Euhemerized Jesus Reboot

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Hawthorne

Euhemerized Jesus Reboot

Post by Hawthorne »

I would like to reboot this thread because GakuseiDon’s thread was derailed by imprecise readings of the definition of euhemerism. I do believe there is an important question to consider regarding Richard Carrier’s use of this term to describe the development of the Gospel Jesus.
Here is GakuseiDon’s orginal OP:
One thing I've seen pop up is the idea that the Gospels are "euhemerized" stories about Jesus, as part of a trend of taking celestial beings and placing them in history. Richard Carrier makes this comment in this Youtube video, around 51 mins in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUZOZN-9dc

Dr Robert M Price also makes a similar point:
http://deconversionmovement.tumblr.com/ ... t-position
"I am of the opinion that the varying dates are the residue of various attempts to anchor an originally mythic or legendary Jesus in more or less recent history. It would represent the ancient tendency toward euhemerism. In like manner, Herodotus had tried to calculate the dates of a hypothetically historical Hercules, while Plutarch sought to pin Osiris down as an ancient king of Egypt."

But as I understand it, "euhemerization" is the idea that the gods were originally mortal beings -- famous kings and heroes -- who were later thought to be gods. There are no miracles, no supernatural aspects to these euhemerized beings. So the Gospels don't appear to fit under the category of "euhemerized" stories about a god, at least as I understand the term. (That's not to say they don't fit under some other kind of category, like fiction).

Does anyone know anything that suggests the Gospels could fall under the category of "euhemerized" stories?
The problem here is that GakuseiDon correctly defines euhemerism as “the idea that the gods were originally mortal beings.” However, the discussion went from there to assuming that gods were originally human beings. Euhemerization does not occur like this:
Originally real human beings --mythologized as gods
It goes like this:
Gods rationalized as originally human beings

Thus the prime example from Euhemeros himself: Zeus is a god who must have at one time originally been a great king of Crete.
As the Wikipedia article puts it:
Euhemerism is a rationalizing method of interpretation, which treats mythological accounts as a reflection of historical events…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euhemerism
Here are some more definitions, to belabour the point, helpfully posted by maryhelena:
Euhemerism in the proper Greek sense is the belief that myth is nothing more than forgotten history, and what the Greeks enjoyed as their mythological heritage was, according to the doctrines of the fourth century B.C. Sicilian philosopher Euhemeros, just remote Greek history imperfectly remembered.
Kung Kung and the Flood: Reverse Euhemerism in the Yao Tien.
William G Boltz
One theory claims that myths are distorted accounts of real historical events.[23][24] According to this theory, storytellers repeatedly elaborated upon historical accounts until the figures in those accounts gained the status of gods.[23][24] For example, one might argue that the myth of the wind-god Aeolus evolved from a historical account of a king who taught his people to use sails and interpret the winds.
So, as asked maryhelena, was the god Aeolus really originally a human being? Or was the god Aeolus rationalized as originally a human being?
Confusion on this point has caused some readers (including myself, at first) to think that Carrier has misapplied this definition (maybe he has) and that what he is describing is “reverse” euhemerization. I do not think so. Carrier means exactly what the definition says:
Early Christians turned the mythical “Jesus” figure into a historical character, just as Euhemeros turned the mythical Zeus into the historical king of Crete.
So if we rely on this definition, does the record support Carrier’s contention?
My feeling is no. I do not get the sense that the Gospel writers, who from my view used various sources like the LXX and Josephus to create their stories, felt they were excavating pre-myth history. I think there are better explanations for how Paul’s revelatory Jesus became transfigured into Jesus of Nazareth in the Gospels.
I would like to see this discussion go on from this point. I mean, if we want to keep going on the exact definition of euhemerization, that’s fine, but there’s a thread for that already. I am more interested GakuseiDon’s original question.
beowulf

Re: Euhemerized Jesus Reboot

Post by beowulf »

[
Early Christians turned the mythical “Jesus” figure into a historical character, just as Euhemeros turned the mythical Zeus into the historical king of Crete.

