Rough Google Translation of Abu'l Fath's Report About the Commodian Persecutions

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Rough Google Translation of Abu'l Fath's Report About the Commodian Persecutions

Post by Secret Alias »

Daiber, Hans, "Der Aristoteleskommentar Alexander von Aphrodisias (2./3. Jh. N. Chr.) und der samaritanische Gelehrte Levi über die Ewigkeit der Welt,". Jerusalem Studies in Arabic and Islam, 27 (2002): 305-47

(Aus dem Geschichtsbuch tiber die vergangenen Ereignisse der Ahnen - Gott moge an ihnen Wohlgefallen haben]
(Anordnung des verstorbenen Oberhauptes Abu l-Fath as-Samiri)

Während der Zeit dieses zuvor erwähnen Oberhauptes Eleazar trat ein Mann namens Ptolemaeus Claudius auf.68 Man sagt, dass dieser Ptolemaeus der Grossvater des Jazdagird (399 – 420) gewesen sei. Dieser Ptolemaeus wohnte in einem Randgebiet Ägypten. Er unternahm grossie Anstrengungen in der Astronomie, sodass er in seinem Wissen hierum seine Vorgänger und Nachfolger übertraf. Er verfasste ein geographisches Werk, worin er die gesamte Erde erwähnte, ihren Umfang, ihre "Flüsse und Meere-'"; er schrieb das "Buch des Kanons über die Astronomie" 70, Abhandlungen, die "des Vierfaltige des Gelehrten Ptolemaeus,,71 genannt werden. Er war in jener Zeit Konig; die Dauer seiner Königsherrschaft bet rug 23 Jahre."?

During the time of this Eleazar, mentioned earlier, a man named Ptolemy Claudius https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy appeared.68 It is said that Ptolemy was the grandfather of the Yazdegerd (399-420) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazdegerd_I. This Ptolemaeus lived in a peripheral area of ​​Egypt. He made great efforts in astronomy, so that in his knowledge he surpassed his predecessors and successors. He wrote a geographical work in which he mentioned the whole earth, its extent, its "rivers and seas"; he wrote the "Book of the Canon on Astronomy," 70 treatises called "the four-fold of the scholar Ptolemy," 71. He was King at that time, and the duration of his reign was 23 years. "

68 Ca. 100-178 n. Chr. in Alexandrien.
69 VgL hierzu (und zur arabischen Uberlieferung} Art. Batlamiyus (M. Plessner] in EI2 I 1960, 1102
70 J(itiib al-Qiiniin jf 'ilm al-jalak. Vgl. dazu Seegin , GAS VI 95 (ins Arabische iibersetzt unter dem Titel Kitiib al-Qi'iniin jf'ilm an-nugum wa-bisiibiha wa-gismat agza'ihii wa·ta' ditihii.
71 aI_Arba' a magaliit aUatf tusammii murabba' at al-hokim. Batlamiyiis = Tetrabiblos.
Es handclt sich urn ein astrologisches Werk, das im 8. und 9. Jh. ins Arabische
(J( itiib al.Arba' a oder al-Arba' al-magiiliit oder al-Magiiliit al-arba' ) und unter dem
Titel Quadripartitum mehrmals ins Lateinische iibersetzt wurde: ---+ Sezgin, GAS VII
72 Hier liegt cine Vcrwechslung mit einem cler zahlreichen Konige von Agypten vor,
die seit clem 4. Jh. v. Chr. diesen Namen trugen.
73 Romischer Kaiser von 180-192, Sohn des Marcus Aurelius, welcher Ammanianus
Marcellinus zufolge eine Abneigung gegen das Judentum gehabt haben soll ---+ Emil
Schiirer, The History oj the Jewish People in the Age of Jesus Ghrist (175 B. G.-A. D.
135). A new English Version revised and edited by Geza Vermes, Gergus Millar,
Martin Goodman. III,l. Edinburgh 1986, 153. Wir haben Nachrichten von Commodus'
intolerantem Verhalten gegenuber dem Christentum, nicht aber gegenuber
anderen Dstlichen Religionen (vgl. z.8. Ernst Kornemann, Weltgeschichte des Mittelmeerraumes.
Hrsg. v. Hermann Bengtson, Munchen 1967, 657ff.). In Abu 1-
Faths Bcricht scheint Commodus cine antijudische Einstellung mit seinem Vater zu
teil~n, die dariiber hinaus verbunden erscheint mit grausamer, unberechenbarer Verhaltensweise,
die in der Geschichtsschreibung freilich nicht ausdrucklich auf die Juden
bzw. Samaritaner bezogen wird (vgl. Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall oj the
Roman Empire. I (180 A.D. - 395 A.D.), New York (0. J.). S. 74ff.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
DCHindley

Re: Rough Google Translation of Abu'l Fath's Report About the Commodian Persecutions

Post by DCHindley »

SHH,

And the point of this post is ... what?

As far as I know, Commodus was emperor in the late 2nd century CE, Claudius Ptolemy flourished in Egypt in the early to mid 2nd century CE, and Yazdegerd was a Parthian king in the late 4th century CE (and was probably the king that reigned "23" years in that Google translation above).

What are we supposed to get out of this again?

DCH

Edits: Oopsie daisy!
Last edited by DCHindley on Sun May 06, 2018 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph D. L.

Re: Rough Google Translation of Abu'l Fath's Report About the Commodian Persecutions

Post by Joseph D. L. »

As far as I know, Commodus was emperor in the late 3rd century CE...
Commodus was late second century, 180-192 ad.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:29 pm
As far as I know, Commodus was emperor in the late 3rd century CE...
Commodus was late second century, 180-192 ad.
"Correct as always." Another statement down the commode (sorry for the pun, but not ashamed).

Still, a generation apart. I think Cl. Ptolemy was ca. 100 – 170 CE. so just before Commodus. I've amended the original post accordingly. It was around midnight and I was distracted by Saturday Night Live.

DCH