Wepwawet "opens the way" for the king/Osiris, John the Baptist "prepares the way" for the king/Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
nightshadetwine

Wepwawet "opens the way" for the king/Osiris, John the Baptist "prepares the way" for the king/Jesus

Post by nightshadetwine »

"The Messiah Myth: The Near Eastern Roots of Jesus and David" By Thomas L. Thompson:
The frequent references to "the kingdom of God" in the gospels and sayings attributed to Jesus in the controversial gospel of Thomas all point to an earlier tradition: like king David before him, the Jesus of the Bible is an amalgamation of themes from near eastern mythology and traditions of kingship and divinity. The theme of a messiah--a divinely appointed king who restores the world to perfection--is typical of Egyptian and Babylonian royal ideology...
In this post I'm showing some more connections between the Egyptian royal coronation ceremonies and the stories of Jesus.

Isaiah 40:
“Prepare the way for the LORD in the wilderness;
make a straight highway for our God in the desert.
Mark 1:
John the Baptist Prepares the Way
The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, as it is written in Isaiah the prophet:
“will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way”
“a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.’”
And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins...

Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
Luke 3:
John the Baptist Prepares the Way
“A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.
Every valley shall be filled in,
every mountain and hill made low.
The crooked roads shall become straight,
the rough ways smooth.
And all people will see God’s salvation.’”
John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 9 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
“What should we do then?” the crowd asked.
John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”
John the Baptist "prepares the way" for the coming of the king/savior/Jesus and his judgement. He tells the people to clothe those without clothing and feed those without food. Jesus goes on to be baptized where the spirit descended on him in the form of a dove and a voice from heaven says "You are my son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased". Jesus also goes through a transfiguration, dies and resurrects.

Wepwawet "opens the way" for the king during his procession. He also "opens the way" for the mysteries of Osiris(who was also a king) and the judgement of the dead by Osiris. In the coronation hymns for the new king it is said that the hungry will be fed and the naked will be clothed. In the coronation hymns to the king god says "You are my son, the heir who came forth from my flesh" and ""I am your father, who have begotten you as a god and your members as gods." The king is baptized, becomes one with the royal "Ka", goes through a transfiguration, and does a ritual death and resurrection.

"Death and Salvation in Ancient Egypt" by Jan Assmann:
Wepwawet was represented as a jackal standing on a standard that was carried in front of the king in processions during the Archaic Period for the purpose of “opening the way” for him during his processions...The judgment scene is followed by transfiguring invocations of the deceased. Their goal is to affirm the successful outcome of the Judgment of the Dead and the triumph of the deceased:
O Osiris N., may the gate be opened to you by Seshat,
and may the goodly ways be opened to you by Wepwawet!...
Wepwawet, he opens the beautiful ways for you.
"The Dendera zodiacs as narratives of the myth of Osiris, Isis, and the child Horus" by Gyula Priskin:
Immediately above the solar disc a jackal is shown striding forward and it must stand for Wepwawet, “opener of the ways”. As he is often depicted at the front of processions, pioneering the way for the king or divine beings,57 his role is entirely concordant with conception on the one hand, and also with the calendar entries that report the launch of the ritual activities for Isis on IV Akhet 6... The animal is again a manifestation of Wepwawet,172 and he may once more feature here in his role of opening the cult activities, all the more so because he is known to have been the initiator of the Osiris mysteries as early as the Middle Kingdom. 173 The presence of Wepwawet both in the central sign of the zodiac corresponding to the death of Osiris and next to the image marking the conception of Horus (the sign of Libra) thus also pictorially expresses the interrelated nature of the two events. The iconography of the lion-headed figure, which is identical to that of Wepwawet in the decanal list in the second eastern strip of the ceiling,246 here may allude to the beginning of the momentous events that are yet to come.
https://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/anubis.html:
In other myths Anubis and Wepwawet (Upuaut) led the deceased to the halls of Ma´at where they would be judged.
"Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume I: The Old and Middle Kingdoms" edited by Miriam Lichtheim:
It also invokes his colleague the god Wep-waut ("Opener of the ways"), who played a prominent part in the annual procession and performance which enacted the life, death, and resurrection of Osiris.