The Earliest Gospel was not written by a Jew

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: The Earliest Gospel was not written by a Jew

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 pm Nonsense. My comment was that Hebrew prophets regularly chastised the entire Jewish/Israelite people after national disasters. Not one syllable of what you have written impacts that statement.
Accordingly, the Jewish Christian Matthew fits perfectly that tropos: the "entire people" against the righteous of the moment. I agree entirely with you and Ulan about it.

But what is a gentile element - and cannot be absolutely a Jewish element - in the Earliest Gospel is the idea that the same disciples of Jesus (not the "entire people" but the same disciples) are described negatively. Our Mark may be a Jewish Gospel (insofar there is a redemption of the Jewish disciples at the end) but my point remains: if the only positive channel to Jesus is the visions, revelations, hallucinations of a Paul - and not the legacy of the Jewish apostles of Jesus - then proto-Mark has to be written by a Gentile Christian.

A Jewish author couldn't have invented the idea that even the Jewish elite (!) of disciples chosen by Jesus was morally negative. This is too much against the his own interest. Whereas he could accept without embarrassment the idea that the people was in need of a divine punition, etc.

I have right to use the Criterion of Embarrassment to prove this point. Ben can't deny me this right.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:39 amA Jewish author couldn't have invented the idea that even the Jewish elite (!) of disciples chosen by Jesus was morally negative. This is too much against the his own interest. Whereas he could accept without embarrassment the idea that the people was in need of a divine punition, etc.

I have right to use the Criterion of Embarrassment to prove this point. Ben can't deny me this right.
:facepalm:
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

There is this monolithic concept of 'Jew' in Giuseppe's thought which limits them to being only 'the other' - i.e. not the Christian. He doesn't see the circularity of his point of view. It reminds me of having conversations about Palestinians with many of my Israeli friends. There's just no way of having them acknowledge the humanity or the diversity of these 'others.' It's very puzzling. But it's especially puzzling with Giuseppe as he is not locked into a conflict with Jews. It's not like he's living in Gaza writing these things.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote