On the original answer of Jesus to the high priest in Mark 14:62

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

On the original answer of Jesus to the high priest in Mark 14:62

Post by Giuseppe »

Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”
62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

(Mark 14:61-62)

The words “Blessed One” and “Mighty One” seem to be there to link more strictly the question of the high priest and the answer of Jesus (to insist that the father of Jesus is the god of the Jews) but I realize a contradiction:

How can Jesus be sitting at the right hand of the creator god and in the same time be coming on the clouds ? There is an implicit contrast between a static action (who is more static than one who is sitting?) and a dinamic action (coming down on the clouds etc).

Hence the original answer of Jesus was simply:

“I am, and you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One.”

It is evident then that the interpolator had the Danielic quote in mind, but not so the original author.

Hence a doubt is cast on the identity of the father of Jesus.

But I don't think that the original author denied that the father of Jesus was the creator: after all, that was the entire goal for the invention of the Gospel Jesus! Only, he didn't the his best to make it more explicit (against Marcion). Hence the need of an interpolation to make it more clear.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: On the original answer of Jesus to the high priest in Mark 14:62

Post by Giuseppe »

Since in Mark the action of the future “seeing” the Son is strictly linked with the dinamic action of the same Son (precisely: the descending on the clouds) then also the “seeing” is an interpolation.

Logically, the high priest “will see” only who is in movement (the Son who will descend, and not the Son who is sitting). Not because they are dinosaurs, but because here the sense of the “seeing” is the sudden recognition of the Apocalypse, and this happens only after a surprising event in this world (the descending of the Son in it), not in the third heaven.

Hence Luke's answer is more original, from this POV:

66 At daybreak the council of the elders of the people, both the chief priests and the teachers of the law, met together, and Jesus was led before them. 67 “If you are the Messiah,” they said, “tell us.”
Jesus answered, “If I tell you, you will not believe me, 68 and if I asked you, you would not answer. 69 But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God.”

(Luke 22:66-68)
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.