That Sinaiticus Show

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Re: That Sinaiticus Show

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Steven Avery wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:57 pm Potty-mouth vulgarity.

From a supposed Christian.
Not an argument.

You've got nothing.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Secret Alias wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:45 pm Just curious Steve. I've come up with a lot of theories - many stupid. Does it ever cross your mind that you might be wrong? I understand it might be hard to speak candidly in front of a group of people you are obviously trying to win over to the correctness of your views. But I was wondering about what are the odds - do you think - you might be wrong? How likely to do think it might be that Sinaiticus WASN'T fabricated by Simonides? That it is exactly what it appears to be - i.e. from antiquity? What are the odds? 10 - 90? 20 - 80? Just wondering ...
Actually Sinaiticus does not appear to be from antiquity.

That is abundantly clear from pictures, videos, descriptions, the Morozov examination, and comparisons to actual ancient manuscrips. Also by textual connections. The overall condition, ink and parchment, and the colouring element, are only consistent with a modern ms.

This is before one examines the historical imperative.

Let’s clarify that key wrong assumption first.

======

Potty-mouth arguments are junque. If others see something they think is worthwhile, they are welcome to share the ponts in their own words. This is too important for the gutter approach.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Remember, I originally defended Sinaiticus authenticity, c. 2011. There is no faith-component issue involved. If Sinaiticus were a 4th-century ms., or 6th-7th century, it would have zero impact on my Bible and Christian views.

That said, I would place the probability of it as a c.1840 production, involving Simonides, as approaching 1.

99.9% would be my offhand probability, if such a number is requested.
Last edited by Steven Avery on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

1.99%?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

“approaching 1.” was the end of a sentence.

“99.9%” is the beginning of the next sentence.

(I added the line spacing above.)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Come on. That sounds suspiciously like religious certainty to anyone
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Looking at the evidences, I simply do not see any viable scenario where the ms. was ancient or where Simonides was not involved in its creation, including the movement from Athos to Sinai.

Not a religious certainty.
When I believed the evidences supported antiquity, I had no Christian difficulty in expressing that view.
(The posts from that time are available, I even gave my personal list of reasons.)

Follow the evidences.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So your argument basically comes down to - because a known forger was in hovering around in the background it's a hundred percent certain it's a forgery. I am sorry that's madness. By that logic every document at Mount Sinai is a Simonides forgery right? Think about it.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Maybe you should read the Sinaiticus material.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Evasion.