercising the power given them by Thee, they may find Thee propitious.

1 Clement 64.1: 1 Finally, may God, who seeth all things, and who is the Master of all spirits and the Lord of all flesh — who chose our Lord Jesus Christ and us through Him to be a peculiar people — grant to every soul that calleth upon His glorious and holy Name, faith, fear, peace, patience, long-suffering, self-control, purity, and sobriety, to the well-pleasing of His Name, through our High Priest and Protector, Jesus Christ, by whom be to Him glory, and majesty, and power, and honor, both now and for evermore. Amen.

1 Clement 65.2: 2 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you, and with all everywhere that are the called of God through Him, by whom be to Him glory, honor, power, majesty, and eternal dominion, from everlasting to everlasting. Amen.

I think these are all the instances of Lord or Master in this epistle. For now I am mainly just laying out the passages; I may return to make further comments as needed.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