New Mythicist Evidence: Gospel of Philip 9

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: New Mythicist Evidence: Gospel of Philip 9

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Blood wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:08 pm The "Philip 9" lineation is from Internet sites only....
R. Wilson uses the same versification as Giuseppe in his 1962 translation and commentary of the gospel of Philip. His commentary follows the versification (which makes more sense than following the page and line numbers).
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:00 pm
arnoldo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:52 am Well, I disagree but that's just me.
the point is that I don't know even where and about what you are disagreeing.

Are you really denying that the Gospel of Philip 9 talks of a Christ who died also and before the same creation of the world?
No, I disagreed with the following statement you made.
Giuseppe wrote: So a similar death could be only a mythical death, not a historical one (as the death under Pilate could be).
What correlation is there between Philip 9/Rev 13:8 and the "real allegorical meaning of golgotha"? Sometimes similarities don't have any significance. For example, your username probably doesn't have any relation to Giuseppe de' Levi (Italian, Verona 1522–1611/14 Verona) who created the following artifact: Crucifix on a Golgotha Base.
Crucifix on a Golgotha Base by Giuseppe de'Levi.jpg
Crucifix on a Golgotha Base by Giuseppe de'Levi.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 12397 times
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/206875
Last edited by arnoldo on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blood

Post by Blood »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:48 pm
Blood wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:08 pm The "Philip 9" lineation is from Internet sites only....
R. Wilson uses the same versification as Giuseppe in his 1962 translation and commentary of the gospel of Philip. His commentary follows the versification (which makes more sense than following the page and line numbers).

No, he doesn't. Wilson follows Pahor Labib's plate numbering in Coptic Gnostic Papyri in the Coptic Museum at Old Cairo, Vol. 1 (1956). This system was abandoned when the ARE-UNESCO Facsmilie Editions were published by Brill in the 1970s.

Wilson's lineation for the relevant verses are 101:6-9 (page 29 of his book), meaning plate 101 of Labib rather than page 53 of Codex II. The line numbers are the same as the UNESCO edition.

Wilson's translation is as follows:

"Not only when he appeared did he lay down the soul (ψυχή) when he wished, but from the day the world came into being he laid down the soul (ψυχή)."

Wilson expresses some ambiguity about whether to translate the Greek loan word ψυχή as "soul" or "life," the latter being Isenberg's preference.

Wilson's commentary makes no reference to Revelation.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Blood wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:05 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:48 pm
No, he doesn't.
Dude, I have the text open in front of me. You must have it, too, since you got the page numbers and lineation right. But the sections/verses are clearly marked:

Dude.png
Dude.png (35.47 KiB) Viewed 12388 times
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

And his commentary follows the same sections/verses:

Come On.png
Come On.png (53.26 KiB) Viewed 12388 times

The page and line numbers are still there, but the text is chunked up by section/verse for commentary.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

arnoldo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 am No, I disagreed with the following statement you made.
Giuseppe wrote: So a similar death could be only a mythical death, not a historical one (as the death under Pilate could be).
What correlation is there between Philip 9/Rev 13:8 and the "real allegorical meaning of golgotha"?
No, it is yet (!) a misunderstanding by you. The golgotha affair is an independent argument (and an argument that is revealed even fallacious after a more accurate exam). I have learned (thanks to Ben) that Golgotha doens't derive from ROSH so: end of the discussion about the Golgotha.

But the core of the my argument is that Philip 9 confirms that the more probable original reading of Rev 13:8 is that the Lamb was killed before the creation of the world, since Philip 9 is an independent evidence of the Christian belief in two distinct deaths of Jesus, one happened ''from the day the world came into'' and another happened under Pilate. So the author of Philip 9 is harmonizing clearly two different traditions about the Christ (respectively: a mythicist tradition and a historicist tradition).

