Which evidence is there that Marcion expected the Parousia after the coming of the Jewish Christ?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Which evidence is there that Marcion expected the Parousia after the coming of the Jewish Christ?

Post by Giuseppe »

I would be curious about this evidence (if it is there really, because a valid alternative is that this world will be forever ruled by the demiurge, for Marcion).

Since this may give a dating of the Gospel of Marcion after the Bar Kochba's Revolt, being just him, Bar Kochba, the True Jewish Messiah of which the recent defeat, according to Marcion, would have preceded shortly the Parousia of the his Christ.
This may be the reason Marcion was moved to write his Gospel: the Good News have to be given, because the Jewish Messiah is arrived and is been defeated, ''therefore'' the Christ will return soon.

And if the Little Apocalypse of Mark 13 was in the Euangelion, then the 'abomination of desolation' would be Bar Kochba who proclaims himself Messiah in the Temple (so de facto ruling the entire world from there in the name of the his Lord), the 'abort' Messiah of the Demiurge (moving so the Judaizers to call Paul an 'abort' in the his same epistle).
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Which evidence is there that Marcion expected the Parousia after the coming of the Jewish Christ?

Post by Giuseppe »

Jerome, Against Rufinus
[3.31] ...just as that famed Barchochebas, the instigator of the Jewish uprising, kept fanning a lighted blade of straw in his mouth with puffs of breath so as to give the impression that he was spewing out flames.

Matthew 3:11 :
11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Mark 1:7 :
And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

So for Marcion, John the Baptist was prophet of the Jewish Christ, personified by Bar Kochba. He had to baptize ''with fire'. Mark would have had in mind the Matthew' incipit to ignore the reference to 'fire' and keep only the Holy Spirit, so to make John the Baptist a more pacifist figure.

But before Bar Kohba, precisely 100 years before, the Christ of a higher God came on the earth.
Giuseppe

Re: Which evidence is there that Marcion expected the Parousia after the coming of the Jewish Christ?

Post by Giuseppe »

It is also said of Bar Kochba that he killed his maternal uncle, Rabbi Elazar Hamudaʻi, after suspecting him of collaborating with the enemy, thereby forfeiting Divine protection, which led to the destruction of Betar in which Bar Kokhba himself also perished.

Curiously, Barabbas was a murderer, also.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

What book are you getting this from Giuseppe?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »