Which text is it that has Papias as a heretic?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Joseph D. L.

Which text is it that has Papias as a heretic?

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Is it Hippolytus or the Philosophumena? It calls Papias a heretic who wrote (past tense) monsterous fiction.
Secret Alias

Re: Which text is it that has Papias as a heretic?

Post by Secret Alias »

No such text
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

I swear I remember reading not one month ago something that said Papias or Papyas was a heretic.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:41 pm I swear I remember reading not one month ago something that said Papias or Papyas was a heretic.
You are (probably) thinking of Vardan Vardapet (Vardan Areveltsi), Explanations of Holy Scripture, who has misread Eusebius: "That story of the adulterous woman, which the other Christians have written in their gospel, was written by a certain Papias, a disciple of John, who was declared and condemned as a heretic. Eusebius said this." In truth, Eusebius was unimpressed with Papias' chiliasm, but he never called Papias a heretic. Vardan has overreached.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

That's it! Thank you!

See. I'm not crazy...

Though I was intrigued by the idea that it was Papias who wrote that passage, because I believe that Papias was the author of the Apostolic Romances, and editor who created the Diatessaron.

Again, thank you.