Luke 14:26 was written by Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Luke 14:26 was written by Marcion

Post by Giuseppe »

I find indirectly the reason in the following words:

The condemnation of carnal generation, the work of the devil, entails a double obligation: to hate one's parents who brought one into the world, and not to procreate.
The first obligation is clearly proclaimed by Jesus in Lk 14.26: "Whoever does not hate father and mother, wife and children, [brothers and sisters, yes and even life itself], cannot be my disciple". The same statemes occurs in the Gospel of Thomas 55 and 101, whereas Mt 10.37 mitigates this requirement in two ways: "Who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me". So, therefore, if Jesus had had a mother and brothers, he should have hated them. Consequently, the mother and brothers enumerated by his fellow citizens in Nazareth with complacency marvelling at his doctrine (Mk 6.3) reappears not to be disowned but denied: "Who are my mother and Brothers? And looking at those who sat around him, he said here are my mothers and brothers" (Mk 3.31-35; plls).

(Jean Magne, From Christianity to Gnosis and from Gnosis to Christianity, p. 210)

That great irony of the destiny, to know that this surprising Logion of Jesus is been interpreted even by the atheist Hector Avalos as evidence of the immorality of a historical Jesus, while Christian scholars have minimized this presumed immorality by introducing sociological (sic) reasons, etc.

To be sure, prof Avalos specified that the his criticism holds only if Jesus existed and he said that Logion.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Re: Luke 14:26 was written by Marcion

Post by Secret Alias »

I see no argue for Marcion's authorship in any of this. But that's par for the course.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Readers have recognized from a long time that there are clues of a conflict between Jesus and the his mother, clues sown in all the Gospels, even in the Fourth Gospel (see the miracle of Cana where Mary is portrayed as a mistress: "what have I with you, woman?").

But now we know the why. Some Christians denied that Jesus had a mother. To have a mother, and even a Jewish mother ("Mary" being the name of the sister of Moses), means be a creature of the demiurge, for Marcion.

Even when the Gnostics accepted, obtorto collo, that Jesus was born from Mary, they had a revenge by gaining the dogma of the absolute virginity of Mary.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Note that Jesus had to have brothers and sisters because the his parents, being adorers of the creator, had to have many sons in conformity to the commandament given in Genesis by the creator ("Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it").