I take it to be a question and the answer is: au contraire mon ami
Late foreign Christians [but not the local population of Judea] made a human into a god-like creature and finally raised him to the Olympus.

Deification was a Greco-roman bad habit and if little Julius Cesar was made a god –only god knows why- , then the conqueror of a new kingdom beyond the grave deserved at least that much.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Hawthorne, thanks for rebooting the thread. I'd been reading your exchanges with maryhelena, but didn't get involved since the topic had moved away from my OP.
Hawthorne wrote:The problem here is that GakuseiDon correctly defines euhemerism as “the idea that the gods were originally mortal beings.” However, the discussion went from there to assuming that gods were originally human beings. Euhemerization does not occur like this:
Originally real human beings --mythologized as gods
It goes like this:
Gods rationalized as originally human beings

Thus the prime example from Euhemeros himself: Zeus is a god who must have at one time originally been a great king of Crete.
Yes, that's correct. The thing to keep in mind here is that I was talking about "Euhemerism" is an approach that people had in ancient times. I'm not talking about approaches scholars have in modern times, which may or may not be classed as "Euhemerism".

So how did they approach it in ancient times? They looked at their myths and rationalized them as stories about kings and heroes who had just been mortal men, but because of their great deeds, those men were later thought divine, and thus additional mythological stories were added to the narratives handed down.

(Just to be clear: Whether that actually happened or not -- that is, whether the ancient kings and heroes really existed as a basis for the stories -- isn't important to my point. Euhemerism is about how the people in ancient times saw it. So I wasn't trying to use it as an explanation for ancient myths, which I suspect you thought I was doing.)

The key point is that Euhemerism wasn't about taking the story of a god and then creating a narrative about a demi-god or supernatural person acting in history. It was looking at the myths and determining that they were just about a mortal person. That's why I think Carrier is wrong to class the Gospels as a type of Euhemerization. It simply doesn't fit the pattern. However, there may be a subtype of Euhemerization that I'm not aware of. So in the OP I asked whether anyone was aware of Euhemerization that resulted in the myths of the god being about the god acting in history as basically a demi-god.

A better fit for the Gospels to me would be in a category with stories like Euripides' "The Bacchae", where Dionysus comes down in human form and interacts with historical kings as an actual god. But I'm not aware of anyone who considers that an example of Euhemerization.

An example of Euhemerization at work is Tacitus' views on the origins of the Jews:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... citus.html
  • Some say that the Jews were fugitives from the island of Crete, who settled on the nearest coast of Africa about the time when Saturn was driven from his throne by the power of Jupiter. Evidence of this is sought in the name. There is a famous mountain in Crete called Ida; the neighboring tribe, the Idaei, came to be called Judaei by a barbarous lengthening of the national name. Others assert that in the reign of Isis the overflowing population of Egypt, led by Hierosolymus and Judas, discharged itself into the neighboring countries...

The people, who had been collected after diligent search, finding themselves left in a desert, sat for the most part in a stupor of grief, till one of the exiles, Moses by name, warned them not to look for any relief from God or man, forsaken as they were of both, but to trust to themselves, taking for their heaven-sent leader that man who should first help them to be quit of their present misery. They agreed, and in utter ignorance began to advance at random. Nothing, however, distressed them so much as the scarcity of water, and they had sunk ready to perish in all directions over the plain, when a herd of wild asses was seen to retire from their pasture to a rock shaded by trees. Moses followed them, and, guided by the appearance of a grassy spot, discovered an abundant spring of water. This furnished relief. After a continuous journey for six days, on the seventh they possessed themselves of a country, from which they expelled the inhabitants, and in which they founded a city and a temple.

Moses, wishing to secure for the future his authority over the nation, gave them a novel form of worship, opposed to all that is practiced by other men. Things sacred with us, with them have no sanctity, while they allow what with us is forbidden...
There is nothing supernatural about any of this, with all events -- including the reigns of Jupiter, Saturn and Isis -- taking place apparently in history.

