'First Century Mark' Now Dated to Second/Third Centuries

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

'First Century Mark' Now Dated to Second/Third Centuries

Post by Secret Alias »

https://danielbwallace.com/2018/05/23/f ... nt-update/

Dan Wallace - "I learned that the rep knew, two weeks prior to the debate [between Dan Wallace and Bart Ehrman], that the papyrologist had changed his views."
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Re: 'First Century Mark' Now Dated to Second/Third Centuries

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Thanks for this. Nice to have what is probably the earliest extant scrap of Mark. Just not as early as reported. No huge surprise there.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

What do people make of this?
Post-Non-disclosure Agreement
Later in 2012 I did get the opportunity to see the manuscript ... What struck me about the fragment especially was that in Mark 1.17 instead of αυτοις ο Ιησους the papyrus did not have ο Ιησους. I thought at the time that, if this really was a first-century fragment (which I was not prepared, with my limited knowledge of papyrology and paleography, to claim), it most likely was due to ο Ιησους existing as a nomen sacrum already in the first century. I surmised that the exemplar that the scribe was copying from most likely read αυτοιςοις (no spacing, and Ιησους written with just the first and last letters with a supralinear bar over them). The scribe of FCM then could have easily and accidentally skipped over the duplicated οις. Alternatively, it was possible that the scribe’s exemplar did not have ο Ιησους, but this seemed far less likely. https://danielbwallace.com/2018/05/23/f ... nt-update/
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

What ever happened to the fragment found in a mummy wrapping that supposedly was also first century and was a verse from Mark?
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Finally. I'd love to know why it took this long. Anyway, it will be interesting to learn more about this in the near future.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 pm What ever happened to the fragment found in a mummy wrapping that supposedly was also first century and was a verse from Mark?
That is addressed here http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blog ... -last.html
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Peter Head Yes, Dan Wallace seems to have been used in a long con to raise the price of FCM so that it could be stolen from the Oxy collection and sold to the highest bidder.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 5h
View previous replies
Stephen C. Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson I don't know Obbink at all. Is there is any hint of such moral turpitude in his past? I've heard nothing.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 2h
Amy Sue Anderson
Amy Sue Anderson I would be very surprised. The idea does come to mind that he may have seen it as a way to raise funds for the Oxyrhynchus work, which is woefully underfunded and understaffed.
Manage
Peter Head
Peter Head I guess it is possible the conversation was the other way around - DO: have a look at this interesting piece; SC: is that for sale, what would EES take for it? I'd pay $1,000,000 as long as it is definitely first century; DO: They may be interested, but I doubt it, let me ask my bosses. ... DO: not for sale, I'll just publish it in due course.
Manage
Stephen C. Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson Peter: Plausible
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 2h · Edited
David Lincicum
David Lincicum This is after all what the collection did in early days; cf the ‘location list of papyri ‘
Manage
Peter Head
Peter Head Although Obbink has apparently been sacked by the EES.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 1h · Edited
Amy Sue Anderson
Amy Sue Anderson I didn't know that.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 1h · Edited
Eric Rowe
Eric Rowe What about the contract to publish it with Brill that supposedly existed at one point? Did that contract really exist, and was it definitely about the publication of this manuscript? If so, would it require some confusion about who owned it or was expected to gain ownership of it at that time?
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 52m
Peter Gurry
Peter Gurry He bought that castle in Waco which was a bit odd. https://www.google.com/.../article_6a0ed508-a483-575c...
Manage

Oxford scholar buys historic Cottonland Castle, distressed…
WACOTRIB.COM
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 3m
Peter Head
Peter Head "a bit odd" is normal in Oxford
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

This is the conservative equivalent of the Gospel of Jesus's Wife scandal. Not a forgery of course but similar in terms of the corruption and deceit.