Who'sonfirst? GMark As Separationist

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Who'sonfirst? GMark As Separationist

Post by Giuseppe »

rgprice wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 am I don't think GMark was either Separationist or Adoptionist. I think the writer of Mark knew that Jesus wasn't real and was just writing a fictional story. There was no intention of establishing doctrine.
Very thanks for the satisfactory answer! :cheers: I will think about it more.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
JoeWallack

If The Conclusion Will Not Come To RG Price...

Post by JoeWallack »

rgprice wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 am I don't think GMark was either Separationist or Adoptionist. I think the writer of Mark knew that Jesus wasn't real and was just writing a fictional story. There was no intention of establishing doctrine.

Later readers and copiers from GMark used elements of GMark's narrative to establish doctrines, but that wan't the intent of the author.

It's like asking what Tolkien's views were on the nature of Sauron.

I think the writer of GMark viewed the Jesus cult as a failure, evidenced by the outcome of the First Jewish-Roman War. The story basically mocks the Jesus movement and blames them for the war, along with other elements of Jewish society. That this story became the basis of a new religion worshiping Jesus is a supreme irony.

The scene cited by Joe above as evidence of Separationism is a literary allusion to Isaiah 11. This wasn't written because the author of Mark "was a Separationist", it was written to reference Isaiah to identify Jesus as a servant of God. This was later interpreted as "evidence of Separationism", but that's a later misunderstanding, not the original intent.
JW:
Price I am overjoyed at last to meet you face to face.
You've been getting quite a name over at Vridar's place.
"Healing cripples", "raising from the dead"?.
Now I understand Jesus is as real as God, at least that's what you've said.

I only ask things I'd ask any Skeptic star, what argument have you got
that dissolves Jesus into air?
Ooh I am waiting, yes I'm a Skeptic fan.
I'm dying (so to speak) to find out that Jesus is not any kind of man.

Just do that for me and I'll let you go free.
C'mon king of the Drews.

Joseph

The New Porphyry
JoeWallack

Who'sonfirst?

Post by JoeWallack »

The Answer Is Four?

JW:
Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 11)
Those, again, who separate Jesus from Christ, alleging that Christ remained impassible, but that it was Jesus who suffered, preferring the Gospel by Mark, if they read it with a love of truth, may have their errors rectified.
Separationist.

Joseph

The New Porphyry