** I hate spelling the words "Euhemerism" and "Euhemerization"! I almost always need to double-check when using them, and then get them wrong anyway. I might just refer to it as "E" in this thread.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne »

GakuseiDon wrote: The key point is that Euhemerism wasn't about taking the story of a god and then creating a narrative about a demi-god or supernatural person acting in history. It was looking at the myths and determining that they were just about a mortal person. That's why I think Carrier is wrong to class the Gospels as a type of Euhemerization. It simply doesn't fit the pattern
This is my sense as well. We'll have to wait for Carrier's book for his full argument I think, but I agree with you here.

Now we need someone to defend the view, though. :problem:
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

I think it is worth pointing out, again, that Euhemerus' account, which reaches us 3rd hand via Eusebius,
"may have taken the form of a philosophical fictionalized travelogue, universally accepted today as a philosophical Romance, incorporating imagined archaic inscriptions, which his literary persona claimed to have found during his travels. Euhemerus[' literary persona] claims to have traveled to a group of islands in the waters off Arabia. One of these, Panchaea, is home to a utopian society made up of a number of different ethnic tribes. His [i.e., Euhemerus'] critique of tradition is epitomized in a register of the births and deaths of many of the gods, which his narrator persona discovered inscribed on a golden pillar in a temple of Zeus Triphylius on the invented island of Panchaea;[11] he claimed to have reached the island on a voyage down the Red Sea round the coast of Arabia, undertaken at the request of Cassander, according to the Christian historian of the fourth century AD, Eusebius."
The entire fiction of the "birth register" that includes the names of many Greek gods, which the Wiki editor calls Euhemerus' "critique of tradition," is basically a literary/rhetorical composition written to produce an effect on the reader/hearer of the story. In other words, it is there for its shock/entertainment value, not because Euhemerus actually saw this register, or even seriously considered it a possibility.

Or are we to start thinking that, based on The Metamorphoses of Apuleius, Lucius was historically transformed into an ass and back? Folks, please refrain from comparing Lucius to real people we know who have, from time to time, acted like an ass. This would be like validating Euhemerus' story by pointing out that folks we personally know have also claimed to have seen shocking/entertaining things written in out of the way places like toilet stalls.
Hawthorne wrote:Thus the prime example from Euhemeros himself: Zeus is a god who must have at one time originally been a great king of Crete.
This, of course, does not prevent scholars and commentators from using Euhemerus' name when giving a catchy label for any particular hypothesis about the alleged historicity of humanoid characters featured in myths. But it does prevent them from legitimately claiming Euhemerus as the first author of their particular hypothesis.

DCH
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

DCHindley, thanks for your comments. But I'm not sure how they interact with the OP topic, i.e. whether the Gospels fall into the category of "Euhemerized" stories about a god. What is your view on that?
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

GakuseiDon wrote:DCHindley, thanks for your comments. But I'm not sure how they interact with the OP topic, i.e. whether the Gospels fall into the category of "Euhemerized" stories about a god. What is your view on that?
It just seemed to be necessary to define terms. In short, "euhemerism" is a modern construct that can mean BOTH the historicizing of a mythical figure AS WELL AS building of myth around a historical person, depending on who you consult.

IMHO, the three synoptic Gospels were written to "explain" the notoriety of the alleged founder of the Christian sect of the authors' day. Critics of the Christian sect of the gospel authors' day had their conceptions, probably negative, about the alleged founder if the sect, and the Christian authors felt compelled to offer an apology to explain how these negative conceptions were in error. Determining what these criticisms were can only be inferred from the explanations offered.

