If anyone is new to Q and the Synoptic Problem

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
toejam

Re: If anyone is new to Q and the Synoptic Problem

Post by toejam »

Charles Wilson wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:21 pm 1. Jude77 and Ken:
Thank you very much for Posting all of this!

2. outhouse! You're not just a Lurker now are ye?
No, I'm not outhouse.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

I didn't do that did I?
I did.
Apologies all around.

CW
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

jude77 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 pm If anyone is new to the Synoptic Problem and needs an overview here is a link to an online copy of Mark Goodacre's "The Synoptic Problem: A Way Through the Maze".

https://archive.org/stream/synopticprob ... 0/mode/2up

The digitizing of the book was done by Duke University, so my assumption is it's legal. If it's not please feel free to delete the link.
Thanks for the tip. I did not know the book so far. A great book and it is written really easy to understand.
John T

Post by John T »

Thanks for the link.

I looked at the synoptic problem decades ago and concluded that the gospel of Mark was first. Since then, nothing has caused me to change my opinion.
My line of thinking goes more or less like this:

Peter needed a scribe because he could not read/write in Latin or Greek (if he could read or write at all). Mark was a trusted scribe. So, Peter granted Mark access to his correspondence letters and asked him to help formulate a response to the inquiries. I suspect that constant requests for a detailed accounting of the life and message of Jesus necessitated Peter and Mark to create a basic template that contained the answers to the most frequently asked questions. This bare bones gospel was sent out for dissemination among the faithful. Peter's gospel (gMark) circulated first from Rome and then after reading it, other respected elders added/edited their point of view for clarification/confirmation.

Making edits to the gospel was acceptable practice in the early years as long as the editor was deemed worthy. Hence why we see so many different hands penning the gospel.

As far as who was Q, I have long considered Papias of Hierapolis the mysterious Q.
Papias also conversed among some of the surviving disciples/apostles and kept a record of what they remembered about Jesus and the others. One book of Papias was called the; "Exposition of the Sayings of the Lord" and may have been responsible for the Longer Ending of Mark (Mark 16:9-19).

So, there really isn't a synoptic problem because the gospel was a faithful work in progress by inspired men.
The only way it becomes a problem is if you believe the gospel is the inerrant word from God's mouth to Mark's ear.

Sincerely,

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift