Simon Magus's Epithet 'Standing One' = 'Bishop' or 'Overseer' in Aramaic

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Simon Magus's Epithet 'Standing One' = 'Bishop' or 'Overseer' in Aramaic

Post by Secret Alias »

qywm, qywmˀ (qāyōm, qāyōmā) nom.ag. standing one; overseer
Nestor. qayyōmā; Sam.: קעום.

1 standing one Gal, Sam. Marqe 1.150 : קעומה דבראשית וטור סיני ‏ the one who stood at the Creation and at Mount Sinai. (a) pl. garrison Syr.

2 protector, patron Palmyrene, Gal, CPA, Sam, Syr. PAT286:1.5 : lyqr rḥmh wqywmh in honor of his friend and patron. EphVirg 7:11 : ܐܝܟ ܩܝܘܡܐ ܗܘܐ ܠܝ̈ܬܡܐ‏ it is like a protector for orphans.

3 overseer Syr. JulSok 81(37):5 : ܘܐܩܝܡܘ ܡܗ̈ܝܡܢܐ ܘܩܝܘ̈ܡܐ ܥܠ ܐܘ̈ܣܝܣ ܕܝܠܗܘܢ ܕܠܓܘ ܘܕܠܒܪ‏ they set up trustees and overseers over their internal and external holdings. LSt.86:10 : ܐܪܦܐ ܝܗܒܿܝܢ ܠܟ ܩܝܘܡ̈ܐ ܕܬܣܒ‏ I shall permit the overseers to let you take it. P 2S8:6 : ܐܩܝܡ ܕܘܝܕ ܩܝ̈ܘܡܐ‏ . P 1K(1)5:7 : ܘܡܬܪ̈ܣܝܢ ܩܝ̈ܘܡܐ ܗܠܝܢ ܠܡܠܟܐ ܫܠܝܡܘܢ‏ . P 2Ch8:10 .

4 aide Syr. Judith 12:10 .

5 precept Syr. AphDem11.205:21 : ܝܗܒ ܩܝܘ̈ܡܐ‏ .

6 adj.: steadfast, permanent, stationary Syr, Man. BHBS.M Min I.iii.1 : ܡܝ̈ ܥ̈ܝܢܬܐ ܩܝܘ̈ܡܬܐ‏ the water of permanent springs.
Cf. BHGr 236:11.

Page refs. in other dictionaries: LS2: 1360[654]; DJPA: 489b; Drower/Macuch: 400a; Payne-Smith: ~3509; J. Payne-Smith: 503; Tal Sam: 766b; DNWSI: 1007;

View a complete KWIC
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ethan

Re: Simon Magus's Epithet 'Standing One' = 'Bishop' or 'Overseer' in Aramaic

Post by Ethan »

The Gk word for Bishop is ἐπίσκοπος, a compound of ἐπί σκοπος which is עלי צפה or 𐤏𐤋𐤉𐤑𐤐𐤄 "one that watches, one that looks about" .

Jeremiah 4:16 - The watchers(נצרים )come from a far country [מארץ]
Hab 2:1 - I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch

In the reign of Psammetichus, there were watchposts at Elephantine facing Ethiopia, (Herodotus 2:30)
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Did I ask for more stupid in my life? No thank you. I have enough stupid.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Everything in this forum is pseudo-history, none of it is supported by real history or archaeology, any evidence for a 'Simon Magus' in anything but
forged medieval documents people keep reiterating here.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But you know nothing about Hebrew or Aramaic with your endless nonsensical etymologies. Feel free to continue to engage in your mental masturbation elsewhere.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I'm wondering if that epiphet magus is a (purposeful?) corruption of megas as in Simon the Great or Great Power
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

If you knew Aramaic or Hebrew, you would understand what 𐤏𐤋𐤉𐤑𐤐𐤄 means, Theologians have corrupted the Aramaic and Hebrew language for there own self-interest and geopolitics.

Μάγος 'one of the priests and wise men in Persia'
מכנות כהנת מחשבת מקבים כהן
διακονέω μηχανεύς
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Just get out of my thread please or alternatively Peter - take this shit out to the sewage plant.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am glad you are looking into it.