While intentional deception on their part (creating a fictional man and setting him in a plausible historical setting) is possible, I do not think it is as likely as rationalizations on their part to "explain away" the "misconceptions" of critics. The authors of the synoptic gospels do not appear to be reacting to charges that Christians make use of myths that the critics find weird or dangerous to morals, etc. They seem to be reacting to charges that Jesus was crucified as an unauthorized pretender to the kingship over the Judean people. This is explained (away) as due to the jealously of the Judean authorities over Jesus' enormous popularity among the Judean common people. The Judean authorities set him up to appear to the Romans as a rebel against their authority, who they executed.

This reflects the situation after the Judean War, where the Judean temple and aristocracy were utterly destroyed, which Josephus explained (away) as the result of internal conflicts among various Judean authorities. The irony being implied is that Jesus Christ, rather than being destroyed by the Judean aristocracy, triumphed over them by instituting a far better atoning sacrifice than they could effect themselves as high priests. Unstated or understated assumptions, such as the value of Jesus' death as an atoning sacrifice better than the annual ones made by the Jewish high priest, are part and parcel of the rhetorical device known as an enthymeme.

DCH
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

DCHindley wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote:DCHindley, thanks for your comments. But I'm not sure how they interact with the OP topic, i.e. whether the Gospels fall into the category of "Euhemerized" stories about a god. What is your view on that?
It just seemed to be necessary to define terms. In short, "euhemerism" is a modern construct that can mean BOTH the historicizing of a mythical figure AS WELL AS building of myth around a historical person, depending on who you consult.
David, can you provide an academic article, or book, that supports your definition of "euhemerism". i.e. that "euhemerism" is a modern construct that can mean......the historicizing of a mythical figure".

With a double click on your "euhemerism" I get the Wikipedia definition:
euhemerism
Euhemerism is a rationalizing method of interpretation, which treats mythological accounts as a reflection of historical events, or mythological characters as historical personages but which were shaped, exaggerated or altered by retelling and traditional mores.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/euhemerism

eu·he·mer·ism noun \yü-ˈhē-mə-ˌri-zəm, -ˈhe-mə-\

Definition of EUHEMERISM

: interpretation of myths as traditional accounts of historical persons and events
— eu·he·mer·ist noun
— eu·he·mer·is·tic adjective
Origin of EUHEMERISM

Euhemerus, 4th century b.c. Greek mythographer
First Known Use: 1846
euhemerism noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Attempt to find a historical basis for mythical beings and events. It takes its name from Euhemerus (fl. 300 BC), a Greek scholar who examined popular mythology in his Sacred History and asserted that the gods originated as heroes or conquerors who were admired and later deified. Though modern scholars do not accept euhemerism as the sole explanation for the origin of gods, it is thought to be valid in some cases.

Wikipedia on Mythology says:
Euhemerism

One theory claims that myths are distorted accounts of real historical events. According to this theory, storytellers repeatedly elaborated upon historical accounts until the figures in those accounts gained the status of gods.

Pre-modern theories

The critical interpretation of myth goes back as far as the Presocratics. Euhemerus was one of the most important pre-modern mythologists. He interpreted myths as accounts of actual historical events, distorted over many retellings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology# ... n_theories
Whether Euhemerus was right or wrong regarding any specific xyz god does not change the fundamental premise of his argument. i.e. that history was relevant to the creation of the myths. And that is an argument that has not been invalidated.

Now, if one wants to turn euhemerism on it's head - by asserting that turning gods into pseudo-historical figures is euhemerism - methinks that Euhemerus would be turning in his grave....To label something euhemerism requires that it involve a historical component. Whether that historical component is factual or believed to be factual. Carrier's usage is altogether different. He does not support a historical component for his theory of euhemerism - he supports a pseudo-historical component. Something that the fundamental premise of euhemerism does not support. Euhemerus held that mythology can have a historical component - that he was right or wrong on specific gods does not change his mythological premise. To maintain that euhemerism supports pseudo-history is to run contrary to the whole thrust of the argument of Euhemerus.

