Why did they blindfold him in Mark 14:65?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Why did they blindfold him in Mark 14:65?

Post by Secret Alias »

But where would Tertullian have gotten this information? From books or experience? Is there any actual evidence for Marcionism in Carthage?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Jerome's testimony is about as close as we get and it's not without its difficulties:
At Concordia, a town in Italy, I saw an old man named Paul, who said that, when he was still a very young man, he had seen in Rome a very old man who had been secretary of blessed Cyprian and had reported to him that Cyprian was accustomed never to pass a day without reading Tertullian and would frequently say to him, "Hand me the master," meaning, of course, Tertullian. This one was a presbyter of the church until his middle year, but later, because of the envy and reproaches of the clergy of the Roman church, he had lapsed into Montanism, and he makes mention of the new prophecy in many books.
There is a debate whether Tertullian presided at Rome or Carthage based on this statement - https://books.google.com/books?id=NmNKA ... me&f=false If he was a Roman figure then it is likely he had first hand knowledge of Marcionism. But that isn't clear.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Because of his name - Quintus Septimius Florens Tertullianus - he has been identified with Irenaeus's opponent Florinus. Interestingly in modern times he is sometimes depicted as a black man (i.e. because he was 'African'). People are so stupid.

OJ or Obama the Church Father
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I find it interesting that 'OJ Tertullian' picture shows up in Google images as one entry for 'Nephilim' where among other photos it is linked to is Adolf Hitler and Queen Elizabeth https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... dP5t6Fv7-M: