When precisely the divine Christ gave the right password to the archontes/priests

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Re: When precisely the divine Christ gave the right password to the archontes/priests

Post by robert j »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 am
robert j wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 am This is the worst kind of an appeal to authority.

The author of the essay you cite here is identified as an interim Episcopal pastor.
I am aware that the quoted author is probably an apologist. But I have quoted him as evidence that Ehrman may be questioned relatively easily about the point.
To be clear, I did not criticize your appeal to authority because you cited a pastor, but primarily because the pastor did not provide arguments or evidence to support his belief, nor did he provide any names or citations or arguments or evidence from the scholars that he claimed in support of his position.
Giuseppe

Re: When precisely the divine Christ gave the right password to the archontes/priests

Post by Giuseppe »

Ehrman seems to be in contradiction when he argues that 'mocked' replaced 'abandoned' to neutralize the separationists.

Since I am interpreting just 'mocked' (!!!!) as the more separationist thing in all the Gospel of Mark!

Basilides group had denied that Christ had been crucified, as the person who had been nailed on the cross was someone else, namely Simon. God had changed the features of Simon from Cyrene, to look like Christ. Before them Carpocratians and Carinthians had had the same conviction.
Wherefore he did not himself suffer death, but Simon, a certain man of Cyrene, being compelled, bore the cross in his stead; so that this latter being transfigured by him, that he might be thought to be Jesus, was crucified, through ignorance and error, while Jesus himself received the form of Simon, and, standing by, laughed at them. For since he was an incorporeal power, and the Nous (mind) of the unborn father, he transfigured himself as he pleased, and thus ascended to him who had sent him, deriding them, inasmuch as he could not be laid hold of, and was invisible to all. Those, then, who know these things have been freed from the principalities who formed the world; so that it is not incumbent on us to confess him who was crucified, but him who came in the form of a man, and was thought to be crucified, and was called Jesus, and was sent by the Father.
(Iranaeus, Against Heresies, Chapter XXIV.-Doctrines of Saturninus and Basilides)

I would like to have the direct quote by Photius about the following point reported in internet:
Photius reports that in the book he read it was stated that Christ had not been crucified, instead of him somebody else had been on the cross. He laughed at seeing just the person that stood in his stead nailed on the cross.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.