Turn gods into pseudo-historical figures by all means - but label it for what it is - a historicizing process not an euhemerising process. Or at least be upfront and call ones historicizing of the gods as 'reverse euhemerism' - and take whatever flack one will get for using this 'reverse euhemerism' in connection with the mythological content of the NT story. ;)
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

maryhelena wrote:
DCHindley wrote:
David, can you provide an academic article, or book, that supports your definition of "euhemerism". i.e. that "euhemerism" is a modern construct that can mean......the historicizing of a mythical figure".
It doesn't matter one tiny bit how Wiki idiot editors or Merriam-Webster's trained editors define it as, as these definitions are modern constructions that use Euhemerus' story to "prove" their theories of the development of myth from history or history from myth. Euhemerus did not say that Zeus was born on the island in his story, only had a frictional character in a story of fiction say he saw it on a fictional island, as part of a plot device.

(Hersman, Anne Bates) Studies in Greek Allegorical Interpretation (PhD diss, U of Chicago, 1906)
https://ia700307.us.archive.org/11/item ... ucmf_2.pdf
[7] In their moral and mental development the Greeks came to a point when their traditional religion and history no longer satisfied them. They must either renounce or modify their beliefs. Xenophanes boldly pronounced Homer and Hesiod immoral and unworthy of belief. Pindar rejected particular stories that offended his ideas of the gods. Others still maintained the truth of the myths, but conceived some hidden meaning intended by the original makers. They seem sometimes to have thought that the meaning was not intentionally obscured, but had been later misunderstood(4); ...

7n4) This was the teaching of Euhemerus; and Plutarch considered it possible in some cases, see below p. 26, 35 foil.; although he rejected Euhemerism.

[15] ... Euhemerus is hardly an allegorist, yet he had the same purpose as Democritus and Prodicus had and the same spirit as any atheistic allegorist. He claimed to have found in his travels records of great and good kings and leaders of men, who came to be regarded as superhuman. They had the names of Greek divinities. Hence arose religion.(60)

The chief followers of Euhemerus were Palaephatus, and Polybius, and especially Diodorus. Occasional Euhemerisms are found in authors who are not at all Euhemerists. The scholium on Apollonius Rhodius Argonautica II. 1248, gives several allegoristic and Euhemeristic explanations of the Prometheus myth which are assigned to Agroetas, Theophrastus and Herodorus. Hecataeus also made Cerberus a poisonous snake, and Geryon a king. ...

15n60) Eusebius Praep. Evang. II. 2 § 55 foll. Sextus Math. 9, 17, 34, 51. Plut. de Is. 359 D to, 360 D. See Euhemeri Reliquae, collected by Geyza Nemethy. Cicero ascribed this doctrine to the Stoics, see below p. 21. Wellman Aegyptisches Hermes 31, p. 232, says that Euhemerus, who was a friend of Cassander, developed his historical theory to make the apotheosis of the kings who followed Alexander more acceptable to Greek understanding. According to Gruppe, however, Euhemerus was a delicate humorist, misunderstood by both adherents and opponents, who took as serious myth-making his playful irony upon the Diadochi. ([Gruppe, Gr. Culte u. Mythen] I 16 foll; a history of Euhemerism.) There does not seem to be enough ancient testimony on the subject to support either view. Euhemerus seems to have given the promulgators of religious doctrine the same purpose that Critias assigned to them, namely, to obtain the obedience of the masses (cf. above p. 13.) For Sextus Math. 9. 17 says that according to Euhemerus the powerful men of ancient times, in order that they might increase fear and obedience, persuaded their subjects to worship them as gods. Of course the parallel ends with the purpose. Saintsbury seems to misuse Euhemerism when in Hist, of Crit. I. 187 he calls Tzetzes's physical allegorizing "a cheap pseudo-scientific Euhemerism."

