What if the crucifixion of Christ is a future event?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

What if the crucifixion of Christ is a future event?

Post by Giuseppe »

According to the four mythicist authors:
1) G. A. Wells: Paul placed the crucifixion of Jesus in the distant past on the earth
2) Robert Price: the early Christians placed the crucifixion of Jesus before the creation of the world
3) Earl Doherty: Paul placed the crucifixion of Jesus in the recent past in the air
4) Roger Parvus: Paul placed the crucifixion of Jesus in the recent past in the earth

Now we have Eli of Kittim:
Eli of Kittim is a published author and an expert on Bible prophecy. Under his real name he has published articles in numerous prestigious journals and magazines, such as "The American Journal of Psychoanalysis," the "Aegean Review" (which has published work by Jorge Luis Borges, Lawrence Durrell, Truman Capote, Alice Bloom), and the "International Poetry Review" (a literary translation journal), among others. He is an award-winning author of the Christian-nonfiction book, "The Little Book of Revelation: The First Coming of Jesus at the End of Days." This is a well-supported, twenty-year study of the Bible that attempts to substantiate the truth of Christ’s visitation and origin. The author concludes that the Biblical story of Jesus is prophetic rather than historical. He argues that the First Coming of Jesus is yet to come!

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6 ... _Of_Kittim

From what I can infer from the his views shown online, this author argues that the early Christians and also the First Euhemerizer ("Mark") placed the death of Jesus "in the fulness of time", i.e. at the End of World.

If I understand well, the order of implication is not the following:

Paul believed that Christ was crucified and risen-----> therefore the End is coming

...but the following:

Paul believed that the End is coming----> therefore the Christ is going to be crucified and risen.

This remembers me what a historicist scholar said (unfortunately I can't remember the link): for the apocalyptic thought, the future is already present. Or something of similar.

He was talking about the fact that the pre-existence of Jesus was a feature given to him only after the Resurrection Event.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: What if the crucifixion of Christ is a future event?

Post by Giuseppe »

About 1 Cor 2:6-8 and the ignorance of the 'rulers', he writes:
Who could have thought that Christ, who has been preached for two millennia, would be revealed for the very first time at the end of the world?
(The Little Book of Revelation: The First Coming of Jesus at the End of Days, Eli of Kittim, p. 76)

Apart the evident flaw of the claim (I hope that the reader is able alone to recognize it), I think that there is much truth in it. The crucifixion/revelation of Christ is so unexpected - going to happen just now, at the End of the World, that even the demons - the rulers of this world - aren't realizing it.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

The crucifixion is spoken of in the past tense.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

lsayre wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:04 am The crucifixion is spoken of in the past tense.
clearly. But the point made by the author is more complex.

Usually even the other mythicists think that the belief in the resurrection provoked the apocalypticism

At contrary, their apocalypticism persuaded the early Christians that Jesus is crucified just then and only then, and not vice versa.

If the coming End is sign of the defeat of the rulers, then the rulers have already sinned by crucifying the Son of God, without even knowing it.