And at least I - if not you, Arnoldo - can well imagine which tradition is probably more old. :whistling:

Now, about ''the allegorical meaning of Golgotha'', it is already argued by someone that the ''skulls'' in question was the skulls of Adam, the first man. So there is at any rate a reference to the death of the heavenly Primal Man, necessary why the entire world has to be created. My argument confirms that this ''allegorical meaning of Golgotha'' is surely not a mere coincidence.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 am
arnoldo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 am No, I disagreed with the following statement you made.
What correlation is there between Philip 9/Rev 13:8 and the "real allegorical meaning of golgotha"?
No, it is yet (!) a misunderstanding by you. The golgotha affair is an independent argument (and an argument that is revealed even fallacious after a more accurate exam). I have learned (thanks to Ben) that Golgotha doens't derive from ROSH so: end of the discussion about the Golgotha.

But the core of the my argument is that Philip 9 confirms that the more probable original reading of Rev 13:8 is that the Lamb was killed before the creation of the world, since Philip 9 is an independent evidence of the Christian belief in two distinct deaths of Jesus, one happened ''from the day the world came into'' and another happened under Pilate. So the author of Philip 9 is harmonizing clearly two different traditions about the Christ (respectively: a mythicist tradition and a historicist tradition).

And at least I - if not you, Arnoldo - can well imagine which tradition is probably more old. :whistling:

Now, about ''the allegorical meaning of Golgotha'', it is already argued by someone that the ''skulls'' in question was the skulls of Adam, the first man. So there is at any rate a reference to the death of the heavenly Primal Man, necessary why the entire world has to be created. My argument confirms that this ''allegorical meaning of Golgotha'' is surely not a mere coincidence.
Plato's cave is clearly allegorical; golgotha doesn't appear to be allegorical (despite the etymology of the word) from my perspective sitting in a cave watching the shadows. Gnostics certainly may've interpreted Golgotha allegorically but this exegesis most likely came after the date Philip 9/Rev 13:8 was written IMHO.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

arnoldo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:05 am Gnostics certainly may've interpreted Golgotha allegorically but this exegesis most likely came after the date Philip 9/Rev 13:8 was written IMHO.
You can be free to think what you like about Golgotha as a literary element in a story and the possible reasons of the his presence, but it is a FACT that the more simple explanation of the presence of the same myth* behind both Philip 9/Rev 13:8 is that that same myth was there even before the date Philip 9/Rev 13:8 was written IMHO.

* because it is clearly a myth the idea that someone can be killed before the creation of the world.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:10 am
arnoldo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:05 am Gnostics certainly may've interpreted Golgotha allegorically but this exegesis most likely came after the date Philip 9/Rev 13:8 was written IMHO.
You can be free to think what you like about Golgotha as a literary element in a story and the possible reasons of the his presence, but it is a FACT that the more simple explanation of the presence of the same myth* behind both Philip 9/Rev 13:8 is that that same myth was there even before the date Philip 9/Rev 13:8 was written IMHO.

* because it is clearly a myth the idea that someone can be killed before the creation of the world.
Are you aware that Julius Caesar may've been buried at the "place of the skull"?
Thanks to Bill Sulesky for pointing out that Julius Caesar was also buried at a “place of the skull,” according to Appian, Civil Wars bk 2: “The people returned to Caesar’s bier and bore it as a consecrated thing to the Capitol.” The word capitol (Capiolium) is derived from the latin word CAPUT which means dead man’s head or SKULL. Supposedly an Etruscan king, Olus (i.e. Aulus Vulcentanus) was killed and buried there, and that the Capitoline temple and hill in Rome received its name after his skull was later found: “the head of Olus”—caput Oli—Capitolium…place of the skull. So Julius Caesar’s murdered body was also carried to the Place of the Skull.
https://jamestabor.com/locating-golgotha/

What relation can this have with the "mythical" gospel accounts?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

arnoldo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:59 pm Are you aware that Julius Caesar may've been buried at the "place of the skull"?
What relation can this have with the "mythical" gospel accounts?
please don't elude the core of my Mythicist argument (based on Philip 9/Apo 13:8) in this thread. :whistling: