"Servant of God" is only a man like Moses, David, etc...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: "Servant of God" is only a man like Moses, David, etc...

Post by Secret Alias »

Apologies Ben.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm But which is the evidence of this embarrassment?

Short answer: the fact that in a later hymn we have another perfect example of kenosis, one where a deity is lowered (from a high status) to transform him in a positive image of the demiurge against a previous negative image of the demiurge. This makes absolutely not a coincidence the fact that in the Hymn of Philippians the reward for the hero is his being named Kyrios, i.e. YHWH. If there is evidence of embarrassment for a deity being the bad Demiurge in a case, then why should not be identical embarrassment for a deity being not YHWH in another case?

This is the later hymn where we have another example of kenosis provoked by an identical embarrassment (the same that is behind the pre-pauline Hymn to Philippians):

This ruler, by being androgynous, made himself a vast realm, an extent without limit. And he contemplated creating offspring for himself, and created for himself seven offspring, androgynous just like their parent. And he said to his offspring, "It is I who am god of the entirety."
And Zoe (Life), the daughter of Pistis Sophia, cried out and said to him, "You are mistaken, Sakla!" – for which the alternative name is Yaltabaoth. She breathed into his face, and her breath became a fiery angel for her; and that angel bound Yaldabaoth and cast him down into Tartaros below the abyss.
Now when his offspring Sabaoth saw the force of that angel, he repented and condemned his father and his mother, matter. He loathed her, but he sang songs of praise up to Sophia and her daughter Zoe. And Sophia and Zoe caught him up and gave him charge of the seventh heaven, below the veil between above and below. And he is called 'God of the forces, Sabaoth', since he is up above the forces of chaos, for Sophia established him.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/hypostas.html

Note also the strange “coincidence”:

Now when his offspring Sabaoth saw the force of that angel, he repented and condemned his father and his mother

My God, My God, why have you cursed me?

(Mark)
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So the mythicist Jean Magne:
The function of the myth is, in essence, to restore the god of OT to the rank of supreme god. Like H.A. had succeeded his partial rehabilitation by dividing him into two characters: Ialdabaoth, precipitated, and Sabaoth, exalted, Phil 2:6-11 operates his total rehabilitation by dividing him again into two characters: his personality itself, identified with the supreme god, unspeakable, ineffable, and his Name, “Lord Sabaoth”, identified, rather badly than well, with the Savior Jesus of Jn, of the Asc. Is. and the Naassene hymn.

(source, p. 31, my bold)

As I have described it, this is a coincidence too much impossible to be a real coincidence. Hence my use of the word “evidence” is fully justified.

EDIT: Irony of who doesn't consider any Christian kenosis (hence also that described in the hymn to Philippians) as a form of euhemerization, de facto:

“I am a Christian, and I study the historical Jesus as a distinct being from the Christ of the faith”.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

FWIW, my son's name is Abdiel (Servant of God).
https://biblehub.com/1_chronicles/5-15.htm
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

arnoldo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 am FWIW, my son's name is Abdiel (Servant of God).
I had tought that you was a Catholic priest! :)
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 am
arnoldo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 am FWIW, my son's name is Abdiel (Servant of God).
I had thought that you was a Catholic priest! :)
No, I am a teacher by profession. . . Since you post/write so much on this gnostic stuff I think of you as an author/professor type.