a new 'Mythicist' commentary on Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Re: a new 'Mythicist' commentary on Mark

Post by DCHindley »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:30 pm
DCHindley wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:21 pmI think I figured out what the Blog was talking about. A comparison was being made between Matt 28:18 (not 10) and Dan 7:14.
The Great Commission is well nigh universally recognized as an allusion to Daniel 7.13-14...

But I, like Michael and you, am also not seeing where Matthew is using both the OG and Theodotion, either in 28.10b or in 28.16-20. Perhaps Beverly can explain what she means.
I was not aware of this scholarly recognition. To me it is not so especially striking that I would read it and immediately stand to say "Eureka!" If there is a connection, something has happened to de-politicize the kingdom talk in Daniel 7:14. In Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus is made to instruct his apostles to make disciples from all nations, not make all nations subject to an earthly king. Daniel 7:14 is like espresso coffee, and Matthew is like the pot that re-uses the original grounds. <yuk!>

DCH
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:30 pm
DCHindley wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:21 pmI think I figured out what the Blog was talking about. A comparison was being made between Matt 28:18 (not 10) and Dan 7:14.
The Great Commission is well nigh universally recognized as an allusion to Daniel 7.13-14:
In the back of my memory there was something linking Mt 28:18f to something in the Old Testament, so I must have read something about it in the past but the details were not retained.
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

I noted that others had posted here that they were interested in how Beverly would respond to our discussion above, as was I. So I sent her a private message:
Michael BG wrote:Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 am Subject: a new 'Mythicist' commentary on Mark
Beverly Devry-Smith wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 pm Hi everybody! I'd like to be so bold as invite others to
take a look at my work-in-progress commentary on the gospel of Mark
from what could be termed a mythicist point of view.
I intend only to show clearly by this work that Mark is a 'fan-fiction'
taking poetry and ideas from the Jewish scriptures in Greek translation
to forge a didactic novels in a series of vignettes ironically depicting the Jewish
God incarnate yet unrecognized. Please check out my work at
https://cleverlydevisedmyth.blogspot.com
Thank you!
Dear Beverly,

I assumed you wanted people to not only read what you have written but comment on it. I have started to do this, but you haven't responded (I see you were on this forum yesterday). Others have joined in.

Was my assumption wrong?

Best wishes
Michael
This is her reply:
Beverly Devry-Smith wrote:Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 am Sure, I appreciate feedback, and editing advice.
I just probably won't have time to respond to posts.
Just using this forum to see others ideas as I try to edit my
research into some readable form. The final product will
be far more edited than what's posted, which is merely the hypomnemata of a book.
It does not appear that she has opened my reply sent last Monday. I have therefore stopping examining what she has posted and posting here my thoughts.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Michael BG wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:16 am ... Beverly ... I sent her a private message:

This is her reply:
Beverly Devry-Smith wrote:Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 am ... I just probably won't have time to respond to posts.
Just using this forum to see others ideas ...
Stating this only in a private message, rather than stating such openly to all right up front --- that the intention is not interaction but primarily "using this forum” to glean from others --- won't engender much good will here.
Last edited by robert j on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
John T

Post by John T »

Beverly Devry-Smith wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 pm My main conclusion is that the text now called Mark is a mockery of 'Simon Peter' or whatever he is supposed to represent.
Mockery of Simon Peter? :scratch:

For what? For Peter believing that Jesus was the messiah (Mark 8:29) only to later (out of fear) deny he knew Jesus (Mark 14:71)?

Just who is behind this so-called mockery? The followers of Paul or perhaps Paul himself or even Marcion? :popcorn:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift