Who is condemned by the Son of Man in Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Who is condemned by the Son of Man in Marcion

Post by Giuseppe »

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.” 39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

(Mark 9:38-40)

The independant exorcist will be Condemned in Matthew 7:22-23 :
Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

But it is interesting to know who is condemned in Mark 8:38 :

If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory...

If the reference is to the denial of Peter (notoriously one who is ashamed of a suffering Christ), then there would be an inconsistency here. Peter was denying that the condemned man was his true Christ. He was correct, afterall, in the original (separationist) version of proto-Mark: the man before the sinedrites who was going to be beaten and crucified was really not the Christ (the latter being ascended to heaven by proclaiming the words of Mark 14:62). Hence I think that the episode of the Peter's denial is a judaizing interpolation.

This is another evidence that the Son of Man is the Messiah of the demiurge. Being a right judge, the Demiurge would have punished all the people who had abandoned the Christ of the Good God: these people were his own property.

But who precisely was meant as who is ashamed of the Christ of the Good God?

The best candidates are the people of Nazareth: they are rejecting Jesus by believing him the son of the lost Sophia (“Mary”) and the demiurge (“carpenter”), and by claiming the knowledge of the his brothers and sisters (the Patriarchs and the daughters of men) hence it is right that the demiurgical Messiah, the Son of Man, will punish all them.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Who is condemned by the Son of Man in Marcion

Post by Giuseppe »

Accordingly, it is possible to imagine that the author of the Earliest Gospel was an enemy of the “people of Nazareth”, i.e. the sect of the Nazarenes who adored a pre-christian deity named “Jesus Nazarene”.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.