Where does Paul praise an anonymous preacher of a Gospel?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John2

Re: Where does Paul praise an anonymous preacher of a Gospel?

Post by John2 »

This is an interesting subject. I was unaware of it, and it's fun to guess, and my guess is Barnabas. He is the only person I see who is named in the same verse as Titus (like the anonymous brother and Titus in 2 Cor. 8:16-21).

Gal. 2:1:
Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also.
And since this was an important meeting, Barnabas must have been an important person, as important as Titus. And Paul is also upset that "even" Barnabas had been swayed by James' faction in Gal. 2:13. (And maybe this incident is what led Paul -or a redactor- to not mention his name in 2 Cor. 8 and 12:18.)

And the anonymous brother is mentioned in the context of receiving funds ("What is more, he was chosen by the churches to accompany us as we carry the offering, which we administer in order to honor the Lord himself and to show our eagerness to help. We want to avoid any criticism of the way we administer this liberal gift"), as is Barnabas in 1 Cor. 9:6:
Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?
So I'm going to say Barnabas.
Last edited by John2 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I think he is Jesus or Christ.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm I think he is Jesus or Christ.
Interesting! Spiritually, or in the flesh?