Why Marcion lost

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why Marcion lost

Post by Giuseppe »

A rapid list of options in order of priority :

1) because the "historical Jesus" was more concrete (for the stupid hoi polloi) insofar was a real Jew from Judea and not a hologram.

2) because the Romans loved the prophecies and who was predicted by old scriptures (not decisively the marcionite Christ)

3) because of the marcionite "buddhism" in terms of sexual abstinence, etc.

Other causes?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
GakuseiDon

Re: Why Marcion lost

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am1) because the "historical Jesus" was more concrete (for the stupid hoi polloi) insofar was a real Jew from Judea and not a hologram.
I wonder if this would have mattered in the Second Century when Marcion was active. Is there evidence that the people in the Second Century would have preferred a 'fleshy' Jesus to a docetic one?
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Because a god conceived as both creator and savior is more gratifying to the religious instincts of most people?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

GakuseiDon wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:10 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am1) because the "historical Jesus" was more concrete (for the stupid hoi polloi) insofar was a real Jew from Judea and not a hologram.
I wonder if this would have mattered in the Second Century when Marcion was active. Is there evidence that the people in the Second Century would have preferred a 'fleshy' Jesus to a docetic one?
Tacitus reports the prevalent Christian information about Jesus: that Jesus was a real Jew crucified by Romans. Surely an information derived from not-docetic Christians.

In addition, Celsus seems to describe a situation where the proto-catholics are more than docetics and the various many gnostic sects in number.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Irish1975 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm Because a god conceived as both creator and savior is more gratifying to the religious instincts of most people?
Surely for the Celsus, yes, insofar he adores the creator.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Because in orthodox christianity you're allowed to fuck
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

perseusomega9 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:17 am Because in orthodox christianity you're allowed to fuck
A possibility not to be underestimated.

Also, lots of people in antiquity respected ancient religions, the older the better. Claiming that one's God was a new revelation was not a great way to tap into this "cult of the old," while claiming to be the rightful spiritual heirs of an ancient religion like Judaism might have painted a prettier picture. Jewish theologians had put a lot of work into demonstrating (whether correctly or incorrectly) the antiquity of Judaism in comparison to other groups, especially the Greeks, and (proto-)orthodox Christianity was able to take advantage of that work by treating their savior as the Christ expected by the Jewish prophets.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I think the Marcionite lay church (pardon the pun) were free and encouraged to multiply. They were in all things closely related to the Old Latin. Only the priests and the catechumen had (castration assisted) celibacy
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I don't understand about celibacy and catecbumens, how do you get lay people who can marry if the y weren't catechumens first?
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
robert j

Post by robert j »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 am
Also, lots of people in antiquity respected ancient religions, the older the better. Claiming that one's God was a new revelation was not a great way to tap into this "cult of the old," while claiming to be the rightful spiritual heirs of an ancient religion like Judaism might have painted a prettier picture. Jewish theologians had put a lot of work into demonstrating (whether correctly or incorrectly) the antiquity of Judaism in comparison to other groups, especially the Greeks, and (proto-)orthodox Christianity was able to take advantage of that work by treating their savior as the Christ expected by the Jewish prophets.
I think Ben nailed it here. Two significant factors in favor of the proto-orthodox --- the ancient roots and the foundation of the Jewish scriptures.

Sure, apparently, the Marcionites didn’t deny or outright reject the Jewish scriptures. But rather they saw them, with literal readings, as the record of the inferior, inconsistent, judgmental, and violent creator-god, the god of the Jews --- and not the record of their higher, benevolent, and previously unknown god recently revealed by his son Jesus.

It’s like a game of poker ---

Marcionites: I’ll bet ten epistles of Paul and a Gospel story
Proto-orthodox: I’ll raise you some more epistles, more Gospel stories, and the ancient scrolls of Jerusalem.

It’s a bet the Marcionites couldn’t match.

The Marcionites had a new god without a solid foundation. The proto-orthodox had a new twist on an ancient religion --- making it easy for Gentiles to fully participate with God's chosen people of Israel without all the rituals --- and they had a solid, widely respected, and ancient foundation with the Jewish scriptures.

In addition, the proto-orthodox had a mystical twist with the ancient scrolls of Jerusalem with their allegorical, typological and figurative readings that foretold the coming of Jesus Christ.