Where didn't Mark preserve the Secret motif ?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Where didn't Mark preserve the Secret motif ?

Post by Giuseppe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:35 am

Martin Klatt wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 am
Giuseppe wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am
Martin Klatt wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am
Giuseppe wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am
It is curious that none of the comments above identifies Mark 15:48-50 as another point of break of the Messianic Secret in (proto-)Mark by ''Mark'' (redactor):

In my Bible these lines are missing. What are you talking about?
Ops, I mean Mark 14:48-50. Follow the link above.
14:48-50 doesn't make sense either, that's the arrest near Gethsemane scene.
I mean precisely 14:48-50. Please read this thread to make it clear in the context also of this thread.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.

Martin Klatt

Post by Martin Klatt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 am

Martin Klatt wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 am
Nearly all my contributions to any topic on this board will be in light of my hypothesis that GMark is a so called Menippean satire play from head to tail, but I will try deploying my elaborations in all seriousness, just that you know.

Jesus is now a gang leader and ready to take on the world with all kinds of confidence trickery. His first gig in the synagogue almost bungled because the stupid disciple didn't follow orders and called him by his real name. When you do public quack healings of any sort with accomplices ready to play, first rule is you don't know each other. Gotcha.
Now another pericope sort of fits in with the picture I sketched of the Jesus gang operating an exorcism scam, and is also a nice turn in order to keep the real secret :

Mark 9:
38John said to Him, “Teacher, we saw someone else driving out demons in Your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not accompany us.”
39But Jesus replied, “Do not stop him. No one who performs a miracle in My name can turn around and speak evil of Me."
40For whoever is not against us is for us.
41Indeed, if anyone gives you even a cup of water because you bear the name of Christ, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.

What is essentially said is if you meet a rival outfit using my name operating the same scam, let them because they can't rat us out if they do the same, instead join them for a drink after the rewards are in, just honour among fellow thieves. I like the satire.
What I have written, I have written........., but it ain't necessarily so.

Martin Klatt

Post by Martin Klatt » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 am

Martin Klatt wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 am
Nearly all my contributions to any topic on this board will be in light of my hypothesis that GMark is a so called Menippean satire play from head to tail, but I will try deploying my elaborations in all seriousness, just that you know.

You notice I included the preceding recruitment of the 4 first disciples, that's because the smoking gun is right there. Jesus is now a gang leader and ready to take on the world with all kinds of confidence trickery. His special method will be first driving out "unclean spirits" from his accomplices to gain the confidence of the crowds in the synagogues. His first gig in a synagogue almost bungled because the stupid disciple didn't follow orders and called him by his real name. When you do public quack healings of any sort with accomplices ready to play, first rule is you don't know each other. Gotcha.

Now the clever thing is Mark turns this theme upside down and inside out at will and does some brilliant variations, my favourite being the scene at Jesus' home town where everybody already knows him and that turns out to cause his failure there. Top notch satire.
And yes, directly after the home town scene (Mark 6:1-6) Jesus and his outfit are desperate to generate income in this unreceptive environment so Jesus decides to send his disciples out to do the job on their own, let's have a look at that next:

7Then Jesus called the Twelve to Him and began to send them out two by two, giving them authority over unclean spirits.
8He instructed them to take nothing but a staff for the journey — no bread, no bag, no money in their belts —
9and to wear sandals, but not a second tunic.
10And He told them, “When you enter a house, stay there until you leave that town."

And again the method is obvious, the disciples go out in duo's, to do the scam you need at least two. And when they find a place to stay they should stay inside and not be seen together in public. The sentences in between are extra funny, while the disciples go about like poor beggars, beggar king Jesus makes sure he doesn't have to go hungry himself while they are away doing their spiel, clever bastard. At the same time it is sound advice to dress like a prophet(a holy bum) if you aspire to play one. One part, "but not a second tunic" , needs an explanation and I think it means not to wear similar tunics, to make sure people would not suspect the two disciples as being in it together. The secrecy motive yet again meets the secrecy motif.
And jawdropping brilliant satire by Mark.
What I have written, I have written........., but it ain't necessarily so.