[21] ... The Stoics accepted all the unliteral explanations of the popular religion that had found favor with their predecessors; how much of this eclecticism, however, was in use among the older Stoics, it is, of course, impossible to determine ; but Persaeus said that men of signal benefit to their race had come to be called gods, thus showing himself a follower of Euhemerus.
A kind of Romantic notion of Euhemerism, in which his story is taken as his endorsement of the idea that gods are great men who were legendized, comes from:

(Spence, Lewis) An Introduction to Mythology (1921)
https://ia700500.us.archive.org/7/items ... 110976.pdf
[42] EUHEMERUS

The system of Euhemerus (fourth century B.C.), who lived under King Cassander of Macedonia, deserves more than passing mention. Like Ephorus, he considered that myth is history in disguise. The gods were men, and mists of time and later phantasy had so magnified and distorted their figures as to make them appear divine. In short, they were great men deified by later generations. The dead are magnified into gods in many countries, so Euhemerus' theory possesses a good deal of truth, but every god was not once a man, nor have all gods been evolved from the worship of the dead. The truth is that the myths of many gods have passed through a phase and have been coloured by an environment in which ancestor-worship has prevailed. Graves of gods are shown in many lands, and probably portions of legends relating to real men have been attracted into the myths of certain gods. Euhemerus' system of interpretation is known as 'euhemerism,' and was adopted by Vossius, the Abbe Banier, Huet Bishop of Avranches, Clavier, Sainte-Croix, Rochette, Hoffman, and to some extent by Herbert Spencer. Ennius popularized his [43] system in ancient Rome. Leclerc, one of Euhemerus' later disciples, actually proposed the theory that Greek mythology consisted of the diaries of old merchantmen and seamen!

Some Stoics and Platonists, such as Plutarch, endeavoured to render myths more intelligible by explaining them ' pragmatically,' and this system too saw in the gods of Greece kings or merely men. Another system, the 'Psychic,' believed myth to be explanatory of the various stages through which the soul must pass. Other Stoics, again, saw in myths reference to natural phenomena. Thus the first school, the 'Pragmatic,' would see in the figure of Pallas Athene a transfigured mortal queen; the second, the 'Psychic,' would explain her as the 'understanding,' and the third, the 'Stoic,' as the thicker air between moon and earth.

Driven to the wall by Christianity, the remaining believers in Greek myth attempted to justify it by the allegorical system of interpretation. The early Christian fathers like St Augustine (A.D. 354-430) applauded the system of Euhemerus, in which they beheld the abhorred mythology abandoned by one himself a pagan. Porphyry (A.D. 233-304), however, considered that there might be a moral meaning in myth, and others thought it possible that it concealed a germ of religious truth.
I just prefer not to get all soft and romantic when I evaluate the impact of this or that writer on the interpretation of history or myth, that is all.

A source which unambiguously states that Euhemerism is a modern construct, see

William Harris, Prof. Em. Middlebury College, EUHEMERISM: The Greek Myths

http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris ... eface.html
The germ of the idea behind the present study goes back to Euhemerus, a writer on mythology who flourished about 300 B.C. at the court of Cassander, the king of Macedonia. Very little is known about his life, even the place of his birth is disputed, the date of his death is unknown, and there are no personal particulars to give us a better idea of the man. He is known chiefly as the author of a book called The Sacred History, which purports to be based on inscriptional material found on the island of Panchaea while traveling around the coast of Arabia Felix. These inscriptions have never been taken to be any more real than the imaginary island of Panchaea, but the Sacred History also outlines the theory for which Euhemerus' name is famous. Euhemeros seems to have picked up some parts of his theory of interpretation from eastern sources which he heard of on his travels, but some parts of his theory may come from Greek sources, or even from his own imagination.

