David Bentley Hart’s NT Translation "Recaptures the Awkward, Multivoiced Power of the Original."

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

David Bentley Hart’s NT Translation "Recaptures the Awkward, Multivoiced Power of the Original."

Post by Secret Alias »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... rt/546551/

Here’s how Monsignor Ronald Knox handled Mark 1:40–41 in his 1945 translation: “Then a leper came up to him, asking for his aid; he knelt at his feet and said, If it be thy will, thou hast power to make me clean. Jesus was moved with pity; he held out his hand and touched him, and said, It is my will; be thou made clean.” Hart’s version: “And a leper comes to him, imploring him and falling to his knees, saying to him, ‘If you wish it, you are able to cleanse me.’ And, moved inwardly with compassion, he stretched out his hand and touched him, and says to him, ‘I wish it, be clean.’ ” There’s a stumbling, almost rustically blundering urgency to this, the verb tenses tripping over one another; beside it the Knox translation feels smoothed out, falsely archaized, too rhetorical. In Hart we can hear more clearly both the leper’s challenge—heal me!—and the quickness and intimacy of Jesus’s response.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
jude77

Re: David Bentley Hart’s NT Translation "Recaptures the Awkward, Multivoiced Power of the Original."

Post by jude77 »

Love Hart or hate him, you have to admit he's brilliant and arrogantly opinionated. Personally, I love him. I checked this translation on Amazon for a preview of Mark and, from what I saw, he does a great job of capturing mark's rustic kick-you-in-the-gut style. For instance, after Jesus heals the leper in the above story, Hart translates vs. 43 as, "He (Jesus) immediately thrust (ezebalen) him out." It's much more powerful than the NIV's "Jesus sent him away", and it adds a sense of mystery to the story that the NIV loses.

I'll be getting a copy. Many thanks for the heads up.
Jax

Re: David Bentley Hart’s NT Translation "Recaptures the Awkward, Multivoiced Power of the Original."

Post by Jax »

Got a copy. I really like it!
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

How does he translate John 8:44?
Jax

Post by Jax »

lsayre wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 am How does he translate John 8:44?
"You come from a father who is the Slanderer; and you wish to do your father's wishes. That one was a killer of men from the beginning, and did not stand upon the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from what is proper to him, because he is a liar and the liar's father."
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Jax wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:00 pm "You come from a father who is the Slanderer; and you wish to do your father's wishes. That one was a killer of men from the beginning, and did not stand upon the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from what is proper to him, because he is a liar and the liar's father."
Thanks! Sounds a bit gnostic. And seeing how I like the way both April DeConik and Richard Lattimore translate this verse, I believe it to be rather accurate. I may just need to nab a copy of Hart's NT translation.

From memory here, both DeConik and Lattimore state the last part of it as: "Because he is a liar and so is his father."
iskander

Post by iskander »

Where English uses possessive adjectives ( my, your, her, etc.) Greek employs the definite article unless there is a doubt about the identity of the possessor.

Xen. Anab. 1.8.3
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ection%3D3
[3] Κῦρός τε καταπηδήσας ἀπὸ τοῦ ἅρματος τὸν θώρακα ἐνεδύετο ...
After limping down from his chariot, Cyrus put on his breastplate
iskander

Post by iskander »

lsayre wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:24 pm
Jax wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:00 pm "You come from a father who is the Slanderer; and you wish to do your father's wishes. That one was a killer of men from the beginning, and did not stand upon the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from what is proper to him, because he is a liar and the liar's father."
Thanks! Sounds a bit gnostic. And seeing how I like the way both April DeConik and Richard Lattimore translate this verse, I believe it to be rather accurate. I may just need to nab a copy of Hart's NT translation.

From memory here, both DeConik and Lattimore state the last part of it as: "Because he is a liar and so is his father."
What subject is under discussion in John 8:32-49?

attachment:
lattimore3.PNG
lattimore3.PNG (205.6 KiB) Viewed 18672 times
iskander

Post by iskander »

iskander wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:46 am
lsayre wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:24 pm

What subject is under discussion in John 8:32-49?

attachment:lattimore3.PNG
lsayre wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:24 pmFrom memory here, both DeConik and Lattimore state the last part of it as: "Because he is a liar and so is his father."
Richmond Lattimore. The New Testament.
page [578] . NOTES
John 8:45 "and so is his father." Or " and the father of it/ that is, the lie, or falsehood."
attachment,
lattimore4.PNG
lattimore4.PNG (157.76 KiB) Viewed 18553 times
iskander

Post by iskander »

Richmond Lattimore , New Testament
Mark 1:28-45
attachment,
lattimore mark.PNG
lattimore mark.PNG (113.62 KiB) Viewed 17780 times