This study proceeds with an analysis of the Greek myths partly analogous to Euhemeros' outline. His scant material has been collected by Nemethy (Euhemeri Reliquiae, Budapest 1889), as a source of what later became the Euhemeristic school of interpretation of the Greek myths.
Hiho

DCH
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

The Sacred History of Euhemerus is recounted, second hand from Diodorus Siclus (ca 30-60 BCE), in Eusebius' Praeparatio evangelica:
[6.1.1] The foregoing [story of Atlantis] is told by Diodorus in the Third Book of his history [Bibliotheca historica (Βιβλιοθήκη ἱστορική, "Historical Library"]. And the same writer, in the sixth Book as well, confirms the same view regarding the gods, drawing from the writing of Euhemerus of Messenê, and using the following words:

[6.1.2] “As regards the gods, then, men of ancient times have handed down to later generations two different conceptions: Certain of the gods, they say, are eternal and imperishable, such as the sun and the moon and the other stars of the heavens, and the winds as well and whatever else possesses a nature similar to theirs; for of each of these the genesis and duration are from everlasting to everlasting. But the other gods, we are told, were terrestrial beings who attained to immortal honour and fame because of their benefactions to mankind, such as Heracles, Dionysus, Aristaeus, and the others who were like them.

[6.1.3] “Regarding these terrestrial gods many and varying accounts have been handed down by the writers of history and of mythology; of the historians, Euhemerus, who composed the Sacred History, has written a special treatise about them, while, of the writers of myths, Homer and Hesiod and Orpheus and the others of their kind have invented rather monstrous stories about the gods. But for our part, we shall endeavour to run over briefly the accounts which both groups of writers have given, aiming at due proportion in our exposition.

[6.1.4] “Now Euhemerus, who was a friend of King Cassander [of Macedon, 301-297 BCE] and was required by him to perform certain affairs of state and to make great journeys abroad, says that he travelled southward as far as the ocean; for setting sail from Arabia the Blest he voyaged through the ocean for a considerable number of days and was carried to the shore of some islands in the sea, one of which bore the name of Panchaea. On this island he saw the Panchaeans who dwell there, who excel in piety and honour the gods with the most magnificent sacrifices and with remarkable votive offerings of silver and god.

[6.1.5] “The island is sacred to the gods, and there are a number of other objects on it which are admired both for their antiquity and for the great skill of their workmanship, regarding which severally we have written in the preceding Books.

[6.1.6] “There is also on the island, situated upon an exceedingly high hill, a sanctuary of Zeus Triphylius, which was established by him during the time when he was king of all the inhabited world and was still in the company of men.

[6.1.7] “And in this temple there is a stele of gold on which is inscribed in summary, in the writing employed by the Panchaeans, the deeds of Uranus and Cronus and Zeus.

[6.1.8] “Euhemerus goes on to say that Uranus was the first to be king, that he was an honourable man and beneficent, who was versed in the movement of the stars, and that he was also the first to honour the gods of the heavens with sacrifices, whence he was called Uranus or “Heaven.”

[6.1.9] “There were born to him by his wife Hestia two sons, Titan and Cronus, and two daughters, Rhea and Demeter. Cronus became king after Uranus, and marrying Rhea he begat Zeus and Hera and Poseidon. And Zeus on succeeding to the kingship, married Hera and Demeter and Themis, and by them he had children, the Curetes by the first named, Persephonê by the second, and Athena by the third.

[6.1.10] “And going to Babylon he was entertained by Belus, and after that he went to the island of Panchaea, which lies in the ocean, and here he set up an altar to Uranus, the founder of his family. From there he passed through Syria and came to Casius, who was ruler of Syria at that time, and who gave his name to Mt. Casius. And coming to Cilicia he conquered in battle Cilix, the governor of the region, and he visited very many other nations, all of which paid honour to him and publicly proclaimed him a god.”

[6.1.11] After recounting what I have given and more to the same effect about the gods, as if about mortal men, Diodorus goes on to say: “Now regarding Euhemerus, who composed the Sacred History, we shall rest content with what has been said, and shall endeavour to run over briefly the myths which the Greeks recount concerning the gods, as they are given by Hesiod and Homer and Orpheus.” Thereupon Diodorus goes on to add the myths as the poets give them. (Eusebius, Praeparatio evangelica, 2. 2. 59B-61A.)